Notices

First AA meeting tomorroe

Old 08-27-2011, 03:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Location: “It doesn’t matter where you are, you are nowhere compared to where you can go.”
First AA meeting tomorroe

I spent the entire day reading parts of the AA book....rememebering posts of folks telling me "I am not seroius" about quitting...............setting my alarm to go to the 7 am meeting tomorrow. Already tracked the way to get there. My husband is supporting me, but pissed. If this doean;t work, well.........i am done
Old 08-27-2011, 03:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

If this doesn't work - you'll try again. And if that doesn't work, you'll try something else.

You can't get sober if you're "done". It took me umpteen tries.. and you learn something from every single try, whether you realize it or not, and eventually it will "take".

GREAT for you for trying AA tomorrow. Not sure why your husband is upset? You are trying - for that he should be proud of you ... because if you didn't care (about yourself or anyone/thing else), you wouldn't try.

Nice job ... Looking forward to you logging in and posting tomorrow on how things went.

Old 08-27-2011, 03:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
~sb

AA is not a magical cure. It's a design for living life to its fullest. It takes time and hard work.
Keep coming back!
Old 08-27-2011, 05:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good luck with your meeting! You're taking a big step forward.

I hope your husband does come around to support you.

Best to you.
Old 08-27-2011, 05:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Best of luck with your meeting tomorrow.
Old 08-27-2011, 06:03 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Location: “It doesn’t matter where you are, you are nowhere compared to where you can go.”
Thank you! I never would have believed it....but I am EXCITED about going.
My hubby is mad because I was drinking when I told him my plan, He probably doesn't believe that I will follow through, and go. I told him"I'm going to an AA meeting tomorrow morning, do you mind?" and he said, HELL NO I DONT MIND"
umm...guess that says enuff
Old 08-27-2011, 06:49 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
AA is not a magical cure. It's a design for living life to its fullest. It takes time and hard work.
Keep coming back!
I hope you gave that reply the attention it deserves! Nothing magical is going to happen tomorrow, I'm afraid that's what you're expecting and that you'll be disappointed (or give up) when it doesn't. But stick with the AA program, find a sponsor, and work the steps, and change will come slowly. Good luck!

GG
Old 08-27-2011, 07:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by sanddollar View Post
If this doean;t work, well.........i am done
Done? Why is that? AA is not the last house on the block.
Old 08-27-2011, 08:10 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

In early sobreity I too found an early morning AA meeting that suited my work schedule ....it really made my day begin on a positive note...

Glad you will be going...and are being pro active with a fresh start...
Old 08-27-2011, 09:31 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

AA saved my life. I now have tons of friends that understand me and I understand them. Had an AA picnic today and there where about 50 of us there. How awesome to have a network of people that are doing the things I'm doing, living a spiritual life.

It works if I work it
Old 08-28-2011, 01:19 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I spent the entire day reading parts of the AA book....rememebering posts of folks telling me "I am not seroius" about quitting...............setting my alarm to go to the 7 am meeting tomorrow. Already tracked the way to get there. My husband is supporting me, but pissed. If this doean;t work, well.........i am done
Well done you for going to the AA meeting! I hope it goes well for you.

I read the book too - although I am not in AA. It helped me a lot.

I am absolutely in no way qualified to speak about AA meetings, but based on what I've read here, one meeting won't 'do' anything in and of itself - but I hope it will encourage you to continue your journey into sobriety, and it's a damn good action to take.

As TwelveSteps says, you can't just 'go' - there's more to it than that.

But going is a great start.

I'll stop because I know nothing about AA that isn't based on extensive reading (ie. no direct experience of it). But kudos to you for going.

And also - you are not 'done' if it doesn't work (what AVRT said), and don't decide that based on one meeting either.

Good luck!
BB
Old 08-28-2011, 07:58 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I chickened out. I guess next time I will wait to post AFTER I have gone. Set my alarm for 5:30 am so I could shower and be there by 7:00....extreme excitement changed to extreme panic when the time came closer......
It didn't help that I happened upon an anti-AA blog. I know AA has helped many people, so I need to at least get over my fear long enough to give them a shot. So dissappointed in myself. There are other meetings that I could go to today, but the more I think about them, the more nervous I get.

Sorry for wasting everyones time. I'll wait to post when I feel I am moving forward and can live up to my posts. Good luck all..
Old 08-28-2011, 08:19 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Look, you're not wasting time by posting. That's one thing.

And secondly, AA is not the only option. But certainly give it a try.

Thirdly, maybe it would help to not think about it too much but just sort of go on automatic? I dread things too - I have to force myself sometimes - but once I'm there I'm happy I went. Maybe don't over-think it?

Fourthly, you can leave if it's not for you.

Fifthly, forget the blogs and what anyone else says about AA - you need to try it for yourself.

Sixthly, what's the worst that can happen? (See point four).

Seventhly, don't feel bad for chickening out. You're not the first and you won't be the last. Sometimes we have to work up to these things. You took a step by finding a meeting and trying to go.

Eighthly, 5.30 is an ungodly hour. It shows some degree of commitment to try it out to get up at that time.

Ninethly, I'll shut up because I've never been to AA, but I don't need to have been to write the above.

Tenthly, don't stop posting. You're not 'in trouble' with anyone here for not going.

Don't be disappointed honestly (although I know what you mean) - just breathe, re-group and try again if/when you are ready.

BB
Old 08-28-2011, 08:21 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

You are not the only one who did not follow thru and you are not wasteing
our time. We all want only the best for you and it does not have to be in AA.

I do use AA and I sure was not thrilled to get started either...

Please try again...maybe ask a friend to go with you. That is what I did ..
Old 08-28-2011, 08:25 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
The Internet being what it is, with support groups for people who hate support groups (!), I'm pretty sure you could find an anti-anything blog if you run a Google search on "I hate [insert method of recovery]."

As I said in the earlier post though, you are not "done" until you've achieved your goal. If one approach does not work, there are always others. Never, ever give up.
Old 08-28-2011, 08:31 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Exactly
Old 08-28-2011, 08:46 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Well, I didn't google "anti-AA" --just found another alcohol support group that had a long thread of Anti-AA people. I know that everyone is different, and not all experiences are the same, so I know I need to get over my fear and at least see for myself.
I'm thinking that if I can get the courage to make an appt to see an addiction counselor/therapist, that might be my next try. Once I have an appt, I will feel an obligation to go, whereas with AA, I can back out, since noone is expecting my arrival. And from what I have read, they (therapists)usually send you to AA as well, and when I have someone to account to, I will be more likely to go, and not chicken out.
Tried two different psychiatrists...waste of time. I have heard therapists actually give you feedback and useful strategies to work on.

Thanks everybody for not slamming me. I can't emphasize the appreciation enough. I want to beat this. Hell, don't we all? kudo's to those who have....I have immense respect for you, and joy!

On a side note--no alcohol on Sunday sales here...so I'm good at least this evening. Going to cook up a nice dinner for hubby, which he only gets on one of my rare sober evenings......but will be filling my void of alcohol with tons of coffee and that isn't good, either, since I won't sleep much tonight.
Old 08-28-2011, 08:54 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AVRT View Post
The Internet being what it is, with support groups for people who hate support groups (!), I'm pretty sure you could find an anti-anything blog if you run a Google search on "I hate [insert method of recovery]."

As I said in the earlier post though, you are not "done" until you've achieved your goal. If one approach does not work, there are always others. Never, ever give up.
Are there therapists who specialize in AVRT? How do I get started? What makes it different?

"Never give up" that is a quote worth remembering. Giving up sometimes seems to be the only option, and sometimes the simplist things are the most informative.
Old 08-28-2011, 09:29 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I'm thinking that if I can get the courage to make an appt to see an addiction counselor/therapist, that might be my next try. Once I have an appt, I will feel an obligation to go, whereas with AA, I can back out, since noone is expecting my arrival. And from what I have read, they (therapists)usually send you to AA as well, and when I have someone to account to, I will be more likely to go, and not chicken out.
Tried two different psychiatrists...waste of time. I have heard therapists actually give you feedback and useful strategies to work on.
An addiction counsellor is also a very good idea. Incidentally, neither my counsellor nor my addiction psychiatrist has mentioned AA.

Good luck and enjoy your dinner :-)

BB
Old 08-28-2011, 10:19 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
~sb

See a doctor before quitting drinking.

Try reading all of the aa book. Reading parts is just confusing. AA isn't necessarily logical, but it works when you're willing to work your program with someone who works their program with another person!

Let us know how it went!