Notices

Red patches on face day after drinking?

Old 07-31-2011, 08:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Red patches on face day after drinking?

Hello,

I know someone who I am certain is drinking again, although I have not seen them do it. They are very good about hiding it, but I am seeing red patches on their face on certain days, which used to happen to me near the end. I never did figure out what this is called, though, I just noticed that it started happening every time I drank. Did this happen to anyone else?

Anybody know what it is called? I would like to say to this person "Listen, numbskull, you see those red blotches on your skin? That is from the booze last night!"
Old 07-31-2011, 08:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I don't know if there is a term for this, but I would get it if I drank whisky or dark spirits.
Old 07-31-2011, 09:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
abc

Technically it's called rosacea, but I prefer the slang term "gin blossoms".
Old 07-31-2011, 09:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Not in my drinking history.....but at the end of my drinking the tops of my ears turned red and were hot when I touched them.

This stopped immediately when I quit drinking..
Old 07-31-2011, 09:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yep, it sounds like rosacea, but you can also get symptoms from eating highly spiced foods, from being excited/anxious, and from sun exposure. My friend has it, as yes, it definitely flares up when she's drinking, but I've also seen it when she's eaten a spicy meal the night before (she's not a regular drinker or a binger, and she'd be honest with me if she had been drinking).

Tread carefully...whilst your suspicions may be correct, you may get a 'none of your business'. But I think you could probably handle that, you are a pretty straight talker
Old 08-01-2011, 04:27 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

My entire face would be red soon after I started & all of the next day after drinking. It would get so red people would ask me at work it I had a sunburn. It was definitely a tell-tale sign I had been drinking that I couldn't hide. I don't know if your friend's red splotches are the same thing, but it's one of the classic signs.
Old 08-01-2011, 05:14 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

I agree with the rosacea thing. My husband has it and it doesn't seem to really tie into his drinking (he's not an alcoholic but he does drink).
Old 08-01-2011, 06:06 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

i have a friend who says he is allegic to certain whiskeys--he gets a red face (cheeks) after drikinking say, Turkey, for several hours. I'm not sure if it is there the next day--If he is driniking beer or vodka, this doesn't happen.

I've also heard in the past of Asian Flush Syndrome? Think this had some red face symptoms as I recall...could be way the heck off.
Old 08-01-2011, 06:08 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Here is some info on Asian Flush, or alcohol flush:

Alcohol flush reaction - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 08-01-2011, 07:02 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

You're on to something. My cousin who is an MD was looking me over for melanoma and pointed out some very subtle freckle like blemishes, and told me that those are from drinking. They were not Rum Blossoms or rosacea. There was another term she used which escapes me now. I will ask her next chance I get. I wonder if I still have them 8 months sober.
Old 08-01-2011, 07:51 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

it is not rosacea. i have been drinking for 3 years everyday. had the same thing at work my you you out in the sun too long. it is the blood vessels in your face reacting to the achohol. I have only been dry for 20 days and by my face so look much different. it was embarassing going to work. i was off for a dry week and when i got back everyone said i looked so differnet. couldnt place it but i knoew what they meant
Old 08-01-2011, 08:52 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
~sb

I get red patches touching my face with germ filled hands after riding the bus or touching chairs, hands, or faces at a meeting.

Today I choose not to judge others (it's a process of change), so maybe ask the person what's causing it.
I also did that a month ago.

I am so sensitive physically & mentally today, but I still react as if I am guilty of whatever.
76 days clean
Old 08-01-2011, 08:55 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
~sb

AVRT, i know u aren't aa, but remember:

Contempt prior to investigation doesn't help anyone
Old 08-02-2011, 10:04 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
~sb

Originally Posted by CarolD View Post
Not in my drinking history.....but at the end of my drinking the tops of my ears turned red and were hot when I touched them.

This stopped immediately when I quit drinking..
that was dehydration showing!
Old 08-02-2011, 10:06 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
~sb

Originally Posted by PaleMale View Post
You're on to something. My cousin who is an MD was looking me over for melanoma and pointed out some very subtle freckle like blemishes, and told me that those are from drinking. They were not Rum Blossoms or rosacea. There was another term she used which escapes me now. I will ask her next chance I get. I wonder if I still have them 8 months sober.
some of mine have already disappeared!
Old 08-17-2011, 09:52 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

keratosis pilaris. It's the name of the condition that makes peoples faces red all the time and they usually also have red bumps on legs and upper arms. I have this and it can be a pain, sort of like wearing your emotions on your sleeve.
Old 08-20-2011, 09:38 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Matt M

Yeah I used to get it terribly everytime I had drank alot.
Just looked very blotchy all over my face (corner of cheeks, just above eyebrows etc) and very dry skin so I had to use loads of moisturiser.
It was very noticeable too, so quite embarassing.
Old 08-20-2011, 10:00 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

My A stepson developed red patches on his face that would bleed due to his drinking. It was not Rosacea.....sadly I don't recall the name of that symptom either.....
Old 08-21-2011, 07:58 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I don't recall having red patches on my face..but did get acne..it cleared up within a year... I did suffer nosebleeds near the end...bad news there!! thankfully no long term effects!!
Old 02-15-2013, 04:31 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

it happens as result of an accumulation of acetaldehyde, a metabolic byproduct of the catabolic metabolism of alcohol. Its a sure sign that someone has been having a good time the night before