Notices

Sugar drives me crazy

Old 09-11-2011, 08:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sugar drives me crazy

Well over two years ago, I gave up drinking. I was drinking too much, getting into too much trouble, and it just seemed like a good idea. I could easily put down a 12+ pack a night and sometimes more.

Looking back at it, some of the things I did to quit probably weren't the smartest. I should have seen a doctor about things. But in my own stubbornness, I just gave it up. I'm done with it.

I picked up a pack of cigarettes and smoked for about 8 months afterwards. I had previously given up cigarettes for 5, maybe 6 years prior. I gave up cigarettes in December. Holy hell, talk about sugar cravings.

So now I've been consuming way too much processed sugar. I'm not sure if I have been trading one thing for the next, but I need to give up the sugar soon.

Has anyone else seen this? I'm trying to piece this altogether, and the part that doesn't make any sense is I can't find a connection to nicotine with sugar. I can with alcohol, but the length of time I had quit alcohol to the time I started craving sugar was probably 18 months.

Any connections here that I'm missing?
Old 09-11-2011, 08:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

Yes, it's another problem. Alcohol is another sugar. Have you had your thyroid checked? Ask your doctor.

My opinion; alcholism is a brain/mind/body problem with hormonal/enzyme/ sugar as well, I got that far. Not a scientist.

Nicotine & sugar impact our dopamine & seratonin as well as the part of our brain tbey link to addictions.
Old 09-11-2011, 08:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

There's a thread dedicated to 100 days free of obvious sugar, I post on it. Sugar and alcoholism can go hand in hand or mouth in mouth. I'm 112 days free from sugar (including in alcohol) except for fresh fruits. Never felt better.
Old 09-11-2011, 08:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Well hell, I guess its time to give it a go then. I've always been fond of the sugar, especially in the days before I drank. I didn't take in much sugar after I started drinking - probably because the alcohol did it for me. The 18 month lapse is the weird part though.

I've recently had my thyroid checked and a bunch of blood work done. The test results came back in normal range on everything.

I think I'll start planning on shaking the sugar out of my diet and implement it after I get over this cold.
Old 09-11-2011, 08:54 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
~sb

Thanks, Fitz! I'm getting out of control. Like when I began drinking, no, Before then!! (Sugar consumption, day 118 now)
Old 09-11-2011, 08:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MycoolFitz View Post
There's a thread dedicated to 100 days free of obvious sugar, I post on it. Sugar and alcoholism can go hand in hand or mouth in mouth. I'm 112 days free from sugar (including in alcohol) except for fresh fruits. Never felt better.
Thanks. I'm not sure what the actual requirements are behind the thread, but I think its time to give it a shot.
Old 09-11-2011, 09:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm not sure either but I post there anyway. Whatever it takes. My best to you in your sugarfreeness.
Old 09-11-2011, 09:19 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Sherman...welcome back....
I see you did join in the "Sugar" thread....hope it is useful for you.

after 15 years of no drinking...I was diagnosed as a Type 2 diabetic. Many of my none drinking family members are also.
You could discuss this possibilty with your doctor ...a fasting blood sugar test is then done.

Well done on your sober time ..

Last edited by CarolD; 09-11-2011 at 09:39 PM.
Old 09-11-2011, 09:34 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks. It was a long time coming when I decided to quit.

Actually, I forgot a fact in my post. I gave up coffee the same day I quit smoking in December. I always drank my coffee without sugar or cream. Just black.

Well whatever it was, the title of this post says it all.
Old 09-11-2011, 10:13 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

hi sherman,

'Grats on your two years - wow.

I too get the link between alcohol and sugar. Since I quit three weeks ago I've not had too many sugar cravings actually (maybe I will in 18 months ;-)). I've been eating fruit, which helps I think, and permitting myself a spot of ice-cream here and there if needed. My doctor did warn me about not replacing one addiction with another (re sugar), but it hasn't come to that so far.

Sugar and nicotine? No idea - all I know is that in any of my feeble attempts to quit smoking, I've just been plain hungry - and would have eaten anything and everything, sugar or not LOL.

Diabetes does indeed come to mind, but it sounds like you're having all the bloodwork done? If not, have it checked for diabetes just to rule it out (hopefully), you know?

Good luck,
BB
Old 09-12-2011, 10:38 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

In early sobriety my sponsor called it "trading up addictions". Alcohol is sugar and when we substitute sweets the brain thinks it's getting a drink. I had five years of living on cupcakes and candy, but they were much easier to quit than alcohol. My suggestion is don't worry, just continue not drinking and deal with one addiction at a time.
Old 09-12-2011, 11:48 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

It is not at all uncommon for an alcoholic to crave sugar in early recovery. It takes awhile to get over that and it is different for everyone.
My own experience stands out in my mind, from time to time. During my first years of sobriety sugar cravings were just a part of life for me. Opening a box of ice cream bars usually meant consuming the entire box.
As time passed, I found these cravings gradually diminished. Looking back, from time to time, I could see that my consumption was gradually returning to normalcy.
At the present time, 8 years, I consider my sugar consumption to be well within healthy bounds. I still keep those bite size chocolate bars in a bowl next to my recliner, but just a couple of them will do it for me. I buy ice cream bars occasionally, and I never eat more than 1 bar at a time anymore. After a meal I still have that craving for something sweet, but 1 or 2 bite size bars, or similar, will do the trick.
In short, I wouldn't let it worry me too much, time has a way of taking care of that sort of thing, in sobriety.
If you feel it is out of hand, simply pay attention and try a few small changes.
One thing I did over the years, quit eating any thing sweet after a certain time of day, when I began to notice how it affected my sleeping.
Of course, we each react differently, so this is just my experience, Good Luck.
Old 09-12-2011, 08:59 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I don't know why, but I attempted to give up obvious sugar this morning. I thought I would probably wait until next week, but I woke up ready to do this.

Unfortunately, I only made it until noon. After lunch I grabbed a mint as I was paying the bill. 10 minutes later, I realized I'd just screwed up.

Thats ok. I'll give it a shot again. 5pm I'm hanging around by the front desk and grab a tootsie roll from the candy jar and eat it. Shortly afterwards I realized I'd just failed again.

I've conscientiously cut the soda out. That wasn't too bad. And vending machine candy.

So tomorrow I'll see if I can knock out the little ones I missed today. I think I may just have to refine this process for a few days before I get it right.....
Old 09-13-2011, 02:16 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

my sugar intake has gone thru the rof.
i always ate candy of some sort but now....
four rolls of sweettarts a day.
i guess its better than four shots of vodka.
Old 09-14-2011, 05:00 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

My chocolate addiction is a lot like drinking. Once I start, I can't stop.
I rarely ate chocolate when I was drinking.
I'm over 2 and 1/2 years sober,and it still happens. If I bring home anything,I don't stop until it's all gone. Box of cupcakes ,box of ice cream. Entire chocolate cake. The way to solve it is to not buy it. But that stuff jumps into my shopping cart. Maybe I need to look for the sugar thread. It will at least make me think twice before buying this "stuff".
Fred