Notices

Ten Myths About Being an Alcoholic

Old 10-22-2011, 04:30 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

it got to the point with me ,as people started getting psyched about the arrival of the weekend , i would have this sense of dread,as i knew Saturday would turn into an uncontrollable bender for which i would pay dearly and then taper off into Sunday afternoon to regroup for Monday where i would then resume my maintenance drinking throughout the week! How crazy is it to dread the arrival of your bender as if you had no control to stop it?. that to me became shear madness... One Saturday i had to pick my mother up at airport late into Saturday evening which meant i had to completely abstain that day and was really put out by that , instead of grateful i wasnt drinking! God it gets really sickening at times!
Old 10-24-2011, 10:23 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

I held down the best job I ever had, shoot, actually excelled at it while I was hitting my worst. We drank in the owner's office every Monday, sometimes at our desks toward the end of the day and had many (wild) company sponsored/employee attended outings (happy hours, birthday parties, etc) where many employees would get completely bombed.

A lot of the people I worked with were alcoholics, really the only reason I got canned was because I teed-off on my boss and was told that I was a "liability" because me behavior was unpredictable. If I learned anything from that job, it was how to be a sneakier alcoholic because I was surrounded by them every day.

The strangest (kind of funniest, in an ironic way, to me at least) was that the "rock" that held down the department I worked in was a very vocal recovering alcoholic and drug addict. Like, the kind of guy that would announce to the whole department that he was leaving early because he had to go give a lead at an AA meeting that evening, or had to leave early because one of his AA friends was in a bad way or he had choir or whatever. He'd show up for the Happy Hours and all of that too. He was a nice guy that was willing to help anybody, I don't know, he just rubbed me the wrong way because it seemed like he needed to constantly announce his sobriety. Maybe to validate it in his own mind, maybe just because he was a jerk or had mental problems, not sure. Struck me as odd though, not to mention annoying. I understand where if you're at a meeting, that you'd talk about those things or with other recovering alcoholics/addicts but he outed several people I had known from other places as "being in the program" and even tried to actively recruit me to go to meetings with him.
Old 10-25-2011, 01:07 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Now that i'm sober I wonder sometimes how I never got fired. A lot of unproductive days and the difference now is quite remarkable.