Notices

Would someone please say something!

Old 10-06-2011, 10:43 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by DayTrader View Post
Attempts at philosophical discussions with a group of alcoholics, drug abusers, addicts and heavy drinkers almost never goes anywhere positive. Lots of mental ego flexing, posturing and bull-*hit........
↑↑↑↑↑↑
Not that I'm averse to philosophical discussions — I usually enjoy them — but ain't that the truth!
Old 10-06-2011, 11:21 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by binderdonedat View Post
I don't slam AVRT - even though it didn't work for me at all.
I'm speaking only for myself here, but I'm with DayTrader on this one. I don't care in the least that people can and do slam AVRT. They can slam away to their heart's content; it is of no consequence to me. Like all such unproductive attitudes, doing so will most likely eat at them like a cancer from within more than anything else.
Old 10-06-2011, 11:28 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

AVRT worked for me. RR helped me a lot. I use a bit of AA too. Somehow, it all makes sense for me and I'm happily sober. I like knowing what other folks have used and how it's worked for them.

Does it really matter what worked as long as the addict behavior is halted and we are comfortable? Happy, even? I'm just glad people are not dying in addiction.

Love from Lenina
Old 10-06-2011, 11:44 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Yeah, I'm with Lenina. Use whatever works for you. Although, I typically think of wanting to off myself when I think about going back to an AA meeting, I still believe in the power of some of the principles...like watching out for resentments, trying to find some thread of purpose in life, etc. It's a lot of self-improvement and that's good for most everyone. Though I tend to run from any "group think" kind of strategies now...if I don't approve of it, it's not going to work because I'm not going to work it.
Old 10-06-2011, 02:01 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Administrator

I removed a whole lot of stuff for now that was OT and really should have been PMed.
Carol will look at it later.

Please try and focus on the OP, thanks - please post if you have something helpful to offer
If not, there's many other people here who'd appreciate your help.

D
Old 10-06-2011, 03:53 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

I plead guilty for being OT with the avatar comments. If you really think about it, it should have been PM'd. This is a sober recovery forum where we need to focus on our common problem and help people find a solution, whatever it is. I've noticed there's a lot more drama on here than there was in February when I first found the site.
Old 10-06-2011, 03:57 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  
Poison Eater Extraordinaire

Yeah, but my point is that going off-topic is not in the rules as on "offense". What is the logical point of deleting those posts? Was someone in this thread asking for help to stop drinking and then I chimed in with a "cute avatar" comment? No. Did I break a rule? No. If anything, I was just trying to lighten the mood.
Old 10-06-2011, 04:14 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'll ask for the second time for people to stick to the topic.
I really don't think thats too much to ask.

D
Old 10-06-2011, 04:21 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

and we're back....

so I feel like the point were I moved from being an alcoholic to being a recovering alcoholic was really the point where I admitted to myself that I really couldn't have just one drink, ever. That all the times I succeeded in having "just one" only set me up for the inevitable all-nighter.

I am new to all this, and have only been sober 18 days, but still...right now, for me, I get terrified when I begin to convince myself that "just one drink" would be ok. It isn't about someone else convincing or brainwashing me. It is about knowing myself and my own limits.
Old 10-06-2011, 06:09 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

This thread is closed.

Thanks to all who tried to keep it on track Alas...that did not happen.
More complaints....more PM's and it still continued to fall apart.

Last edited by CarolD; 10-06-2011 at 06:24 PM.