Notices

What to to on a long weekend

Old 10-05-2011, 02:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What to to on a long weekend

I'm planning a long weekend in a few weeks with my wife to celebrate our anniversary. I have no idea what to do if I'm not going to drink. That's been a central activity in every vacation I've taken as an adult. Over the past few years I've lost any passion I had for just about any activities, and those I can even see myself doing take maybe 45 minute to an hour. What do I do with three days in a hotel room?

There is quite literally nothing I've come up with that doesn't seem like a waste of time and money. Why drive several hours and stay in a hotel when there is nothing particulary special about the destination?

This is probably depression, and that leads to frustration and anxiety, and that will ultimately lead back to bad habits. I'd like to figure out a way to get out of the spin before I throw away fledgling sobriety in order to have a little "fun".
Old 10-05-2011, 02:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

How about: walks, bike rides, swimming, hot tubbing, both you folks get a professional massage, read your wife a love poem or 3, go to local museums, history tour of the town, the horseback-riding that seems to be missing out of several other vacations in current threads, get yourself a new camera and take art photos of your wife and the scenery, restaurants, picnics in scenic spots, naps, reminiscing, surprises for each other (little gifts you've bought in advance, and finally...take in an AA meeting in a new town!! Dang I would make a good husband...

Hope it turns into the trip of a lifetime and just think...you will remember it all!
Old 10-05-2011, 05:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dawnrunner View Post
How about: walks, bike rides, swimming, hot tubbing, both you folks get a professional massage, read your wife a love poem or 3, go to local museums, history tour of the town, the horseback-riding that seems to be missing out of several other vacations in current threads, get yourself a new camera and take art photos of your wife and the scenery, restaurants, picnics in scenic spots, naps, reminiscing, surprises for each other (little gifts you've bought in advance, and finally...take in an AA meeting in a new town!! Dang I would make a good husband...

Hope it turns into the trip of a lifetime and just think...you will remember it all!
Those all sound fabulous. Makes ME want to take off for a weekend!
Old 10-05-2011, 07:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

first....congratulations to both of you for having an anniversary to celebrate....

Ask your wife what she would like to do....then go do it without complaining After all there are two of you going.....

you could also request the hotel remove any liquor from the mini bar in your room...bring along your favorite
non alcoholic beverage to keep cool instead...

Last edited by CarolD; 10-05-2011 at 07:48 PM.
Old 10-05-2011, 07:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Aegian....Welcome to our recovery community and to our Alcoholism forum..

Wishing you all the best recovery offers...
Old 10-06-2011, 08:35 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

"There is quite literally nothing I've come up with that doesn't seem like a waste of time and money. Why drive several hours and stay in a hotel when there is nothing particulary special about the destination?"

Nothing special about the destination? Now I don't believe that.

Think of this as a time to make happy and sober memories with your wife.
Old 10-06-2011, 01:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

If you don't mind my asking, where are you going?
Old 10-06-2011, 02:03 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
rode hard and put away wet

If there is nothing special about the destination then why did you choose it for an anniversary celebration? Also, is your wife not fun to be around? Do you not enjoy spending time alone with her?
Old 10-06-2011, 02:08 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

You + wife + hotel room + 3 days = Cramps in muscles you didn't know you had and verging dehydration through excessive sweating surely?
Old 10-06-2011, 02:09 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
rode hard and put away wet

Wink

I know, right?
Old 10-06-2011, 02:54 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

See, this is the self centeredness that we come into early sobriety with. Others have hinted at it... Um... This trip is about you and your wife celebrating your anniversary, not some test of your sobriety.

I can say this to you... Because I felt the same freakin' way at first, I know how you feel. Been there, done that.

It takes practice, it does, understanding that the world does not revolve around our sobriety. My wife has no tolerance for that B.S.... Go and celebrate your love for each other!! And bring a shoehorn, LOL. I know I had to the first year or so.
Old 10-06-2011, 08:31 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Gone In

Originally Posted by Tyl3r View Post
...There is quite literally nothing I've come up with that doesn't seem like a waste of time and money...
I found drinking to be a waste of time and money. Among other things. Good on you for being self aware enough to recognize these negative emotions, I bet if you go in the right frame of mind you'll find yourself having a great time, alcohol free
Old 10-07-2011, 07:39 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mark75 View Post
See, this is the self centeredness that we come into early sobriety with. Others have hinted at it... Um... This trip is about you and your wife celebrating your anniversary, not some test of your sobriety.

I can say this to you... Because I felt the same freakin' way at first, I know how you feel. Been there, done that.

It takes practice, it does, understanding that the world does not revolve around our sobriety. My wife has no tolerance for that B.S.... Go and celebrate your love for each other!! And bring a shoehorn, LOL. I know I had to the first year or so.
I agree, focus on the two of you not just your drinking..
Old 10-07-2011, 08:21 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
All of dawnrunner's suggestions are wonderful...dawnrunner, will you marry me?? LOL

Personally, I would add a couple's pedicure, shoe shopping, and a trip to the local parlor for matching tats!