Notices

Would someone please say something!

Old 10-04-2011, 08:20 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I never liked to drink one drink plain and simple. I don't drink at all now.

It's not so much I can't stop at 1 (I can't), but I don't want to. I really don't want to. I want to get wasted. I've never seen the value in drinking 1/2/3 drinks at a sitting. This want comes from the very core of my existence.

Then I pay for it dearly in ways that are tough to explain. Then to reward my pain and suffering from the night of drinking, I drink much more.

I don't drink and I won't ever drink again.

BTW, drinking 1 drink seems like a total waste of a day. One drink and feel like crap. Can't exercise as you've already screwed up your heart rate for the day. Can't go to work. Can't drive a vehicle. etc...

If you have a problem with alcohol, I recommend you don't drink and do whatever you can do to get those demons out of your head that say you can.
Old 10-05-2011, 04:29 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by Aegian View Post
To an alcoholic, 'a drink' is like going to the golf course and playing 'a hole' as opposed to 'a round'.
To an alcoholic, 'a drink' is like going to the toilet bowl and peeing "a ounce" as opposed to
"a bladder full'. :rotfxko
Old 10-05-2011, 06:49 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

They don’t sell beer on Sunday here, I could have 3-5 beers in the fridge and wouldn’t drink any because I didn’t have enough to do the job, sad but true, many Saturdays I’d buy my Sunday beer just to drink them on Saturday night, leaving only a few for Sunday. When Monday came around I’d have extra, come Tuesday morning I was out. There’s no such thing as extra beer, and there’s no way I’d drink just a one, I could of course but it would be pointless.
Old 10-05-2011, 07:22 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

If you're powerless against the waves, why would you swim in the ocean?
Old 10-05-2011, 07:25 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

does anyone else feel like T5hlP5 dropped a bomb and then walked away?
Old 10-05-2011, 07:45 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Not one logical answer out of any of you... not one.

This is why 98% of the people who go to AA do not ever get the help they need because it is overwelmed with dogmatic liars. The BB contradicts itself continuuly and no one is brave enough to admit it... I guess it is because y'all are just so powerless. Oh well.
Old 10-05-2011, 08:13 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

If you don't find AA useful....please find something else that helps you.

There is no need to rant on and on about AA or SR members who are offering support to you.
you may require medical assistance to get to the root of your issues...we are not a medical site.

Takeing the AA literature at face value is something that is not working for you...but causeing distress.
We are also not into book reviews..
Old 10-05-2011, 09:27 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I can stop at one drink as long as the drink is a quart of straight liquer. Less than that it's not worth getting started. After I had that much I would be physically miserable - so what would be the point?
Old 10-05-2011, 11:02 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Please remember this SR Rule before you post...

4. No Flaming: Posting of any content with the intention of disrupting the forum or inflaming members-be it on someone's person, religious beliefs, race, national background, sexual orientation, or recovery program. This includes flaming, flame baiting, registration of multiple accounts or impersonation of another member. Do not Harass, threaten, embarrass or cause distress or discomfort upon another Online Forum participant. This includes flaming on our forums or other public forums.

No posts that attack, insult, "flame", defame, or abuse members or non-members. Respect other members of the community and don’t belittle, make fun of, or insult another member or non-member. Decisions about health and recovery are highly personal, individual choices. "Flaming" and insults, however, will not be tolerated. Agree to disagree. This applies to both the forums and chat.

Ignore bothersome members. If there is someone on the forum that bothers you, select the Ignore option on the drop down menu under their name on the post. You won't see any posts from this member again.
If you find that is too confineing to your point of view...SR is not the site for you.
Old 10-05-2011, 01:46 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=T5hlP5;3125552]Itake one drink and stop. Actually, the Big Book contradicts itself by saying there are cases in which someone stops for a long time (25 years) and then drinks and is dead in 4 years and then there is someone who puts whiskey in his milk and goes on a binge and ends up in a sanitarium.
QUOTE]

To be honest I do not get the whole paragraph up there, but I agree with the above comments,,,,,,,, I can also just have one drink and stop and I also have tried it many times over many months where I would have one or two or three and then nothing for two weeks then some again over a weekend then nothing, but 6months or more down the track it would catch me on a full blown relapse and have me do crazy things that a sober me would not even fathom to do...........but then again I can;t say that maybe after 5 years of sobriety I can;t just have the one drink and never fully relapse again.......only you yourself can know...
Old 10-05-2011, 02:35 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by T5hlP5 View Post
Not one logical answer out of any of you... not one.

... I guess it is because y'all are just so powerless. Oh well.
My answer was quite logical, and I am neither powerless nor brainwashed. If you are posting because you are having personal problems with those things, read the following books. They will usually clear things up quite nicely.
  1. "Thought Reform and the Psychology of Totalism: A Study of Brainwashing in China" by Robert Jay Lifton
  2. "The Guru Papers: Masks of Authoritarian Power" by Joel Kramer and Diana Alstad
  3. "Combatting Cult Mind Control" by Steven Hassan
  4. "Releasing the Bonds: Empowering People to Think for Themselves" by Steven Hassan
Old 10-05-2011, 03:14 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Smile Got it I'm wrong got it ok jokes on me.

A stops for 25 years and then drinks and is dead.
B puts whiskey in his milk and ends up in a sanitarium.
A can stop.
B can not.
That's the contradiction.
But what y'all are saying is that as long as niether takes the first drink then neither would die or be institutionalized, therefore it is not a contradiction. Got it thank you!
Old 10-05-2011, 03:39 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by T5hlP5 View Post
A stops for 25 years and then drinks and is dead.
B puts whiskey in his milk and ends up in a sanitarium.
A can stop.
B can not.
That's the contradiction.
Now I see what you were talking about.

A quit before he lost the power of choice, the first time.
B lost the power of choice long ago.
A went back to drinking and lost the power of choice in less than 4 years.

The point of A's story was to show that 25 years of abstinence did not return him to square one. He started back up exactly where he left off.
Old 10-05-2011, 07:39 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
July 8, 2011

you guys are funny

and as an addict, i can relate!
Old 10-05-2011, 07:45 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by MickeyAnMeisce View Post
Either alcoholics can stop...or they can't. If alcoholics can't stop, A is not and could never be an alcoholic. If alcoholics can stop, a could have been an alcoholic.
Both were alcoholics (camels). It's more along the lines of "the straw that broke the camels back".

A - Quit before the straws he had acquired, broke his back.
B - Already acquired the last straw that broke his back.
A - Started adding more straws and then broke his back.
Old 10-05-2011, 08:37 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

These sorts of scenarios never occur to me. Maybe I don't get it because I'm not an AA person.

But why worry about it? Find what works for you and run with it, and let others do the same.

Usually I am all in favor of analyzing things, looking from all angles, etc. But in this journey I've found that overthinking things just drags me down.
Old 10-05-2011, 08:44 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Vlad View Post
If you're powerless against the waves, why would you swim in the ocean?
Exactly. There are plenty of times when I have stopped at one drink. But now that I see the damage that drinking can do (and has done to me), why would I take the chance that THIS time, this is the one drink that will start me off on a bender? My life is so much happier without it.

GG
Old 10-06-2011, 06:56 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Would someone please say something!

Goodbye.
Old 10-06-2011, 07:47 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

I too can have just one and stop. I often did this to prove that I could do it. I could also drink two or three and stop. But that was harder to do for me than to stop at one. And even stopping at one was harder than stopping at none. I'm lazy. I took the easy way out. None.
Old 10-06-2011, 07:49 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Originally Posted by juststopit View Post
does anyone else feel like T5hlP5 dropped a bomb and then walked away?
Originally Posted by least View Post
Goodbye.

agreed Least... just another attempt to stir the pot by someone who went to AA, didn't work the program and left and it now resentful and bitter.

T5hlP5, you seem to think you know a lot about AA, it's of no consequence to me. I hope you know more about sobriety though, if you're an alkie.

Rather than trying to find fault with something you don't really understand or use (AA), perhaps you'd be better off posting what DOES work for you and try to help someone else. Attempts at philosophical discussions with a group of alcoholics, drug abusers, addicts and heavy drinkers almost never goes anywhere positive. Lots of mental ego flexing, posturing and bull-*hit........and that crap doesn't do anything to benefit anyone's sobriety - not that I've ever seen.