Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

You never know when it's going to sneak up on you...

Notices

Old 08-26-2011, 09:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Right now I'm laughing about it but around 6PM I was driving to the gym, it was sunny and warm out and for about 2 minutes all I could think about was how good a martini would taste.

Really now. Martinis taste like lighter fluid mixed with olive brine. How I ever convinced myself they taste good is a laugher. And at this point, just one would knock me on my butt for the rest of the night. But for those 2 minutes it sounded sooo good.

Good thing I made it to the gym and set my mind in a completely different direction.

Just wanted to share that.
Old 08-26-2011, 10:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Post Re:You never know when it's going to sneak up on you...

That's great to hear...all you had to do is push the "reset" button and come back to reality. You did...now enjoy the rest of your day.

~God bless~
Old 08-26-2011, 10:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Gone In

Originally Posted by Reset View Post
...Martinis taste like lighter fluid mixed with olive brine...
Ha ha yeah they do. I used to drink that crap by the gallon, and I'd always pretend I liked them, like some sort of coniseur, but I never really did. It was just a strong drink which meant more alcohol faster. I laugh now too sometimes when I get euphoric recall about drinking, most drinks taste awful. I used to drink huge quantities of red wine, and when I smell it now I get naseous.
Old 08-27-2011, 05:17 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
~sb

Never had a martini. Guess I'll miss that toxic taste.
Old 08-27-2011, 09:56 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
When I stopped worrying about the presence or absence of a desire for drinking, and concluded that there is nothing wrong with desire, my mind was at peace, and I was never caught off guard again.
Old 08-27-2011, 10:35 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
rode hard and put away wet

LOL! So true about martinis, to my taste anyway. I also think scotch tastes like Band-Aids. Still didn't stop me from drinking it whenever it was around.
Old 08-27-2011, 10:44 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Good for you! I used to always long for a beer on sunny weekend afternoons. But then I realized that what I really missed was sitting outside, having a beer and relaxing with a group of friends in the sun -- and I can still do that, I just have 7-up instead -- the beer was actually the least important ingredient all along!

GG
Old 08-29-2011, 10:18 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I just arrived back from vacation, and can totally relate...I thought wow would it be nice to have a cooollllddd beer right now....then fast forward to the next day when I'm eating in a restaurant and over hearing others talk about how hungover they are..how crappy they feel....and I just sat there smiling..thinking how AWESOME and ALIVE I feel...now that's what I'm talkin' about!!! )
Old 08-29-2011, 11:05 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

My recent binge was due to ending up in a sunny country with a free bar. My (now ex due to this very lapse) girlfriend was lying around semi naked on a sun lounger looking amazing yet I couldn't settle for watching the guys standing around the bar enjoying their beers. Was complete torture and I ended up on a week long binge. There's something about the sun and the whole atmosphere that makes me weak.
Old 08-29-2011, 11:20 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Agreed. I too convinced myself that I liked straight martini's but looking back I did only because I knew it was hard for bartenders to water them down. When I used to make them for myself I always ended up in a bad place cause I used to pound them like a beer.
Old 08-29-2011, 12:19 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Very true that early on it feels like it sneaks up on you, but as you grow in sobriety you will see that its always thought out beforehand. I know now that alcohol has no power over me until I put it in my body. Just sayin...
Old 08-29-2011, 12:37 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Perhaps next time you should remember the things that you did/said while drunk. Walk through the drink to the place you know you'll wind up.