Notices

Went to my first AA meeting this evening

Old 09-12-2011, 06:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Went to my first AA meeting this evening

This evening I attended my very first AA meeting.

I located a meeting close to my home using the internet as a resource. I drove around for awhile debating whether I was actually going to go and trying to get the nerve to just do it. Ultimately images in my mind of my wife and my son and the life I want to have with them overcame any hesitation that was left.

As I parked my car and walked toward the location I saw several people out front of the building talking and smoking. I followed one of the people inside down the stairs into a larger room. The tables were all pulled together and I quickly found a seat. I was about 5 -10 minutes early. As I sat waiting for the meeting to start several very freindly people came up to me and shook my hand introducing themselves. They asked a few questions about me but nothing invasive or that would not want to share with anyone.

The meeting started with a prayer followed by some random discussion about AA. The meeting had about 20 people so after the prayer we went around and introduced ourselves. I was nervous but when it came to my turn everyone had such kind eyes and their seemed to be no judgement.

After the intro we did a few readings about the 12 steps etc. We then listened to a tape about the early makings of AA and how it began.

We then went around the room and had a chance to reflect on what we had heard and anything else we wanted to share with the group. I spoke briefly about being new etc and thanking others who had shared and politely passed.

At the very end of the meeting we joined hands and did the lords prayer.
This was a very powerful moment for me as I felt such a common bond to others around me. I didnt feel alone just me vs alcohol anymore.

The meeting was ajourned. A few people again came up and spoke to me. I was given a phone number list of people to call if I wanted to. I was explained a little bit more about the Big book and the steps ETC.

I just wanted to share my expierience thus far.... I am still not sure if AA is the answer for me, but at this point I will try anything.

God Bless and have a sober day!
Joe
Old 09-12-2011, 06:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It sounds as though you had a great experience. Can I ask where the meeting was, USA or UK or elsewhere? It is a complete contradiction of my first ever meeting, and my second.
My first one was at the end of a 10 day detox, I was a mess and spent the entire time crying, when I spoke all I could muster up was how I had lost everything and didn't know how to care anymore.
My second meeting was some years apart (I honestly can't remember if they were before or after each other so this could have been the first, but for arguments sakes.....) I met a girl on the first meeting, we went for a coffee afterwards as we felt a bit different being the babies of the group. The coffee turned into a beer, the beer turned into a series of dates and both of us drinking heavily, running away to Spain together and living in drink for almost a year, where one day she vanished. I bumped into her a year later when I was having a better time, she was begging on the streets of Granada.
There was never any prayers at the meeting I went to, infact my detox was a joke, everyone trying to smuggle drugs into the clinic and only lasting a day then being kicked out. I lasted it as I wanted it, but I wish I could experience the positive meeting you had, could have made my ongoing nightmare not so bad a long long time ago.
AA has only ever made my drinking stronger and the people I meet, quite low life (not generalizing, just the experience of one man), but then I reckon I am quite a low life these days in some peoples eyes.
And good luck to you, for yourself and your family sakes. XX
Old 09-12-2011, 08:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
~sb

I've been to many meetings in 25 years. Never to one that had AA history involved. Interesting meeting. Glad you went

Keep coming back! My meetings have experience, strength, and hope shared, regularly.

Best wishes!
Old 09-13-2011, 01:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Right Where I am Suppose to be

Thank u for sharing ure experience of AA. I'm AA too & i hear so many ppl giving out about meetings or new comers nervous about going , i think this honest post will help many
Old 09-13-2011, 02:16 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Bear64 ....
i'M REALLY GLAD YOU SHARED YOUR POSITIVE EXPEREINCE WITH US. Thanks!

Those phone numbers? people really do want you to call
before you drink is best... If one is not answering
when you want to ask about anything...try the next one until you do reach a member.

I'm guessing you found a meeting that is studying the AA Steps and Traditions...usually listed as a 12&12.

I do hope you plan to get connected to AA,,,it's sure been an awesome adventure for me....:

Blessings to you and your family
Old 09-13-2011, 04:36 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by Bear64 View Post
The meeting was ajourned. A few people again came up and spoke to me. I was given a phone number list of people to call if I wanted to. I was explained a little bit more about the Big book and the steps ETC.

I just wanted to share my expierience thus far.... I am still not sure if AA is the answer for me, but at this point I will try anything.
Sounds like you hooked up with a great meeting. I have been to hundreds of meetings and would place the one you described in the top 20%
Old 09-13-2011, 03:09 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

sounds great to me.....unfortunately, i would probably call the nice people when i have a buzz on......i hate me when i am sober and i don't recall how much i hate myself when i'm drunk, (probably do, yet i'm under the influence at the time)