Notices

a daughter helping her mother to sobriety

Old 09-07-2011, 01:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
a sobriety mothers, daughter!

Question a daughter helping her mother to sobriety

Hi everyone,
My mother has recently began living her life as a sober woman (on 9/1/11) she has spent the last 6 days in the hospital to get a good start to living without alcohol! She came home last night and as of her first 24 hours of being home, she hasn't got the urge to drink but she is having episodes of anxiety and depression! One minute she will be fine and the next she will be in tears! Is there any thing anyone can suggest to me that will help her with it! I dont want to say the wrong thing to make her more upset and I continuously tell her that having anxiety is part of her recent recovery! I know she can do this, its just hard! Me reminding her that she has over come addiction to illigal substence and smoking cigarettes seems to incourage her and I dont have any intention on giving up on her at all! Are there any thing you can tell me about the side effects and what I can do to support her? Im new to this and dont know very much about it!

Thank you very much everyone!
Old 09-07-2011, 01:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome Brandala. Best of luck to you and your mum.

There is a whole sub forum dedicated to friends and relatives of those going through this struggle. I'm sure you will find lots of people in similar circumstances who will be able to offer their support and advise. I hope you both find peace.
Old 09-07-2011, 01:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Brandala-

Welcome to Sober Recovery and the Friends and Family side would love to have you there.

In my experience though the following things helped me when I realized my loved ones were stuggling with addiction
-individual counseling
-getting involved with Al-anon (for friends and family of those struggling with addiction
-finding SR and posting
-finding out about co-dependancy, many of us have found a lot of relief from reading the book "Co-Dependant No More" by Melody Beattie.

It was only working on myself that I was able to learn how to best support my loved ones. You will find your way also.
Old 09-07-2011, 02:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

When she gets really agitated, crying... if your relationship permits it... give her a big hug. Seriously!! You don't have to say or do anything.

Is she going to any meetings or aftercare?
Old 09-08-2011, 05:36 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome...

Hereis the Forum link others have suggested for yourself..

Friends and Family of Alcoholics - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

I'm glad your Mother is heading into a sober future and I suggest
she check out the local AA groups...and ou do the same with Al anon.

I use AA for my recovery from alcoholism and I did use Al anon when dealing with others alcoholism.
Both worked great for me.
Old 09-08-2011, 06:13 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
~sb

Mom's just getting sober. Does she have a program of recovery? She won't be alone!
Old 09-08-2011, 06:23 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi. The best help you can be is to just be there for her. My daughter helped me so much just by being supportive and understanding. It has to be tough for you though so take care of yourself.
Old 09-08-2011, 02:25 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome! Just sending you a big thank you for being an awesome daughter to your Mom and don't forget to take care of yourself to. You are important as well!!!!

Xoxo, Tina