Notices

What should I expect...??

Old 09-15-2011, 04:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What should I expect...??

I've only been legal to drink for 1.5 years. Previously I had gone through spurts of heavy drinking and not drinking at all pretty much due to not being able to get alcohol. Once I turned 21 though it was a different story... I've been drinking just about daily since. Taking a day off here and there when I was so exhausted that my body barely functioned.

I've come to the realization that if I am not at work I am drunk and everything in my life has suffered because of it. My home is a mess, my relationships are suffering, and it just feels unhealthy.

As a little background I currently drink around half a fifth of vodka on nights where I have to work the next day. If its early enough I can usually end up downing 3/4 of a fifth. On my days off I drink the night prior and then usually within a few hours I drink 1/4-1/2 a fifth, take a nap and then 1-2 more times of the same process before finally going to bed for the night for work the next day

I've tried to quit drinking a couple of times but it has lasted no more than two days. I've searched through a lot of websites and found some similar information to what I experience but nothing quite like it....

When I go to bed at night even if I am exhausted regardless of alcohol intake the night before I have insane dreams constantly throughout the night. I also wake up every 1-3 hours feeling like I've slept a full night and its been that short of a time. I haven't ever gone a full 7-9 hours of sleep... even taking melatonin which used to work wonders for me.

It's a strange feeling, I wake up with cold sweats so often and after a dream expecting it to be 9 am and its 3 am and it happens 3 more times that same night.

Also if I don't drink, the day after I choose not to my stomach is bloated feeling, gassy, and painful... I haven't found anything with information on this and it seems really strange....? The only thing that helps it is sipping on water every time the pain gets fairly intense.

I haven't really suffered headaches, shakes, etc. so I feel my addiction isn't as severe as it could be but I guess I never know... I haven't tried seeking medical attention and won't unless all the responses strongly suggest it. Unless it becomes or is suggested that it could be a seriously health issue based upon what I said I truly believe I can conquer the drinking if I put my mind to it. I just am curious to see if anyone has experienced the same things and what to expect if I do quit drinking... or if I should seek medical help as well.

Thanks for the help
Old 09-15-2011, 04:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by brbr56 View Post
... I also wake up every 1-3 hours

... I wake up with cold sweats

I haven't really suffered headaches, shakes, etc. so I feel my addiction isn't as severe as it could be but I guess I never know...
I suggest you learn as much as possible about DT's (delirium tremens):

Delirium tremens - PubMed Health
Old 09-15-2011, 04:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
instant

The alcohol does not seem to be agreeing with you. Listen to your body.
Old 09-15-2011, 04:53 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Boleo View Post
I suggest you learn as much as possible about DT's (delirium tremens)
I've read about this before but almost all of those symptoms I've never experienced. Do you think it is something I should really be concerned about?
Old 09-15-2011, 05:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

If you are drinking nearly a 1/5 of Vodka on some days I would say you have a problem. You are only 21 now & are getting some withdrawals from alcohol already (waking up early). What are you going to be like at 31 if you keep drinking this way?
Old 09-15-2011, 05:20 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

More than 1/5... I'm not trying to make a case for me not drinking too much. I completely understand I have a problem and fully intend to quit. I just want to know what to expect is all. It's actually kind of frustrating to see a response like yours. You clearly didn't read my whole post or catch certain things like the fact that I am not 21 for example. I came here looking for advice regarding my situation. I can understand posts like that on a forum related to something that doesn't involve impacting peoples lives the way alcoholism and alcohol can and does but if you aren't going to offer help, advice, or tips based on your experiences or knowledge telling me I have a problem is a waste of both of our time.
Old 09-15-2011, 08:30 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Yes you will have alcohol when you stop. A doctor once told me that if you are drinking a pint of booze or more for weeks than there is a good chance of withdrawals. Age and health have a big factor in how the withdrawals will go. I have detoxed in the hospital more than a dozen times & my experience is each detox gets worse. I apologize if I upset you in previous post. Detoxing is serious business.
Old 09-15-2011, 04:36 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

brbr56 ......Welcome to our SR Alcoholism Forum...

first we are not a medical site...and are not allowed to give medical advice
I did remove posts from this thread that were a bit too specific with medical advice.

Please do see a doctor....and be honest about your drinking.
You can be both sober and safe that way.

There simply is no way to predict what de tox symptoms you are going to have.
From your post....I strongly sugest you get medical assistance .

Please take time to read this link...note that not all of us had the same symtoms when we quit...

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html

I'm glad you joined us....and Yes...you too can win over alcohol....please keep posting.

Last edited by CarolD; 09-15-2011 at 05:27 PM.
Old 09-16-2011, 09:50 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Please see a doctor. The abdominal pains could be a liver issue. You will feel a lot of relief just by getting some professional opinions about what's happening.

GG
Old 09-17-2011, 11:05 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
~sb

Talk to your doctor.
Old 09-17-2011, 11:28 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

When I went to treatment (out-patient), I was strongly advised to schedule an appointment with a doctor even though I had been sober for about a month. The reason was partly medical but partly psychological: It is thought to be of value to talk honestly to a health-care professional about your drinking and your commitment to sobriety.

I did find it very useful. It was a reality check. The doctor was very encouraging and positive, and the expected feeling of shame lasted only a few seconds. From then on it was: here's what we can do. Constructive.

I'm sure you would be more settled in your mind after a conversation with a good health care professional: Could be a nurse or a doctor. Could be a public health nurse if you want to avoid your usual person.

I hope you will make the commitment to your health and to sobriety and happiness! Best wishes.
Old 09-17-2011, 11:37 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
~sb

Here's a clue; a hangover is alcohol withdrawal. Basically poisoning of the body.
Old 09-18-2011, 01:05 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

The dreams you are experiencing i have experienced also. I'm not giving medical advice but i asked my doctor about this and he said, something along the lines of "...its something called "rebound REM". (Which in layman's terms means you aren't getting enough REM sleep at night because alcohol suppresses REM sleep and you neecd REM sleep to feel rested when you wake up, so you're body is trying to "catch up". ) REM sleep is the cycle of sleep in which dreams occur.

Maybe you should ask your doctor about this?

Take care