Notices

Thank goodness for sober work conventions!

Old 10-06-2011, 10:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thank goodness for sober work conventions!

I went to the annual convention of Georgia Activity Directors this week. It's my first big outing since getting sober, and I was nervous of all the dinners and banquets I was going to have to attend, since when I went to a similar event in 2009, it was SOAKED with alcohol. Open bar, everyone getting trashed right in front of the CEO and other higher ups and no one batting an eye. Granted, that was something hosted by the corporation I used to work for, and this week's event was a convention for all different company's AD's to get together.

Well, there was not even a CASH bar at any of the events. Some of my associates went to the hotel bar afterwards together, but that was the minority of people. On Monday night, the big "afterparty" was everyone going outside to make s'mores! LOL, what a wonderful surprise.

It's not that I would be gripping my fingernails into my palms if I had to be around alcohol (I don't want to drink), but after years of the bar scene I am horribly bored by it and can't stand to watch others get drunk now.

Also funny was that Tuesday morning one of my council mates was late to our regional pre-meeting and everyone was laughing that she was probably sleeping it off because she had "TWO glasses of wine last night!" To these people that is major drinking!

What a refreshing surprise to have a social/business event that didn't focus on alcohol. Love it!
Old 10-06-2011, 11:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

This was really refreshing to read. Thanks!
Old 10-08-2011, 05:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Glad it was a productive weekend...