Notices

Alcohol Abuse/Alcoholism

Old 10-02-2011, 02:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alcohol Abuse/Alcoholism

This question has been itching at me for awhile. I've been curious about how the two are different? For me I recently quit drinking (3 weeks ago) and I had been drinking 8-10 beers a night for almost a year and a half. I figured it was time to stop drinking since I was getting bored getting drunk and when I did stop I had no symptoms of withdrawals or any urge to drink. I suppose I could fit into both categories but as of right now I am just happy I stopped drinking so I can go about my life and do other things.

Funny thing about quitting drinking, I said to myself I would cut down on the calories (almost 1000 a night in drinking beer) but since I stopped I've replaced beer with soda and powerade so there has been no slow down on the intake of calories, err.

Also, I'm new here so hi everybody.
Old 10-02-2011, 02:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by Joelyjoel View Post
Alcohol Abuse/Alcoholism

This question has been itching at me for awhile. I've been curious about how the two are different?
You can abuse yourself, but how can you possibly "abuse" alcohol, an inanimate substance which sits on the shelf until it is consumed? The term "alcohol abuse" is nonsensical, and is used only for the purposes of rendering judgment against the drinking habits of others.
Old 10-02-2011, 03:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

I liked and still like the way it was explained to me many years ago.

All alcoholics are problems drinkers but not all problem drinkers are alcoholics yet.

A problem drinker given enough reason, ie loss of family, job, home, etc can stop and upon getting his/her life in order, can become social or occasional drinker. The 'yet' of course is because if a problem drinker continues on the same path, it always gets worse and eventually will in all likelihood become an alcoholic.

Actually the fact that you recognized it was becoming a problem and choose to stop is a great thing you have done for your own well being.

J M H O

Love and hugs,
Old 10-02-2011, 03:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
High on Life

Alcoholism is not a medical term, it is a term used by lay people. The correct diagnosis according to the DSM-IV-TR, would be Alcohol Dependence. You can read more about the difference between alcohol abuse and alcohol dependence here:

http://www.alcoholcostcalculator.org...about/dsm.html

There is less criteria to be diagnosed with alcohol abuse than dependence and abuse is not concerned with tolerance or withdrawal.
Old 10-02-2011, 03:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome JoelyJoel

this is from the CDC (Centre for Disease Control)
CDC - Frequently Asked Questions - Alcohol

What is the difference between alcoholism and alcohol abuse?
Alcohol abuse is a pattern of drinking that results in harm to one’s health, interpersonal relationships, or ability to work. Manifestations of alcohol abuse include the following:

* Failure to fulfill major responsibilities at work, school, or home.
* Drinking in dangerous situations, such as drinking while driving or operating machinery.
* Legal problems related to alcohol, such as being arrested for drinking while driving or for physically hurting someone while drunk.
* Continued drinking despite ongoing relationship problems that are caused or worsened by drinking.
* Long-term alcohol abuse can turn into alcohol dependence.

Dependency on alcohol, also known as alcohol addiction and alcoholism4, is a chronic disease. The signs and symptoms of alcohol dependence include—

* A strong craving for alcohol.
* Continued use despite repeated physical, psychological, or interpersonal problems.
* The inability to limit drinking.
Personally I don't find anything judgmental in the terminology at all - factually, I abused myself for years using alcohol....and clearly one can misuse, or abuse, many things - power, position, relationships, the truth...and inanimate substances

D
Old 10-02-2011, 03:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
~sb

If you stop drinking & life is wonderful, alcohol was the problem.

If you stop & you're dying on the insides, alcoholism is the problem. AA has a solution.

Which is one reason it's (aa) not for everyone. AA is for real aalcoholics. Not all problem drinkers are or will become alcoholics. Alcohol does injure organs over a period of time. No one can tell another if they are an alcoholic or not. It's a personal decision. Read the original AA publications. Not all of them are used commonally today, but they are still relevant to the disease of alcoholism.
Old 10-02-2011, 03:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
~sb

"irritable, restless, and discontent"
Old 10-02-2011, 03:55 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
DSM-IV Criteria for Alcohol Abuse:
  1. A maladaptive pattern of alcohol abuse leading to clinically significant impairment or distress, as manifested by one or more of the following, occurring within a 12-month period:

• Recurrent alcohol use resulting in failure to fulfil major role obligations at work, school, or home (e.g., repeated absences or poor work performance related to substance use; substance-related absences, suspensions or expulsions from school; or neglect of children or household).
    • Recurrent alcohol use in situations in which it is physically hazardous (e.g., driving an automobile or operating a machine).
    • Recurrent alcohol-related legal problems (e.g., arrests for alcohol-related disorderly conduct).
    • Continued alcohol use despite persistent or recurrent social or interpersonal problems caused or exacerbated by the effects of the alcohol (e.g., arguments with spouse about consequences of intoxication or physical fights).

2. These symptoms must never have met the criteria for alcohol dependence.
Ever meet anyone who fits this criteria but who ISN'T dependent on alcohol? Only someone who has never been addicted and who is stuck in a lab pondering the mysteries of the mind without ever looking outside at real people could come up with such a ridiculous suggestion.
Old 10-02-2011, 04:11 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I suppose I could fit into both categories but as of right now I am just happy I stopped drinking so I can go about my life and do other things.
I agree that's the main thing Joel - we can get caught up in a lot of definitions and semantics sometimes - I think the bottom line is always determining for yourself whether you have a problem, and then doing something about it

D
Old 10-02-2011, 09:59 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome....good to know you have stopped drinking alcohol...

I don't know what day or which drink slid me into active alcoholism.
I've long since quit worrying over it....like you I'm a non drinker.

You might want to begin doing a few more healthy things too.
Begin walking....cut out or back on caffeine...eat fresh foods...etc then your weight wil start to drop.
For instance..I gave up Diet Sodas ..made no other changes...and lost 7 lbs. in 6 weeks...

Last edited by CarolD; 10-03-2011 at 05:25 PM.
Old 10-03-2011, 04:22 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Originally Posted by Terminally Unique View Post
You can abuse yourself, but how can you possibly "abuse" alcohol, an inanimate substance which sits on the shelf until it is consumed? The term "alcohol abuse" is nonsensical, and is used only for the purposes of rendering judgment against the drinking habits of others.
I think that you need to look at the first definition of the word abuse listed below to understand what is meant by the term alcohol abuse.

a·buse   [v. uh-byooz; n. uh-byoos]
to use wrongly or improperly; misuse: to abuse one's authority.
to treat in a harmful, injurious, or offensive way: to abuse a horse; to abuse one's eyesight.
to speak insultingly, harshly, and unjustly to or about; revile; malign.
to commit sexual assault upon.
Obsolete . to deceive or mislead.
It is a somewhat loaded term, as I would say that anyone who gets drunk is abusing alcohol, whereas an alcoholic is someone who abuses alcohol in an addictive manner.
Old 10-03-2011, 04:23 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Originally Posted by Joelyjoel View Post
This question has been itching at me for awhile. I've been curious about how the two are different? For me I recently quit drinking (3 weeks ago) and I had been drinking 8-10 beers a night for almost a year and a half. I figured it was time to stop drinking since I was getting bored getting drunk and when I did stop I had no symptoms of withdrawals or any urge to drink. I suppose I could fit into both categories but as of right now I am just happy I stopped drinking so I can go about my life and do other things.

Funny thing about quitting drinking, I said to myself I would cut down on the calories (almost 1000 a night in drinking beer) but since I stopped I've replaced beer with soda and powerade so there has been no slow down on the intake of calories, err.

Also, I'm new here so hi everybody.
Welcome to SR!
Old 10-03-2011, 04:43 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Terminally Unique View Post
Ever meet anyone who fits this criteria but who ISN'T dependent on alcohol? Only someone who has never been addicted and who is stuck in a lab pondering the mysteries of the mind without ever looking outside at real people could come up with such a ridiculous suggestion.
I didn't.
Old 10-03-2011, 10:29 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

2 posts have been removed Why?
please remember to not bash any recovery program or it's followers.

It's also a good idea to acknowledge a first time poster/new member when posting
Remember how you felt when submitting your first share? .

:

Last edited by CarolD; 10-03-2011 at 10:52 PM.