Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

how much do you/did you drink, any health problems?

Notices

how much do you/did you drink, any health problems?

Old 08-22-2011, 02:49 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=MarkNS;3079327]I drink an average of 7 or 8 drinks per day.... But I stress that this is an 'average.' E.g. Some days I'll have three drinks, other days I'll have 14. To be honest though, the days that I have three are few and far between.

Luckily I have avoided serious health complications but I do have moderate stomach issues and do deal with moderate alcohol withdrawal symptoms every now and then.[/QUOTE

I can relate. It's amazing how much we can drink when we drink. It's a good thing to pursue sobriety when we are drinking that much for sure. AA is working for me. Maybe it can work for you too?
Old 08-22-2011, 02:51 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BurnToBuild View Post
I drink 7 days a week. Been at it for 22 years.

Weekdays after work is a minimum of a 12 pack a beer. Usually it's 16-20 beers. On occasions i'll also drink rum or tequila. On the weekends the sky is the limit. Will drink virtually nonstop from soon after awakening until whenever i decide to crash. Beer, rum, tequila, whisky.

Health problems? Swollen spleen, internal aches, bloating, short term memory loss, skin has recently developed a mild yellow color but my eyes seem fine. Years ago i was in a hospital and a doctor did a liver tap. He tapped, paused, tapped again and asked me how much i drank. When i told him he shook his head and went on with the checkup. I was merely warming up in those days so i assume my liver has problems also.
Having a good network people in recovery that can help has been good for me.
Old 08-22-2011, 05:10 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Drank daily for 17+ years. Progressed to 6 units of vodka + one glass of red wine per day. Every single day.

Had a diagnosis of too much iron in my blood & stored in liver which I've now been told is due to alcohol.

Other 'minor' symptoms: hair loss, dry red skin, hives (related? idk), bruxism (related? idk), dry heaves etc. Memory shot.

Impacts, rather then symptoms: wake every night at 3/4am with huge anxiety, dread, shaking, sweating. Depression. Missed opportunities. Isolation. Bad diet. More inarticulate.

Absolutely nothing good except an ever-more-fleeting and short-lived, zone-out buzz which I persisted in chasing.
Old 08-22-2011, 07:06 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  
★May 13,2011★

I drank for 2 1/2 years.
Started out on weekends and then added days in over time then was a daily drinker for a year and a half.
I would either drink 3/4 of a liter of vodka,a bottle of wine (13% alc) or 3-4 cans of malt liquor (4 Loko)...basically whatever I could get my hands on that day.
I have tinnitus and epilepsy...I had photosensitive epilepsy before drinking but now I have seizures without a trigger,so I think I made my condition worse

My dad has been a drinker for 33 years.
When I told him about my struggles with alcohol he told me he started drinking at 17 & not to worry about my health because we have good genes! (Gee thanks dad!)

At the moment he drinks about 3-4 days out of the week (that I know for sure of) and it's a liter of rum a night.

He appears healthy (don't know about the insides!) but he looks about 9 months pregnant and all his teeth have rotted out.
Old 08-22-2011, 10:54 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  
Matt M

I know I tried to drink spirits straight almost all the time, because if I mixed them with orange or coke or whatever, I could pretty much drink it like water.
Old 08-22-2011, 03:25 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

My drinking / health

I mostly binge drank on the weekends or my days off, anywhere from 6-12 beers plus whatever hard liquor was available. So far, no major problems, thank you God. I have gained weight and have had high blood pressure readings, however that will hopefully go down after more time sober, on day 13 here. I also hope I will lose about 15 - 20 pounds that I gained from taking in so many carbs from the beer. Best wishes.
Old 08-22-2011, 03:50 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  
Gone In

Originally Posted by Heatman View Post
The last thing I consumed was Lavoris Mouthwash. The only thing in the house with Alcohol...
Thanks for posting that heatman, I had all but forgotten that I used to drink mouthwash when there was no more booze and I couldn't sneak out to buy more. A real low for me. It's good for me to remember that.
Old 08-22-2011, 04:54 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=Veritas1;3079452]
Originally Posted by MarkNS View Post
I drink an average of 7 or 8 drinks per day.... But I stress that this is an 'average.' E.g. Some days I'll have three drinks, other days I'll have 14. To be honest though, the days that I have three are few and far between.

Luckily I have avoided serious health complications but I do have moderate stomach issues and do deal with moderate alcohol withdrawal symptoms every now and then.[/QUOTE

I can relate. It's amazing how much we can drink when we drink. It's a good thing to pursue sobriety when we are drinking that much for sure. AA is working for me. Maybe it can work for you too?
Definitely considering it a lot more strongly than I have before, especially since one of my best friends (and naturally, drinking partners) has been going to meetings for almost two weeks now.
Old 08-28-2011, 05:02 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CarolD View Post
The last of my drinking years I was a bar room blackout drinker...so I have no idea. But....

Some mornings I would have stir sticks in my purse ..was I trying to keep track? How did I get home? who did I argue or flirt with?
did I charge or pay the bar tab? How much was it? Did anyone buy me a drink? Did I buy for others? Is my shoe in a taxi?
..... And the worse one....the most risky of all....

"Um....what is your name again sweetie"?

Grateful those days are long gone by...

Health issues? nothing apparent but drinking had turned me into a woman I detested....depressed and mentally dark.

Grateful I've changed via God and AA....I love the new improved me..

Thanks for sharing but what you describe are serious mental health issues related to alcohols toxic effect on the brain.