Notices

the ups and downs I pushed through this one

Old 10-13-2011, 06:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

the ups and downs I pushed through this one

I had an arguement with my parents and ended up packing all my stuff up and leaving. After visiting a crisis centre I had no options It was sleeping in the car or a friend that I didn't know that well that let me crash at her house for a couple nights which was very good of her. The marijuarna was around and so was alcohol but I didn't pick up. I knew that no matter how I felt at this moment I will be better off in the long run not to drink or to take drugs. I'm now home and glad that when I was at my most vulnerable I didn't get high or drunk. I suppose I'll put it down to a good life experience that I don't want to get in ever again.

I did put myself at risk. Don't know where the next step will be, renting, buying small unit or staying home all I know is that I diffused the situation I told my parents I was OK and where I was staying. I'm kinda lost at the moment I'm almost 6 months sober I want to move out but worry about the isolation of moving out on my own and the costs involved as I've never moved out before because of mental health issues. Don't want to go back to where I spent a couple nights. Don't want to live in a refuge, halfway house, hostel. I'll will have a talk to my parents tomorrow don't know how they feel, I know I'm always welcome here but I'm 30 and alot of my mental health issues have improved so its hard to say what's next. It seems that my parents don't listen until I do something drastic like this. This is the sort of thing that happens when your drinking not when your sober?
Old 10-13-2011, 07:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congratulations on not giving in! Great accomplishment! It is great that you're working things out with your Mom and Dad and talking to people about your options.

I actually think good and bad things happen all the time - drunk or sober. Our reactions and handling of the situation are just totally different.

Sober is definitely the way to go!
Old 10-13-2011, 08:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That's amazing Checkmate! What an achievement

Do you have a healthcare professional (e.g. pysychiatrist/psychologist/PHN) that you could speak to re your living situation? I know you don't want to enter a halfway house or hostel, but they might be able to suggest other solutions or offer you support if you decide to rent an apartment, for example? They also might offer you extra support in the form of house visits and/or a day care programme so your not as isolated? Obviously it would be dependent on your current mental health condition, but a professional would be able to figure this out with you.

Well done again!!

M
Old 10-13-2011, 10:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Checkmate,

Great that you didn't pick up. I have a question for you. Do you find that you have an overwhelming urge to leave during a confrontation? If so do you find that the thinking upon which you base your decision to go dissolves away later on leaving you feeling confused and remorseful? Let me know

Courage

Aiden
Old 10-13-2011, 06:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome back to SR Aiden ....
Old 10-13-2011, 06:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I'm glad you did go back home....
Prayers continue for you and your parents
Old 10-14-2011, 01:32 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Aiden View Post
Hi Checkmate,

Great that you didn't pick up. I have a question for you. Do you find that you have an overwhelming urge to leave during a confrontation? If so do you find that the thinking upon which you base your decision to go dissolves away later on leaving you feeling confused and remorseful? Let me know

Courage

Aiden
not always in all confrontations but yeah after I left the house I did feel confused and remorseful.