Notices

Where oh where is my bottom??

Old 10-28-2011, 10:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Where oh where is my bottom??

Hello everyone! For those who remember me- I am back. Only this time, wiser, more mature, and have a much stricter probation.

To sum it all up over my lifespan on Sober Recovery...

1. I passed out peeing and my "wife found me"
2. I join this board in search of support, go to my first AA meeting
3. I go back to drinking and justify my 2 years of drinking as a "habit"
4. Wreck my car into an RTA bus in a total blackout
5. I am having marriage problems
6. "Serious" about quitting, stopped drinking

Since then- let me update you on my life as an alcoholic who didnt learn.

7. Two months sober and my wife cheats on me openly
8. Begin drinking again thinking this time it will be different.
9. Divorce
10. Meet a new girl and am honest about my alcoh, get married with her knowing im an alcoholic
11. She is 110% supportive toward my recovery and my occasional slips, which my addiction exploits
12. Drink for a year
13. Wreck another car, on the run from the cops, hide face down in a river for 3 hours in a spotty blackout thinking to myself "I had four drinks too many", and I shouldn't have guzzled that extra booze.
14. Jail - almost losing my wife, step-daughter, and job
15. 3 year reporting probation
16. 4 AA meetings a week, have sponsor, working step 4
17. two months sober and relapse.
Somehow I feel that people are going to feel that this sexy celory stick, isnt so sexy.

Its crazy to think in the AA meetings I attend- people talk about being "dry drunk" for 2 years for not doing the AA program. Hell, I would love to be dry drunk for two years. At least that means I would be making some sort of progress.

I highlighted where I once thought was my bottom. Now looking back on it I can only wish that is where it really ended.

I do want to thank Sober Recovery to a great extent. I am on step four of my 12 step- and I remember things with my ex-wife a lot differently than what I posted here. This tells me I have warped my memories to meet my standards. *smacks head* I cant tell you how important it is to know this.

Hello again, SR.
Old 10-28-2011, 10:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

hello again SCS
I really hope this time can be your time

D
Old 10-29-2011, 12:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome back! I remember you.

As to where is your bottom?? Your bottom is wherever you choose to stop digging. You've gone pretty far down but you are alive, breathing and still have your mental capacity. Surrender and win my friend and get the hell out of that elevator.

Hugs,
Kellye
Old 10-29-2011, 04:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome back to SR SexyCelory

AoS
Old 10-29-2011, 05:16 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Call before you drink, if you don't want to drink.

It's not especially complicated, and in a way that displays whether or not you understand the 1st step.

It appears you still think there is something good left for you in a drink. Looking at what that illusion is might help.
Old 10-29-2011, 05:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome back, I remember you from my early days here.

It doesn't matter so much where your bottom is, it matters what you do today. Go to an AA meeting (or two) today and don't drink. Tomorrow repeat that.
Old 10-29-2011, 06:00 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Poison Eater Extraordinaire

lol, I thought this was a post about someone losing a lot of weight due to not drinking!

This is precisely why I have never gotten hung up on the term "hitting bottom" in recovery. It can always get worse. What matters is if you really want to stop drinking more than you want to continue drinking.
Old 10-29-2011, 06:31 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome back. I certainly hope you can stop drinking for good this time before something even worse happens to you (or someone else).
Old 10-29-2011, 06:34 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Welcome back SCS.

The consequences of 'hitting my bottom' didn't seem to detour me from drinking again. They did however eventually bring into sharp focus that I needed to quit drinking.

Good see you have a recovery action plan. That's what helps me too.
Old 10-29-2011, 07:38 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

Sexycelerystick: Apparently you have only tried 12 step programs so far. Perhaps it would be helpful to you to approach your recovery from a different angle. For example, you could try SMART Recovery:

SMART Recovery® | Self Help for Addiction & Alcohol Abuse

Also, there's a very good discussion going on in the Secular Connections forum about AVRT, which strikes me as an extremely straightforward approach.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-part-2-a.html
Old 10-29-2011, 11:01 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Well I know where my bottom will be if I keep drinking, and that is dead. Wrecking two cars not involving others, and being able to walk away is just short of a miracle.

Looking into SMART, I notice that they do not offer any of those in my area :-\
Old 10-29-2011, 11:26 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

It may be heretical for a big book thumper like me to disagree with Bill W. but on this point I do disagree. I do not believe in bottoms unless you are talking about the bottom of a grave. The motivation to make a change had to come from inside me, not from some new external disaster of my own making.
Old 10-29-2011, 12:04 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back!

You can decide where your bottom is, and you don't need to go down any further than you are now.

You are right to be grateful that you are still alive. Can you accept that the life you have right here today is a gift? I hope that you can make it this time.
Old 10-29-2011, 12:09 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

I believe that YOUR bottom is wherever YOU decide it is. Many of us got into legal troubles with alcohol, but that wasn't necessarily our bottom. It was two years after I went through the DUI process that I reached MY bottom, and it wasn't some catastrophic event that told me it was my bottom. It was the realization that I had had ENOUGH! I was sitting at home at my computer when I realized it. I wasn't in any trouble, but I was drinking. At that very moment, I said ENOUGH, and called a detox center and checked myself in that night. I didn't care if I lost my job (I didn't), it was my LIFE I was thinking of.

Bottoms can come in many ways, but, IMHO, it's when you KNOW in your heart of hearts that you are DONE, that you will do whatever it takes to make the necessary changes.
Old 10-29-2011, 03:30 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

Originally Posted by SexyCeloryStick View Post
Well I know where my bottom will be if I keep drinking, and that is dead. Wrecking two cars not involving others, and being able to walk away is just short of a miracle.

Looking into SMART, I notice that they do not offer any of those in my area :-\
They have two online meetings every day, a 24/7 chatroom, and a totally different perspective than what you are used to. I'm not saying it's right for you or that you'll like it, I'm just suggesting that you not give up on it because there are no meetings in your area. There are many different approaches to sobriety: if you've tried only one, I do think you owe it to yourself to see what else is out there.

And...we'd really love to have you over at the Secular Connections forum.
Old 10-29-2011, 05:41 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I have...

Crashed two cars whilst drunk(luckily only hurting myself)
Woke up in the police station twice with no memory of getting there(two minor assault charges)
Been so drunk i have wet myself
Insulted my parents/ sister
Apparently threatened my (ex)girlfriend
Been sectioned as i was found in a field in my socks knee deep in icy water thinking i was an android(psychotic episode brought on by withdrawl)
Missed many days at work
Slashed my arms

Those are just a few and i have still not hit bottom, to be honest i think i'll hit bottom when i'm lying in the mortuary. I know drink is killing me but i still drink.
Old 10-29-2011, 05:50 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope, like me, that you're luckier than that Nineteen67.

I really believe our bottom is when we stop digging that hole for ourselves...

it really is about deciding not to live our old life one more second and learning to make different decisions and choices backing that up, I think

what kind of support do you have?
D
Old 10-29-2011, 09:11 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
I used to ask myself this same question. The answer came when I finally realized that there was no bottom.
Old 10-30-2011, 10:31 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

13. Wreck another car, on the run from the cops, hide face down in a river for 3 hours in a spotty blackout thinking to myself "I had four drinks too many", and I shouldn't have guzzled that extra booze.
That is definitely some gangster ****.
Old 10-30-2011, 03:15 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

It seems like some people use "hitting bottom" as an excuse to keep drinking, "oh I'll just keep drinking until I hit my bottom" I'm not addressing anyone in particular, just sayin'...