Notices

Third Time Lucky...?

Old 10-11-2011, 07:09 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

In order to stay sober, alcohol had to become at best neutral to me. Neutral or worse, basically.

My logic went like this:
FACT: I can no longer drink in the quantities I did. It is ruining my life.
FACT: Drinking less is mostly impossible, at best very difficult.
FACT: Drinking a 'normal' amount would not be satisfying even if I could do it (see fact #2).
ERGO: Not drinking ever again will be much more satisfying to me.

After I really 'got' that alcohol became kind of neutral to me. I am physically incapable of having a normal relationship with it. I don't envy the people who can drink it any more than I envy people who are 4 inches taller than me (so, sometimes, fleetingly).

GL to you!
Old 10-11-2011, 11:59 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Soberlicious, OTT, SSIL75, thank you for your replies

Soberlicious: Thanks for the encouragement. It's funny but when you say that you drank instead of eat with your kids, alternated stores etc., it sounds like a much bigger problem than when I say I do these things... I guess that's the power of denial? It really helps put things into perspective and was quite an eye opener for me. Yes, this really is a problem. I have a habit of acknowledging (to a degree) that I have a problem but then thinking, nah, it's not that bad really.

SSIL75: That's a great way to look at it. Your Fact #3 was something I never really thought about. When I try to convince myself that I'll just try drinking moderately, I never actually ask myself what is moderate drinking? Is it two glasses of wine? Hmmm... Two glasses are my 'appetiser'! Who's going to be happy with having just the appetiser when they're ravenously hungry? Right, so that's moderate drinking out of the question then (damn!!).

So today is day 3 and I actually woke up in a good mood, despite not sleeping much. But then a series of things happened (nothing major) that stressed me out, delayed me at work and meant I was playing catch-up all day. Traffic on the way home was insane and I was stressing that I would be late collecting my son. By the time we got home, I was in a terrible mood As soon as I got through the front door, I was like a demon (I'm sure it's no coincidence that this is usually when I start drinking too). Absolutely everything is annoying me. AND, my son is in bed, asleep now and I've just realised I've run out of cigarettes and can't go get some because he's asleep. I want to scream!!!!!

I just need a good night sleep and some cigarettes. NOT a bottle of wine as my head would like me believe.

Sorry for yet another rant but I'm just p*ssed off irritable.

M