Notices

4 months!

Old 08-18-2011, 08:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

4 months!

I'm 4 months on the 23rd of August. Everything couldn't be going better to be honest. As I have mentioned before I've dropped now 10kg and at 6 foot 1 99kg isn't to bad. I think I am going to lose more but that is alot of weight. My blood pressure was always sky high and the doctor's were pushing to put me on meds for it but when I explained to them I was an alcoholic it made sense to them. I think at one point I was something like 190/110 which is close to death now I'm 130/90 just shows how bad the grog was stuffing me up. I'm having less acid reflux which has been a problem but that seems to be getting better. It looks to me my anxiety issues were mainly alcohol related which came as a shock but a relief as I had big issues relating to that.

So health wise physically and mentally I have left alot of problems behind me with the alcohol along with it. With the lessening of anxiety I have been able to do alot more things and have more freedom as I'm back driving again which I thought would never happen. People here on the forums have been so helpful, patient and have given me some much needed guidance and direction.

I've learnt alot of useful information about recovery here including a book called Dharma Punx which was a very good read as I don't read books that often. Because of my social anxiety this place has really been a life-saver and it has been available to me 24/7 which is great. My relationships and friendships with family and friends has grown stronger. I'm more confident and have alot more self-esteem.

I'm not sure but I have found that alot of people I have read about on the forums have had a real difficult time getting and remaining sober. For me I just think it was my time as the hell I was living in was going to kill me and the only direction was up from where I was and grabbed hold of it tightly. I know things will only get better from here and looking forward to embracing life instead of hiding from it. I'm learning to open up more and be a more understandable person instead of being close-minded and value other people's beliefs and views more freely.
Old 08-18-2011, 10:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

It's good to hear things are better without alcohol!
Old 08-18-2011, 11:06 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Congrats on your achievement
Old 08-18-2011, 11:16 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congrats, Checkmate! We've been on the same time line (will be four months on the 20th), I'm so happy you are still sober, and that you are reaping the benefits of your hard work.

Thanks for checking in and updating us
Old 08-18-2011, 11:20 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

(((Checkmate))) - way to go on 4 months. It sounds like you're doing a great job at taking care of yourself. Recovery has ups and downs, but I know from my experience, I'm much stronger through the rough patches, and they never last long. Living life without numbing ourselves is pretty awesome.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 08-18-2011, 11:51 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Awesome job!!
Old 08-18-2011, 11:59 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

...congrats...awesome job on your recovery.
Old 08-18-2011, 12:34 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Keep up the good work Check....
Old 08-19-2011, 05:46 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Well Done