Notices

Into The Fire

Old 09-09-2011, 10:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Into The Fire

Lost my job today. I have a few days to get out as my place came with the job.

I'm a bit bummed but not really that bothered. Perhaps it's all for the best. I had planned to stop drinking just after labor day and so i guess this is it.

Put up or shut up. No doctors, clinics, pills, whatever.

Just Will.

I'm heartened some by a week i spent in jail a few years ago. I was arrested drunk and was still smashed when i was processed and put in a bullpen to wait. As i remember it, i had one hell of a headache and felt bad all over, but it was more or less over by the time i was assigned a spot a few days later. Sure my drinking is easily way above the level of a few years past but i'm sure i can make it.

I'm looking to lock myself into a motel room for a few days and come what may. Either i stop this out of control drinking or just accept the fact that this is how it's always going to be.

And when i do stop, no therapist is going to be around. It's up to me and me only to deal with the aftermath. Either i make it or i don't

After all is said and done, i have a physical workout program planned that would be tough for someone half my age. Possible heart attack or stroke risk but once again, either you make it or you don't. Life rewards those who take a chance.

In all honesty i'm expecting to be on the streets for a worst case scenario of 8 months. Might as well use that time as best as i can to get straightened out.
Old 09-09-2011, 11:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry for your situation and I wish you well.

I hope you'll take some friendly advice tho, and reconsider a few things.

This isn't a Bruce Willis in Die Hard deal, man.

It's not about strength of will IMO.

You're fighting yourself essentially - and the harder you push the harder 'the other you' is likely to push back.

It's really tough - for everyone.

It's not a few days in a hotel room and you're golden....that may deal with the detox - if you're lucky enough not to have complications like I did - but what then?

And whats the deal with the exercise programme that 'would be tough for someone half your age'? I think you're seriously, and dangerously, underestimating the dangers of detox.

Just because you've done it 100s of times before and been ok is no guarantee - trust me.

I really advise you get some support and help. I really recommend a Dr for detox, but if not a Dr, or a Salvation Army rehab deal, at least think about maybe a recovery group of some kind.

I'm not an American but I know here there are lots of agencies that help the homeless - I can't imagine there's not something like that in the United States.

It's hard enough with everything else without resigning yourself already to living on the streets, dude.

Don't make a hard road nearly impossible, BTB.

I kinda wonder whether you're subconsciously setting yourself up for failure here - 'either i stop this out of control drinking or just accept the fact that this is how it's always going to be'

There's absolutely no reason it has to be that way.

My advice is cut yourself some slack.
D
Old 09-09-2011, 11:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

BTB,

Ooooh sorry to hear about your job and your accommodation.

Congrats on your decision to quit drinking! Nice one. I detect, however, a note of despondency in your post (which is not surprising in the circs). Not in relation to quitting, but in relation to everything else perhaps.

Do please be careful with your detox - if you're determined enough to do it, you might as well be alive on the other side of it :-)

Anyhow, you sound like you know where you're at, so good luck to you. I hope you don't end up on the streets - if you kick the sauce to the kerb, you might find yourself aspiring to more...

Take care of yourself,
BB
Old 09-10-2011, 11:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Dee,

in this situation the only thing to do is fight. Sure there are a number of programs out there for those with nothing but without exception they treat you like a prisoner and exploit you for government money. On the streets we knew all about them through numbers of people who been in them.

The PAWS might be a problem and so i'll avoid doing a serious job hunt until after january. By then i should be pretty much dried up and ready to go.

The physical workout is neccesary due to the realization that i've gotten far too lazy and let my body go. It's time to strip the blubber and build myself up again and one can't do that unless one is willing to work as hard as the body is capable of being pushed.

Last but not least comes the world as a whole. For some years now, i've been discontented with how things are in my life. To be honest, suicide is a logical choice. But instead, i'm saving what i can and am raising some more money to venture into a new line of work that in a best case scenario is very high risk, very high reward. If i fail i will be penniless. I'd rather go broke trying to make something of myself than live a life of futility and stagnation in nowhere useless jobs. I want something better.

Putting the bottle down is merely the first step to a new me and new life.
Old 09-10-2011, 12:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

B2B...there's no reason for the tough guy attitude I detect from ya. I'm not saying it won't work for ya, it very well might. But the thing is, there is no reason to do this ALONE! Alcohol withdrawal can be DANGEROUS. It can cause seizures. Oh, and alcohol withdrawal can cause brain damage (via a process known as excitotoxicity).

Your brain is so used to having alcohol (a central nervous system depressant) that your body has basically started to make a lot of glutamate, which is like the meth of your brain. Glutamate is very excitatory. As well, you don't produce much GABA, which naturally "slows" everything down, for times of sleep and rest.

Thus, suddenly quitting alcohol, your brain will become SUPERCHARGED. You could even get deliriums tremens (DT's), which can cause seizures, heart attacks, strokes, and other fun stuff.

I honestly don't think it is safe at all for someone to just quit drinking. You should contact your doctor and tell him your situation.
Old 09-10-2011, 12:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Of course, it's up to you, but it's not just do or die. Strokes don't always kill. You could just end up with one useless side of your body. There are all sorts of things that could happen where you wouldn't die, but you wouldn't be able get around on your own. Again, it's your life to do with as you wish, but it really sounds like you're BSing yourself. Hope you'll put a little more thought into this, but whatever you decide, I wish you the best.
Old 09-10-2011, 12:29 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Originally Posted by BurnToBuild
Either i make it or i don't
um...well isn't that up to you? Stopping isn't something that is going to happen to you...it is something that you are indeed in control of...so why the either or choice with you?

I'm making an assumption here so please correct me if I'm wrong but is your screen name a reference to starting over out of the ashes...like nature does with huge forest fires that over time become lush and green again...or maybe like a pheonix? Just curious...

I personally think it is foolish to expect your body to do something at your will after you have so badly abused it. I mean you can't win a game, build a house, accomplish any task really, with faulty equipment and broken tools. Let the Drs. help you safely medically detox and take it from there. It's not a weakness to get medical help...it's a weakness to cut off your nose to spite your face.

To be honest, suicide is a logical choice.
I have felt this way before...and actually did it. I wasn't prepared for my plan to fail...but it did, obviously or I wouldn't be posting. Um...looking back I thought it very tough of me to be so cavalier about life and death...my bad-ass-girl facade lol... today I recognize that I have never been weaker than at that time. Perceptions change as circumstances change. Accept impermanence...
Old 09-10-2011, 01:31 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BurnToBuild View Post
Last but not least comes the world as a whole. For some years now, i've been discontented with how things are in my life. To be honest, suicide is a logical choice. But instead, i'm saving what i can and am raising some more money to venture into a new line of work that in a best case scenario is very high risk, very high reward. If i fail i will be penniless. I'd rather go broke trying to make something of myself than live a life of futility and stagnation in nowhere useless jobs. I want something better.

Putting the bottle down is merely the first step to a new me and new life.
I beg to differ. Suicide is not a logical choice for most people when looking at the possibility of future happiness. For some people, such as terminally ill cancer patients, suicide is the logical choice to avoid pain. However, for someone like you, suicide is illogical. If you work smartly for it, your future can be very happy and successful even were you to remain unemployed for a year.

I just don't see why you think suicide is a logical choice. The only perspective in your case where suicide is logical (from a warped addict perspective) is energy expenditure. It would save a lot of energy and time to just off yourself instead of dealing with the future. That is why most addicts kill themselves, they're too tired, too lazy, and too scared to deal with the future. That's why I attempted suicide almost exactly a month ago. I was too scared to deal with the future. I wanted an easy way out. And since my addiction itself was suicidal in nature (whenever using I was never afraid of OD'ing because I WANTED to die), so suicide was a natural consequence.

B2B, you have an alcohol problem!!! You shouldn't be making such life altering judgments before you have some good recovery time under your belt.
Old 09-10-2011, 02:42 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
~sb

At the end of my drinking I was also delusional with my thinking.

Please seek medical help. Many states have free rehabs which will get full as winter approaches. Your current plan isn't logical. Suicide is the ultimate selfish act. Alkies have been selfish enough in their drinking/using days...."oh, poor me, pour me another drink"

ER's can't turn you down for detox or threat of suicide. Get real help!!!!!!

And stick around here. You aren't alone!!!!
Old 09-10-2011, 03:06 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
rode hard and put away wet

I worry about this black and white thinking. My own failure to acknowledge that life doesn't always neatly fit into my own definitions of absolutes kept me drunk for a very long time. Black and white thinking may make great sound bites but it really leads us to be short changed in the long run. The fact that our thinking can work against us and almost kill us or at least contemplate suicide is very serious and dramatic. That's why for some of us, sheer will is not enough; no matter how steely the will and/or how determined we may be. Some of us just need help.

Please don't be a hero. Please don't try to detox on your own. Nobody is giving out medals for self-detox. Please find a doctor or a place to medically help you through this.

Much love and sorry about the job. May this be your turning point.
Old 09-10-2011, 03:17 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I'm thinking this would be a good time to contact the Salvation Army
to de tox and then connect to their other longer recovery programs.

With no job and no place to live coming up quickly....why not?
Old 09-10-2011, 03:43 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
instant

All or nothing can you useful in some situations. Crash or crash through, your fierce independence, and forthright manner shines through. I hope you make it and find peace.
Old 09-10-2011, 03:47 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Keep the faith..
Old 09-10-2011, 03:57 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

We're obviously coming from vastly different wavelengths BTB.
It sounds like you're not really looking for advice, and are set on your path.

I genuinely wish you the best

D
Old 09-11-2011, 05:57 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

It is good to put the bottle down and I agree it is the start to a new life. We all have different ways getting sober and I hope you will find yours. Please keep posting and let us know how you are doing.
Old 09-12-2011, 04:43 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BurnToBuild View Post
The physical workout is neccesary due to the realization that i've gotten far too lazy and let my body go. It's time to strip the blubber and build myself up again and one can't do that unless one is willing to work as hard as the body is capable of being pushed.
I would start working on the "Inside" before I worry about the "Outside". Thats where we need the most fixin. Just sayin...
Old 09-12-2011, 10:42 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Oh, I'm so sorry this happened.

I couldn't get sober alone and crawled on my hands and knees into AA. But for me it was either stay sober or die. As someone pointed out, my best thinking got me there, lol. So please don't rule out outside help if it's too tough alone. God bless.