Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

how much do you/did you drink, any health problems?

Notices

Old 08-11-2011, 10:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi all,

I'm just curious how much you use to or you do drink daily on average, how long you have been drinking and what health issues you have experienced.
Old 08-11-2011, 10:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

In the last year of my drinking I was consuming two 30-packs of beer and anywhere from a pint to a fifth of 100 proof liquor each evening/night I drank. I worked 48 and 72 hours shifts and drank every time I was home. I now realize looking back that I spent my work shifts in withdrawals. By the end of my drinking I was having pancreatitis bouts fairly constant and my liver was enlarged. In the past 10 years those things have resolved themselves. The worst thing I still experience is the damage I did to my lungs by smoking 3 to 4 packs a day during the last couple years of my drinking. Just a side note; I quit smoking and drinking at the same time.
Old 08-11-2011, 11:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sept 30, 2010

Originally Posted by fancy19 View Post
I'm just curious how much you use to drink daily
I used to drink plenty (3 or 4-1.75 bottles of vodka and-or scotch per week)..... but it was never enough......
Old 08-11-2011, 11:18 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Englishrose70

At the end of my drinking career I was drinking 2 bottles of white wine per night (750ml each 12% ABV) and probably more at weekends as I would start drinking earlier.

I never drank spirits or beer but the wine was bad enough!

I had a liver enzyme test, green is perfect, amber is caution, dark amber is high caution and red? Well you can guess red.

I was dark amber. I didnt want to get to red.
Old 08-11-2011, 11:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Professional Alcoholic

I was drinking 14 to 16 beers everyday and on the weekend who knows how many. I did develop alcoholic neuropathy which will never get better. uncomfortable condition with my feet. I wish I could take them off. Walker
Old 08-11-2011, 12:03 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
~sb

No health issues, yet.

I have friends who drank who have a wide variety of health issues today. Something to look forward to, maybe. I don't think I could drink, smoke, or accessorize with illegal substances without having any problem down the road. 5' 120 lbs, 50 years old, been sober almost 90 days, used since I was 16.....you do the math!
Old 08-11-2011, 12:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Eyes Open, No Fear

I drank 8-14 beer between 5 and 7 nights a week. I have high blood pressure, which i have had for years and was recently warned about developing diabetes. I do go for regular checkups and my liver, etc so far have been good, but I haven't told my doc how much I drink. I have been not drinking for about six weeks, with a five day relapse in between and just went for new blood tests etc. I go to the doc Monday for results and blood pressure check. I am so hoping they show an improvement.

For a long time I convinced myself that diabetes and high blood pressure just run in the family and don't have anything to do with alcohol but....I guess we will see.
Old 08-11-2011, 12:23 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Anywhere from one to two 18 packs of beer per week AND 2 to 3 1.75 liters of vodka.
Old 08-11-2011, 12:27 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Oops forgot the other part to the question.

No known health issues, doc always gives me an A+ after check up.

Believe it or not, if it's even possible, I've been quite a health nut, diet and exercise-wise for the last two decades, so maybe that helped. And, genetics, of course.
Old 08-11-2011, 12:28 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
~sb

My friend gave up drink and smokes over 15 years ago and was just diagnosed with Diabetes. Along with others. Our organs don't heal overnight. Sometimes the damage isn't detected until years later.

What we do to ourselves in our youth WILL show up later in life. That is what it is...a wait and see what I did to my self, issue.
Old 08-11-2011, 02:31 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

The last of my drinking years I was a bar room blackout drinker...so I have no idea. But....

Some mornings I would have stir sticks in my purse ..was I trying to keep track? How did I get home? who did I argue or flirt with?
did I charge or pay the bar tab? How much was it? Did anyone buy me a drink? Did I buy for others? Is my shoe in a taxi?
..... And the worse one....the most risky of all....

"Um....what is your name again sweetie"?

Grateful those days are long gone by...

Health issues? nothing apparent but drinking had turned me into a woman I detested....depressed and mentally dark.

Grateful I've changed via God and AA....I love the new improved me..

Last edited by CarolD; 08-11-2011 at 02:47 PM.
Old 08-11-2011, 02:39 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fancy19 View Post
Hi all,

I'm just curious how much you use to or you do drink daily on average, how long you have been drinking and what health issues you have experienced.
My last blood work done 3+ months ago shows me to be fine. If I cut out off the drinking completely, I think I'll be in MUCH BETTER SHAPE.

My weekend binge included:
3 - 40oz Bottles of Malt Liquor
Misc. Shots of Hard Liquor
Glass of Red Wine
1-2 Bottles of Beer

or

Finishing a 12 pack + Spiking Beer w/ Rum/Hard Liquor

I could drink a lot, especially milk the booze from morning until the next day. This is STUPID though as I found myself shaking and confused the next. Sometimes, I'd black out.
Old 08-11-2011, 03:59 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Alcoholic for x13 years

Good day=6-8 cans of beer @ 5.5% alcohol
Moderate day=10-12 cans
Bad day=13-20 cans

Result:
high cholesterol
inflamed gall bladder to the point of removal being considered
pancreatitis

enlarged liver
x2 liver biopsy's
diagnosis of cirrhosis of the liver (reduces life expectancy by average 25yrs)
waiting for third liver biopsy to determine if I might by put on transplant list

If I require a transplant and don't get it or if there are complications with the liver transplant=death
Old 08-11-2011, 04:00 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Alcoholic for x13 years

Good day=6-8 cans of beer @ 5.5% alcohol
Moderate day=10-12 cans
Bad day=13-20 cans

Result:
high cholesterol
inflamed gall bladder to the point of removal being considered
pancreatitis

enlarged liver
x2 liver biopsys
diagnosis of cirrhosis of the liver (reduces life expectancy by average 25yrs)
waiting for third liver biopsy to determine if I might by put on transplant list

If I require a transplant and don't get it or if there are complications with the liver transplant=death
Old 08-11-2011, 04:04 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I drank 3-4 glasses of wine during the week and 1-2 bottles on days off for two years. Not as much as some people but still way too much for me. I gained 20lbs, had frequent heartburn (the kind where you burp and can taste your last meal which was like 3 hrs ago), headaches (some migraines)... I didn't feel good at all. Once I quit drinking, the headaches and heartburn went away. Still working on the 20lbs! 10 to go!
Old 08-11-2011, 04:26 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Drank one to three bottles of wine all through the day. Main health issue I'm aware of is that I made my depression and anxiety much worse. Now that I'm sober the anti-Ds and anti-anxiety meds actually help.
Old 08-11-2011, 05:43 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

The last year I was in my addiction I was drinking between a .750 or a full liter of vodka per day. Liver enzymes test came back fine. Mentally, I sure fried some brain cells. I know my IQ probably dropped a few points at least. My ability to concentrate is all out of whack. Also, near the end I was hyperventilating and having panic attacks regularly. There are lingering mental health issues, but physically I think I'm no worse for wear (thank God).
Old 08-11-2011, 07:13 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

My "drinking career" was 3.5 years and ended at a pint of a night on weeknights and 1.75L on a Fri or Sat to 1 gallon (yes, I said a gallon) meant to cover me through Sunday and keep the god-awful withdrawals at bay but somehow even though I portioned it out and hid it from myself when I was straight I always found it in my blackouts. I HATED SUNDAYS because the liquor stores here were closed and they couldn't sell beer (or wine) til after noon.

In the past seven years I have received a laundry list of about 16 things wrong with me, many are neurological after a stroke in 6/08 but some things proceeded that. I've had a return of diabetes, high blood pressure, asthma and migraines. Also, fibromyalgia, peripheral neuropathy and others showed up in 2007 and 2008. I don't know for sure whether or not my alcoholism played a role in this or not but I know it certainly didn't help my body or brain one bit!
Old 08-11-2011, 07:56 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

anything up to 20 beer cans of 5% alcohol. Sometimes cider, sometimes some tequila shots. Between 5-7 days a week.
heartburn
high blood pressure
high LFT
anxiety/ panic attacks
excessive sweating
huge weight gain
Old 08-11-2011, 08:25 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I only drink about once per week or once every two weeks...

But when I do go out with friends and drink, it's usually 5-8 beers on a good night...once in a while I will lose control and simply drink until I black out. Pretty much anytime shots are involved.
This probably doesn't seem like a lot but the uncertainty of not knowing When or if Im going into blackout territory has become really frightening to me. Ive woken up with vomit all over me and on the floor and thought of how close I probably came to choking to death in my sleep. Creepy thought.

No other health problems related to booze that I know of.