Notices

Anyone work in the bar industry?

Old 10-17-2011, 10:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anyone work in the bar industry?

So I’m in recovery (obviously) and Saturday night for extra money and the experience I worked as a bouncer at a high end night club. I watched people drink all night and it really didn’t bother me or make me want to drink. The two times I have drank / relapsed in the past two years was when I was very emotional, alone and depressed. Saturday I fought in a jiujitsu tournament all day then bounced that night. When my head hit the pillow that night it felt great winning a medal that day and earning extra money for my craft. The other bouncers I work with have been training with me for years and know I’m in AA.

Guess I am just curious if anyone else has any experience being in recovery and working in that industry.
Old 10-17-2011, 10:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Just wanted to pop in & say congrats RWS, I am not in the bar industry but I did spend a lot of time drinking in them in the past. I think I may have had help exiting some establishments from others in your industry in the past but its always a little blurry ;-)

Take care & keep up the great work. I have been thinking of taking some martial arts for the discipline & exercise (its always good to have a few moves if backed into a corner).

All of the best ~ NB
Old 10-17-2011, 11:49 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I work in the bar industry. It's a necessity at the moment. I also got sober while working in the bar business and it really hasn't bothered me all that much. I'm only 76 days sober but have worked practically every Friday and Saturday in a bar. For the most part it doesn't really trigger me to want to drink but I can't say that I've never had cravings while working since stress is one of my triggers. Working in a high volume bar and dealing with not only drunks as clients but my co-workers are also heavy drinkiers. I find that have more of a craving to want to drink while sitting at home alone than busy at the bar for some reason.

I ended up telling everyone that I have a serious liver condition since they knew me as a heavy drinker. It's surprising that I still get some pressure to drink having said that but sometimes I do. I just have it in my mind that I'm not going to drink and I don't. This is a temporary job but I figure alcohol is everywhere and I can't avoid it so I need to learn to deal with being around it. I need to learn how to live as a non drinker. Now personally unless I'm working I will not go to a bar where drinking is the primary activity because that's not fun for me but I'll go to concerts or other things that have alcohol there but alcohol isn't the focus. This is just me though.

Congrats on your sobriety and your medal. I'm into martial arts to so completely understand the attraction to the sport although my ground game isn't my strongest suit.
Old 10-17-2011, 03:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yes I bartended and waitressed for years.

It was much easier to drink when I didn't have to get up in the morning.

Getting out of the business was tough on the wallet but easy on the organs.
Old 10-17-2011, 08:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Yes....I did for many years....in restaurants ..bars...hotels..clubs..lounges.
I loved the whole deal...quick cash...late nights...guys to flirt with...
sitting around after closeing drinking free drinks...

I had been a waitress..bar tender..hostess.....asistant manager and manager.
Never worked in a place that had a bouncer tho.

I usually worked in Union houses...no drinking on the job was allowed...
grounds for instant fireing...ruined your rep too.

I was not staying sober doing that type of work...tho I sure tried. No one pressured me to drink.

To protect my early sobreity....I took an office job...reglar hours...no
fast money...actually lost much income but no stress and no "footprint" of alcohol..

worked out great for me...

Glad your sobreity continues and your winning prizes for your talent too..
Old 10-17-2011, 08:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I work in the industry and it's easy not to drink once i have my mind set on it!! Plus its work.. I have a much harder time when im by myself at home and bored..

Congrats on your metal!!
Old 10-17-2011, 09:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I've been a professional musician for around 25 years now. In the last decade (before I bottomed out) I worked exclusively for high end clubs in 5 star hotels.

My take - only for me mind you - is that I couldn't remain sober given the circumstances of my work. Having said that, being a bouncer is a much different job than being a musician. In my situation, colleagues and patrons were literally shoving drinks in my face non stop, and partying was almost a job requirement (or so I often rationalized) whereas a bouncer is usually not accosted with drinks in such frequency, since your task is maintaining control of a bunch of drunk wankers.

I've met sober bartenders, bouncers, and waitresses in my tenure though, quite a few in my time. All had come to grips with their alcoholism and were dealing fine behind a bar pouring drinks for others, or throwing out a rowdy football fan or 10.

For me though, I can only say that it wasn't until I switched my focus from being a club musician to a producer and staying the hell out of 'Dodge' that I accumulated the most sober time I've had since I was a child. It was always just too easy to screw the pooch when I was gigging in that capacity. Thing is, to this day I get gig offers - and initially always think to myself "yeah, that money could help my wife and I a lot right now." Then I remember that every time I was in a band and gigging in bars I would blow every dime earned on partying and drinking. So whenever I get the offer to return to the scene of my crime(s) I turn it down, knowing that if there's the slightest possibility of getting burned, I'd do best to steer clear of raging infernos.

Maybe after a few more sober years I'll be capable to revisit those haunts and play live music again without the temptations, professional pressures, et all. Right now it's just not an option for me. I guess in the end it's up to you and how much the drinking and partying triggers you. If it is touching nerves, my advice would be to find other work. If it's not feeling like a big deal then you're likely fine.
Old 10-18-2011, 03:08 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yep, my first time getting sober back in 97 I was in AA for my first time and at the same time I was a bouncer at two different bars. A country bar and a Bikini bar at the same time.

It was not good to be honest with ya. At the end of kicking everyone out all 5 of us bouncers, all the girl waitstaff, and the bar tenders would get 2 free beers and sit around having a few till everyone that worked there was ready to go home.

Since I was in AA for my first time I was always the "odd man out" and I got a lot ribbing/prodding because of it. It was not easy that's for sure. What I did back then was just to kick people out, clean up the tables and then just leave. No reason to hang out and shoot the s&*^ with people that were just sitting there drinking was my feelings.

Just stick to your guns when it comes to sobriety. It takes discipline to learn martial arts and view sobriety as a discipline as well. It's work up front but pays off in the long run just like other learned crafts

But far as bouncing, if you want my honest opinion. Give it up. I did it for years and the pay is crap and it's not worth being around drinks for 4-6 hrs per day for $7-$10 per hour. You'd be better off doing something else with that time IMO.

Steve
Old 10-18-2011, 07:24 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks for the input everyone, I really appreciate it.

I do have a full time office job, been working at the same place for 6yrs now. The bouncing was 15$ an hour cash. I'll give it some thought, if anything though I can look back and say I did it once, kind of cool!!
Old 10-18-2011, 10:24 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
MINEr

I have worked as a chef for over twenty years, and quit drinking over four months ago. There have been some touch and go moments, but I am getting stronger every day as long as I stick to my program of Group therapy and AA. I do find myself not being triggered much by alcohol influences, ie: the liquor aisle, seeing friends drink, ads, etc. and I think that is in part to do my constant immersion in an alcohol feuled enviornment. I am a bit sad I can't have our bourbon bread pudding anymore though,

camedown
Old 10-19-2011, 06:04 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Hi RWS - congrats on being sober and the medal.

My partner is a bartender - how apt, we met at the bar. Lord knows why he agreed to go out with me after seeing me drunk, but 5 years later it's worked out OK.

I had to "DJ" once at a party my sister organised at a local venue. I was 2 weeks sober and I ended the night tired, miserable and just ready for bed. I didn't drink, but it made me feel crappy, so I am avoiding bars for the moment, until I'm further along in my journey.
Old 10-19-2011, 07:29 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I guess it really depends on what YOU are looking for. I worked the door at the same beach club here for 2 years, one doorman (more polite word than bouncer) on weeknights, and two of us on weekends. 15/hr cash weekdays, and 20/hr weekends shift was 9-2am. For me it wasn't really an issue of drinking at work, but socializing afterwards. When you're the only cat working a place it keeps you on your toes, and I figured I couldn't afford not to be 100% on my game. As long as I didn't stay after hours to hang out in a locked up bar with a bunch of geeked out bartenders and random strippers, I wouldn't drink. Usually after a sober night of watching people at their absolute worst I had very little desire to drink. One thing is for certain, and that's you get an invaluable education on in the biz. The kitchen staff smoked pot in the walk in cooler all night, the barman and cocktail waitstaff would sniff blow in the bathrooms all night, and a few nights a month the other doorman would get drunk around 1 and leave me to close the place down. I regret little of it, as it was a baptism of fire education, and sent me off seeking other "resort" jobs. Ultimately you know what you want out of life, and I don't think it's to work in a bar. Keep focused on your training, and you'll stay clean. I have a similar background started wrestling at 5, wrestled through school, got into Judo in college and was doing open weight class submission wrestling tournaments. Never could get into working off my back, so I prefered Judo to Jits, but after you wrestle for so long it's like there's a button in your back and when it hits the mat your mind says "SCRAMBLE!!". I always found the harder I trained, the cleaner I stayed, and the better all aspects of my life were. Good to see young people getting so proactive about staying sober.
Old 10-19-2011, 09:42 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

camedown.....well done on your sober time....

I also do not eat alcohol ..gave that up too 22+ years ago.
There are so many other tasty options...

Recently...a new restaurant...with AA friends...I had not looked at the menu...busy talking
did not ask the waiter how my side dish of mixed mushrooms had been prepared.

When served....Gee! they reeked of burdendy ...sent them back quickly
switched to a Baked Sweet Potato with Cinnamon butter.

I learned very early in my recovery to smell before I eat or drink..