Notices

from 3 months to 6 months

Old 08-10-2011, 10:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

from 3 months to 6 months

Was wondering how people went from 3 months to 6 months sober? How did things change? What did you start to notice? and how did it differentiate from the first 3 months? Thanks. I am currently sober 3.5 months.
Old 08-10-2011, 10:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You just keep on keeping on. for me, that means going to meetings. I went every day until about seven months sober, then at least five a week. Heck, I went to morning meetings and evening meetings.

And working the steps is important. I have a second sponsor because my first is out of the country, and we started on step one. I wrote for hours about how I'm powerless over alcohol and drugs and that my life is unmanageable.

Sobriety is an amazing challenge. It's hard. The hardest thing I've ever done.

The easy way out would be to buy booze and trash all of the sober time I have.

I just don't have that luxury (see...I still think of it as a luxury as I enter my 11th month of sobriety).

I think I better get to that meeting I was thinking of missing.
Old 08-10-2011, 11:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Check....

Have you noticed this thread in our Daily Support Forum?

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-part-3-a.html

That might be a good place to get answers too..

I kept doing all the positive actions I started when I began my AA recovery.
I still do 90% of them each day....
Old 08-10-2011, 11:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

thanks Carol will check out that thread.
Old 08-11-2011, 06:44 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Gone In

Originally Posted by checkmate1 View Post
Was wondering how people went from 3 months to 6 months sober? How did things change? What did you start to notice? and how did it differentiate from the first 3 months? Thanks. I am currently sober 3.5 months.
When I was in ERG we were taught what to expect as we progressed through sobriety from 0-30 days, 30-60 days, 60-90 days etc up to 180 days. If I remember right at 3 months you hit 'the wall'. At that point you'll have a lot of up and down days, and the reason for that is your brain chemistry is trying to find equilibrium in the abcense of all the seretonin alcohol used to release into your brain. Your brain doesn't know the right level of neurotransmitters to produce yet, so they can swing up and down from day to day, resulting in up days, and down days. This is really good news, your brain is healing itself and getting stable. On the down days just remember this is part of the process, it should go away in another month or two
Old 08-13-2011, 03:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

well I am at 6 month, so I would love to hear how everybody is doing after 6 month. For me between 3 and 6 month I found some peace. I think I finally accepted that I cannot drink again ever (even I still get cravings. e.g. right today). I am less angry, I think I accept things more and I believe now that my Higher power will take care of me. I know when something bad happens this too will pass, and whenever I am ins tress I ask myself how will dinking help and always the answer is it will not help the situation so no reason to drink. Hardest for me is still asking people for help, I have a very hard time with that. I guess I am doing okay is the right way to describe it, I know my triggers and I am trying my best not to fall into them. I also slowly hang out with people drinking alcohol again and actually get amused if they get drunk and I stay sober...
Old 08-13-2011, 03:56 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

At six months plus I felt solid in my recovery. Six months was the longest I'd gone sober so when I passed that I felt like I had it nailed. I'm still sober now at twenty months and getting stronger every day.
Old 08-13-2011, 06:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Check - I am 1 yr. next week but between 3-6 mos. for me was a settling into sobriety and beginning trust in staying that way. Those early months were more uneven with ups and downs and conscious counting each day. Closer to 6 mos. it was becoming more usual than unusual to not be drinking. I also stopped thinking so much about how much $$ I was saving each week I didn't drink!!! Finding new activities to keep busy was becoming fun and not something I had to push myself to do. I stepped up my diet and was beginning to notice. I also felt much more comfortable going out to dinner and not caring that others were having wine. I felt comfortable telling people I had stopped drinking for health/diet reasons and to my surprise people seemed impressed!!
Old 08-14-2011, 11:16 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

You get from three to six months by not picking up a drink one day at a time. And, sobriety is progressive -- slowly I began to feel better, my emotions leveled out. For me early sobriety I cried every day but after a while I noticed I "felt fine". This was astonishing! I hadn't felt fine in memory. But eventually it became my default mode.

Having three and a half month is a HUGE accomplishment! To change from being an active alcoholic to someone sober is about the biggest change anyone can make. Congratulations! Keep doing what you're doing now.
Old 08-19-2011, 01:01 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

My 1st 2 months were up and down. I just started my 3rd month this week. It's has been crazy. At times I feel numb, anxious, out of it, spacey. I'm hoping this will all pass with time. It's crazy someday's I just feel so out of it, and that's when the anxiety kicks in.
Old 08-19-2011, 02:14 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Good job on your 3.5 months!

For me, it was just one foot in front of the other. No real difference between 3 and 6 months.
Don't overanalyze it, just enjoy sobriety!
You are doing very good, keep going!
Old 08-19-2011, 03:42 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I am @ 5 months. This is the longest that I have EVER been sober since I was 13! I just take one day at a time and don't put myself in situations where I might want to drink. If I think that I might go somewhere and be tempted that day, I won't go. Like Least said, I feel pretty secure in being sober.