Notices

Smoked a joint last night

Old 10-29-2011, 04:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smoked a joint last night

So its day 6 for me, and i'm feeling crap this morning. last night i smoked quite a strong joint, ended up going to bed stoned at 12, fell off to sleep pretty much straight away and woke at 11:30 this morning.

Skunk has been pretty much the only thing I have not been addicted to in a long time (since my teens), I can take it or leave it most of the time (alcohol and pain killers my problem) but my partner smokes it, hasn't had any for a week which means I have not been tempted up until now.

But now I feel guilty, I feel like i've cheated myself, and that I've put back my recovery by using it to get to sleep (an excuse). what an idiot!

I'm not doing it again! and i'm not drinking!

thanks for listening

AoS
Old 10-29-2011, 05:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Even though alcohol was my drug of choice, because of my propensity for any sort of mind-altering substance, I don't keep booze or dope or cough medicine, etc in my home. I know myself well. Maybe you could get rid of all that stuff? I like knowing my home is a safe-haven with no chemicals.
Old 10-29-2011, 05:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I smoked weed daily for nearly 30 years. It was definitely addictive for me.

More than that, it always lowered my inhibitions and led me into other things I would never otherwise think were a good idea.

It's so easy to get cross addicted - that is, get addicted to something else when we give up our drug of choice. I did it myself moving off weed to alcohol.

I'm glad to read you've decided to let it be AoS

D
Old 10-29-2011, 06:02 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I smoked weed daily for nearly 30 years. It was definitely addictive for me.

More than that, it always lowered my inhibitions and led me into other things I would never otherwise think were a good idea.

It's so easy to get cross addicted - that is, get addicted to something else when we give up our drug of choice. I did it myself moving off weed to alcohol.

I'm glad to read you've decided to let it be AoS

D
Totally agree on that one, as soon as I had it i wanted to drink, luckily my resolve held up

I certainly dont want to replace alcohol with something else, its actually the reason I got onto pain killers before, I was trying to quit drinking and used them as a way to dull my emotions, ultimately I ended up on both!

MsJax, I have tried to do that, the pain killers are my partners (he is not very well so is on a lot of prescription drugs) I asked him to hide them away from me some time ago, thus far that has kept me off of them. In regards to the weed though, its not for me to tell him to stop, he uses it as part of his pain reduction (he has big side effects from the drugs he is on), but I am going to ask him to put it wherever he put his other stuff

thanks for the support guys!

AoS
Old 10-29-2011, 06:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

For this alcoholic, it was never the drug or drink. It was the reasons why I took them.

Replace one drug with another and it becomes a problem. Remember that alcohol is a drug in liquid form

I hope you find the serenity to live life free of any substance
Old 10-29-2011, 07:02 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It's fine man. Just keep your mind on the goal and forget about it. Good luck
Old 10-31-2011, 05:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Some people believe in the marijuana maintenance plan. Hence the word "maintenance"...You're still depending on mood altering substances.

I'm not anti-cannabis, and will revisit the idea of smoking pot on occassion when I get more sober time under my belt (only 83 days here...). Until then, I want to get my life and recovery in order. I like weed, but it is DEFINITELY not worth any risk of relapse, so I'm pretty certain I will just avoid using it altogether.
Old 10-31-2011, 05:34 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

If I'm not around weed I don't experience the withdrawls or craving that I have with alcohol, however in the past I did try to not smoke at the same time my ex continued to smoke and that wasn't just hard it proved impossible. Unfortunately, I put down the weed when I left him and picked up the bottle. I traded one vice for another. If it's in the house, I will smoke it or drink it until it's gone or I pass out. I don't have the will to maintain a casual pace- I say that with absolute certainty because I've tested the theory over and over with the same outcome every darn time.

I wish you the best for a better day.
Old 11-01-2011, 07:50 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I did the same thing not too long ago. I used to smoke ALL the time in my teens and early 20s then stopped altogether. Hadn't smoked it in over 10 years when, after about 30 days sober from alcohol, I decided I needed a little "fun." I only had a little bit, and I'm not gonna lie, I had fun! but I felt bad, like I'd cheated on a test or something. I thought on it for a good while and I realized a few things: I wanted that smoke because I wanted to alter my mind; directly after my first hit I wanted more; my mind became preoccupied with when I could do it again. These were not healthy thoughts. I decided to lighten up on myself a bit because, truly, it taught me a nice lesson. I simply must learn to live without an altered mind. And that weak moment of smoking has made it easier for me not to drink because I know just how dissatisfying it was. I kept my original sober date and will not be smoking again.
Old 11-01-2011, 08:41 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks Foodie, you articulated exactly what I want to avoid in my own recovery...Weed just isn't a good idea for me.
Old 11-01-2011, 09:30 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Poofy View Post
Thanks Foodie, you articulated exactly what I want to avoid in my own recovery...Weed just isn't a good idea for me.
ditto to that, ive been very good since, thanks for all the replies everyone

AoS
Old 11-01-2011, 11:47 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Professional Alcoholic

I don't believe once you quit drinking you have to quit everything else and live by AA's standards. If you never had a problem smoking a joint, I see no reason not to continue doing so. Walker