Notices

Being stupid

Old 09-07-2011, 11:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Being stupid

Oh, my. Sometimes I just really screw up. I'm wide awake with anxiety. I won't be surprised if I get fired from my job...

...but I'm sober. Amazing! I haven't felt this stressed out except for three other times in my entire life!

I don't know what else to do except for ride it out. I'll have to post updates. I hope I don't cry if they fire me. If I do, oh well. First for everything, I guess. I hope I have a good laugh at this some day. I'm laughing a little bit right now. It's really not funny....

Here's some hope and inspiration for ya: I'm incompetent, extremely anxious and frazzled, but I'm sober. I have a lump in my throat, but I'm sober. I can't sleep, but I'm sober. I'm so scared I feel like I'm watching a really good horror movie, but I'm sober.

There's nowhere to run or hide. It's coming and it won't be pretty. Thing is, drinking won't fix it--the problem will still be there.

Anyone else dealing with a tense situation, you aren't alone. You can do this sober, too, even if you cry (I know I will...I'll be a blubbering mess).

Need to vent? Post away!
Old 09-08-2011, 12:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Gosh Bamboozle, I don't what's going down with your job but I sure hope they don't fire you, but even if they do - well, you'll get through it.

(I read a statistic yesterday which claims that 90% of what we worry about doesn't happen. Hmmm...).

Congrats on being sober despite all the stress and anxiety,
BB
Old 09-08-2011, 03:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Sorry to know of your difficlties Bam...

Prayer calms me in all situations....try "Help me find peace" or The Swerenity Prayer

Last edited by CarolD; 09-08-2011 at 04:36 AM.
Old 09-08-2011, 06:06 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
~sb

You can get through this! Prayers sent your way! !
Old 09-08-2011, 07:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Bam,

I'm sorry for your troubles- I hope you don't get fired. I had a horrible night at work and was wishing I would get fired! This morning I am still a mess, but sober. 20 months ago a night like I just had would have sent me to the store for a bottle of rum, but I don't have to do that anymore.

I'm gonna settle in with a good book until sleep finds me.
Old 09-08-2011, 02:59 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

What kind of work do you do? Unless it's brain surgery or something equally delicate and crucial, it seems like any employer would be forgiving of a short period of substandard work from a usually standard or above standard employee. Especially if you are honest with your boss and let them know what's going on.

August was really horrible for me, my anxiety got out of control, and on the 11th my boss called me in her office and had a come to Jesus talk with me about a big mistake I made. I broke down and cried and told her the stress I was going through - getting sober, going through marriage counseling, getting PT for a pulled muscle and dealing with that pain, AND my anxiety getting out of control. She was surprisingly understanding and was very approving of my plan for getting everything back under control (that I was getting PT for the pain, seeing a marriage counselor, and made an appointment with a psychiatrist) and she said she just wished I had let her known I was dealing with all that stuff sooner, so she could have cut me some slack or gotten me some temporary help while I fixed things.

So hey, if you think being fired is a possibly, it can't hurt to lay it all on the line and tell your boss, "I'm getting sober and fixing my life and I'm sorry that it's affected my performance, but I'm doing everything I can to turn things around." It's worth a shot.
Old 09-08-2011, 03:57 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Bam - I wish I'd learned decades ago that 'drinking won't fix it - the problem'll still be there'. Plus we'll have the additional problem of having broken our promise to ourselves not to drink.

I'm sorry for whatever's going on with your job. (I remember you didn't like it much?) Maybe you're being led in a new and better direction.

Thanks for this helpful post.
Old 09-08-2011, 04:07 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Bam

D
Old 09-08-2011, 06:00 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by yogaisland View Post
What kind of work do you do? Unless it's brain surgery or something equally delicate and crucial, it seems like any employer would be forgiving of a short period of substandard work from a usually standard or above standard employee. Especially if you are honest with your boss and let them know what's going on.

August was really horrible for me, my anxiety got out of control, and on the 11th my boss called me in her office and had a come to Jesus talk with me about a big mistake I made. I broke down and cried and told her the stress I was going through - getting sober, going through marriage counseling, getting PT for a pulled muscle and dealing with that pain, AND my anxiety getting out of control. She was surprisingly understanding and was very approving of my plan for getting everything back under control (that I was getting PT for the pain, seeing a marriage counselor, and made an appointment with a psychiatrist) and she said she just wished I had let her known I was dealing with all that stuff sooner, so she could have cut me some slack or gotten me some temporary help while I fixed things.

So hey, if you think being fired is a possibly, it can't hurt to lay it all on the line and tell your boss, "I'm getting sober and fixing my life and I'm sorry that it's affected my performance, but I'm doing everything I can to turn things around." It's worth a shot.
you know, i thought that was working for me in my last job - my boss knew i was having severe anxiety and panic attacks and i was going through med changes, so there were a lot of days i came in late, and then missed time due to drs appts. ended up being a slap in the face though, because one short month after my contract talk, where i was offered a contract for the following school year, where i was told how great i am and how they were seeing me moving up in to teach my own class (i was the asst teacher).. blah blah.. i was called into her office to be told that i had the choice to take a mandatory leave of absence for an undetermined period of time, or resign.

they changed their tune on me veeeery quickly. i felt like it was a huge slap in the face from the people i worked with - part of it came from the teacher i worked with, who had sat down with my boss to have a talk about me. she had gone on and on about how taking care of myself came first, she understood, blah blah - then she stabbed me in the back by telling my boss she didn't think i was fit to be in the classroom and making up lies about me.

to the op, i hope you still have your job! but if not... it might be a blessing in disguise! mine was i found a new job within a week, i like it so much better, i have amazing, inexpensive benefits i didnt have before, i'm getting paid the same amount for a job that is less responsibility, plus i moved back in with my parents because the new job is closer to them. i wasnt thrilled at my last job as it was. so you never know!
Old 09-08-2011, 08:17 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm not sure how long you have been sober but since I quit alcohol almost 5 months ago the anxiety and panic attacks are down to an all time low. I just increased my anti-depressant due to depression and anxiety and that helps me out when I'm feeling down, low or sad. Talk to your doctor about the stress your under maybe he has some solutions for you I know they have helped me in the hard times.