Notices

First experience of a Higher Power - anecdote

Old 08-24-2011, 04:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First experience of a Higher Power - anecdote

This is just an anecdote about the Higher Power that has been in my mind today and I thought I'd share it with everyone.

Last summer, I was on the fast track to full-blown alcoholism. We were all young, didn't have a care in the world and fully embraced the hardcore drinking culture of university.

I was with one of my mates and we'd got lost from the others on a bar crawl; we decided to have a few more drinks and then head for his dad and stepmother's house on the bus. I'd been ranting and raging for the second half of the night about one of the members of our circle who I'd grown to hate. Hatred and sadness were a big part of my life back then. We got back and went to sleep.

Woke up in the morning with, as usual, a wretched hangover. Thought briefly of looking for more booze to take the edge off, but my friend told me that his father was a recovered alcoholic who hadn't drunk for ten years. I remember thinking that was the worst thing in the world. How could people live without drinking? He must be miserable, I thought.

When I met him though, I was blown away. You could literally feel the serenity pouring out of him as he went about his day, chatting to us and asking how our night had been. I admired him, through my mental fog and wretched hangover, thought how relaxed and at peace he seemed. It was strange. It felt as though he'd been touched by an angel.

Nowadays...I guess that's what you'd call the Higher Power. I remember that was the first time I considered giving up drinking "one day", although it'd take another year to reach that point. But now, I'm striving for that feeling too.

One day at a time.
Old 08-24-2011, 05:07 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I do beleive people can touch our hearts thru living sober... ..

Glad you have joined us on the recovery journey....
Old 08-24-2011, 05:35 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

"How could people live without drinking? He must be miserable, I thought."

.... I remember thinking that exact thought ... and wishing that drinking was the norm for everyone ... and that it was not bad for you ... and how wonderful it would be if everyone would drink all the time, every day, just like I did. How happy we would all be.

Ugh. Now I can't believe I actually thought those things. Absolutely ridiculous thoughts, but when alcohol is driving your mind, that's what you come up with I guess ... Eeeesh.

Awesome post - thank you for sharing!
Old 08-24-2011, 05:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you Carol and Switchboard.

Switchboard: I know exactly what you mean. I think it was less wanting that happiness for other people than to experience a kind of security: if everyone does it, then I won't be alone. I won't have a problem.

Now I know I've forfeited my alcohol privileges for all time, because I've abused them. But I'll been given a different privilege in return, in time; the privilege of peace and life. Just got to prove I can get them now.

Thank you both for your replies.