Notices

sobering wake-up call?

Old 09-06-2011, 09:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

sobering wake-up call?

My bestfriend was killed last week. I thought she was on the road to recovery and was avoiding me because I still drink.
I didn't take offense, I was happy for her and I left her alone and gave her, her space.
Come to find out at the crime scene, I learned in the past months of non talking, she met a new guy who was in "recovery" too but the both of them were now drinking heavily and there was physical abuse involved. He beat her to death 2 days before her birthday.
I had no clue any of this was going on. I feel so guilty for not being there. I don't know why she pushed herself away from me? I really thought I was doing good by giving her, her space. Now she is gone and I no longer have a friend. She was my only friend. Been friends since Junior High 19 years. We use to be inseperable.
I want to get sober now, for me, for her and for my kids. I don't want to end up where she did.
I need to quit today!!! I am just so scared to.
Old 09-06-2011, 09:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Well (((((Scared))))) it can be and is scary.

However, I have to tell you that a bit over 30 years ago, I found my recovery in the San Fernando Valley. At that time AA was the only game in town. However, I have been back many times since.

Still see folks that were sober when I got there and folks who got sober when I did and after I did. It is a REALLY AWESOME NETWORK in the Valley. You can call the AA central office on Van Nuys Blvd and ask them for some meetings near you, and if you are fearful you can ask for someone to take you to your first meeting. Yes, they still do that in the Valley.

I would suggest though that when you STOP that you see your Dr prior to stopping, or if you want to attempt it on your own, have a 'friend' stay with you that can get you to Olive View Hospital in a hurry. They are still the 'best' in the Valley when it comes to their ER and Detoxing.

PM me if you want more info and I can probably get you some folks to talk to in your area.

You can do this!!!!!

And I guarantee your life will be so much better without all those toxins in your body and affecting your mind.

Love and hugs,
Old 09-06-2011, 09:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you Laurie,
I have tried quitting many times now. Seems like every month I say this is the time then it isn't.
Just losing her in this way and I know the assault must have been alcohol or drug related. He must of been black out drunk or high to do this to her.
It opened my eyes. I don't want end up in her situation. I drink too much and I black out, I could accidently kill someone. then what would happen to my poor kids???
Now has to be the time.
Old 09-06-2011, 09:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
~sb

Condolences to you. As a survivor of domestic abuse, be aware that the abuser is very manipulative and will ensure that the victim seperates from family and friends. It wasn't your fault in any way.

Choose sobriety for you, it will help you immensely.

Prayers, peace, and love sent to you. (((Hugs)))
Old 09-06-2011, 09:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Scared, I am SO, SO sorry for your loss. It's a huge wake up call for you, and I am so glad you are taking it and using it as something for yourself. I can't think of a better way of honoring your best friend than sobriety.

Treat yourself gently.

Best wishes

New Wings
Old 09-06-2011, 10:04 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you for your replies.
I threw out the rest of my vodka this morning and last beer that I had in the house.
Old 09-06-2011, 10:28 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry for your loss. It was not your fault. SR helped me so much when I was too scared to quit. Please keep posting. It makes a huge difference.
Old 09-06-2011, 11:57 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm so very sorry for the loss of your friend, and for the horrible way she died.

I think it's wonderful that you will honor her memory by living a sober life.
Old 09-06-2011, 03:29 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
orangutan

I am so sorry for your loss. I want to wish you well in getting sober, stick around here lots of suport and friendship.
Old 09-06-2011, 05:21 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm so sorry scared1 - it's painful enough to lose a friend without it being under those circumstances.

I think honouring her memory by living sober is a wonderful idea for you and her both

D
Old 09-06-2011, 10:06 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

This is horrific, scared1 - my deepest sympthy to you.

Good for you on your decision to get sober.

Good luck and keep posting!
BB
Old 09-07-2011, 10:03 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Prayers for you ...how tragic....
Old 09-08-2011, 06:22 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

im sorry to hear about your friend

you asked in your OP why she shut you out.. that's very common for someone in an abusive relationship to do. their abuser likes them to be isolated, and that's an easy thing for alcoholics/addicts to do, in recovery or active addiction. i don't know your friend or you or anything but what you posted, just my 2 cents.