Notices

you are never safe

Old 10-16-2011, 01:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

you are never safe

it will be five years sober for me on 23rd of this month, i've been doing really well and have never been tempted to drink again until last week i was at a friends wedding and i suddenly got the urge to just have the one drink.
luckily for me my wife was with me and talked me out of it.
it kind of freaked me out a bit how i could go from not wanting a drink to suddenly wanting one and how easily my whole life could have changed because of it.
so my message is do not let your guard down....ever
Old 10-16-2011, 01:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi dave65. That's how I picked up again back in 2006 after being sober over 6 years. Went on a 5 year bender. Complacency. Thank you for posting that.
Old 10-16-2011, 01:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Glad to hear you changed your mind. What do you believe would have happened if your wife was not along with you that day?
Old 10-16-2011, 02:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Well done Dave for not picking up that drink, and congratulations on 5 year sobriety. Scary to think it is still lurking in the shadows, waiting to catch you unawares, even 5 years on A lesson to us all I guess.

Thank you.

M
Old 10-16-2011, 02:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dave65 View Post
it will be five years sober for me on 23rd of this month, i've been doing really well and have never been tempted to drink again until last week i was at a friends wedding and i suddenly got the urge to just have the one drink.
luckily for me my wife was with me and talked me out of it.
it kind of freaked me out a bit how i could go from not wanting a drink to suddenly wanting one and how easily my whole life could have changed because of it.
so my message is do not let your guard down....ever
thanks for your honesty. it seems to be getting more and more rare. i will be hitting 4 years and 9 months in a few days myself. i would be lying if i said the (thought) of having a beer had not crossed my mind from time to time. the thing is that i know it would NOT be one or even just many! for us Alcoholics one is too many and a Million Ain't Enough!
Old 10-16-2011, 03:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Dave .... thanks so much for sharing and happy five years!

This has happened to me several times during sobriety (20 years) and it's always frightening. Out of nowhere comes this strong desire to drink! One time at my brother's home, eight people having Easter dinner. I knew everyone well, I'd eaten with them before. Essentially I'd been in this exact situation many times. Also sober 15 years! Suddenly the bottle of wine being passed practically screamed my name! I couldn't stop focusing on the bottle until I got away from the table. Ran to a meeting and shared about it. Later I decided it was a gift ... I got directly in touch with my disease, stopped taking it for granted.
Old 10-16-2011, 09:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

congrats
yeah, the thing to remember, no matter what reasoning, is to NOT drink it. as I'm sure you know, this disease is a tricky, slick, car salesman of a mental button pusher... so no matter what it claims, just don't do it!