Notices

Sobriety charms

Old 09-17-2011, 12:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sobriety charms

Good morning/afternoon/evening depending on where you are.

I was just wondering if anyone uses some sort of visual reminder to help them stay sober? Kinda hard to explain what I mean so I'll just give you my example. The day I went on my last bender I bought a leather wrist strap. I've now started wearing this on my right wrist every single day. Every time I look at it I remind myself of the damage that alcohol has done to my life. I'm not torturing myself, I just believe that I need to remember the bad times that brought me here so that lessons stay learned. By wearing it, I'm vowing to myself that this hand will never be used to let alcohol in to my life again.

So, just wondered if anybody out there had any tokens/items that they used as their "sobriety charms?"

(Four weeks sober tomorrow in my second stint. )
Old 09-17-2011, 01:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
rode hard and put away wet

I've had a whole series of "talismans" but none of them kept me from drinking. Guess that visual reminder wasn't enough for me to stay sober.

I've got a few AA coins rattling around but I give them back when I don't think I need them anymore. That's just me.

I do wear a necklace that helps me stay positive; it has a tiny glass pendant that has a red bird in flight on one side and the word "brave" on the other. It's not necessarily connected with my sobriety although I did get it after I got sober.

Awesome on 4 weeks!~

ETA: I just thought of something else. It's a card featuring a picture of the patron saint of healing. A Catholic friend dedicated a mass to me while I was in rehab; the card is from this mass. Though I am agnostic, I was so touched by the gesture that I have kept and framed the mass card.
Old 09-17-2011, 01:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
~sb

I have all the reminders I need in my memories...no forgetting here!
Old 09-17-2011, 01:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bellakeller View Post
ETA: I just thought of something else. It's a card featuring a picture of the patron saint of healing. A Catholic friend dedicated a mass to me while I was in rehab; the card is from this mass. Though I am agnostic, I was so touched by the gesture that I have kept and framed the mass card.
That is actually really awesome. I'm actually from a Protestant background but would genuinly have cherished such a gift. Thanks for sharing.
Old 09-17-2011, 01:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

AA meetings help keep denial in check, remind me of what a disaster my life was while I drank. Four weeks is a big achievement! Congratulations.
Old 09-17-2011, 01:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I bought a bracelet with 12 stones in it, from a 12-step jewelry store, on line. I'm not in AA, but I like the significance of it and the reminder. Of course now I'm kinda afraid to take it off, tho. Yikes!

Congrats on 4 weeks!
Old 09-17-2011, 03:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
instant

How to deal with our capacity to forget is a central issue. I post on the gratitude thread everyday to remind me I am on borrowed time that is there for the taking. It force me to think and I can use how I feel about doing it as a gauge for where I am.
Old 09-17-2011, 03:26 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Mirage -
I would love to know where you purchased the 12-step bracelet. Tried to PM but this is my first post
Thanks so much
Old 09-17-2011, 03:27 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Originally Posted by bellakeller
bellakeller, this is beautiful. I have similar religious tokens that people have given me and even though I am what others would call agnostic, I love these tokens and the lovingkindness from one heart to another that they respresent.

I don't really have trinkets. I do have ink though. A couple of my tattoos are directly related to my journey. and of course I will be adding more
Old 09-17-2011, 03:50 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Smile

My two biggest visual reminders of the benefits of sobriety are my two shiny happy healthy dogs. They are shiny happy and healthy due to my living sober now and being responsible. They are the best reminders for me cause they are with me most of the time and I'm always petting them or giving tummy rubs. Seeing them so happy and spoiled rotten always makes me grateful for my sobriety.
Old 09-17-2011, 06:14 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I've made it my custom to carry my current aA medallion in my billfold for years....

this makes me feel good and often....when someone notices it and comments....
I have a chance to explain a bit about AA....

Last edited by CarolD; 09-18-2011 at 03:58 PM.
Old 09-18-2011, 07:31 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

No, I don't need any visual reminders, tokens, talismans, coins, medallions, jewelry, or other physical objects to reinforce the decision I made long ago to abstain from alcohol.

It's just my life.