Notices

Have a question please

Old 07-25-2011, 12:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Have a question please

Hello,

I am new here and have over 1 year sober from drinking and smoking weed as well as any illicit drugs.

I am prescribed medication for some disorders.

I have a question if you please. If you are in recovery for drinking and weed can you take pain pills for severe dental pain? I had to have a root canal recently and another filling that was done got infected and my whole cheek swelled and it hurt so bad I could not sleep and barely work. So my family gave me some pain pills for it along with antibiotics.

Is that a bad thing to do?

Would it interfere with sobriety?

Thanks
Old 07-25-2011, 12:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You know, I wouldn't take pills just 'given' to you by family. If you need them, I'd call the dentist and get seen again by him/her. They would be able to examine your mouth and tell you if they are necessary. It wouldn't be a bad thing to tell them you are in active recovery from your previous addictions so they can be selective about what's available to you.

Sorry you are in pain, it sounds awful! Get better soon.
Old 07-25-2011, 12:31 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

welcome...well done on your sober time...

Call your denist and explain what you are doing please. the anti botics may not work with the pain pills.
Plus they may interact badly with your prescribed medications. and most are addictive.

sorry you ARE HAVING DENTAL PROBLEMS....

Last edited by CarolD; 07-25-2011 at 12:54 AM.
Old 07-25-2011, 01:23 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

I understand wanting relief from dental pain. However taking medication that is not prescribed to you is illegal in the USA. So that's not good.

Unmonitored pain medication can cause problems for some addicts. That and the way many pain medications act on the brain. This may cause cravings to misuse the medication or trigger the need to use/abuse other harmful substances associated with ones addiction.

Its best to get a doctors opinion about pain medicating especially when the doctor knows ones drug issues in the past.
Old 07-25-2011, 05:36 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yes, a bad idea. My Son just got back from rehab for pain pills. He had a told me that getting pain pills for back pain from a friend's mom was what got him started on his road to addiction.
Old 07-25-2011, 05:51 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

I've taken Rx meds......and I haven't had to "borrow" anything from friends or family. I suppose that I "might" consider it if I was really backed into a wall and couldn't get to the doc.

That being said......a decision like that......I'd run it by my sponsor just to double-check my judgement, yanno? I learned that sometimes it's really helpful AND enlightening to get a second opinion on what I come up with on my own.
Old 07-25-2011, 07:35 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Like others have said, taking pills given to you by non-doctors probably isn't a good idea.

About a month ago I had a fairly major dental problem. The dental surgeon prescribed some hydrocodone. The old me would have finished that bottle in a couple of days but this time I didn't even finish the prescription. Pain went away so I stopped taking them.

So yes it's possible but see a medical professional please to make sure you get the right stuff and most importantly, the right dosage.
Old 07-25-2011, 08:09 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

If pain medication is given to you by a doctor.....and the doctor knows your in recovery
and you follow what he says......to the letter. Then no your recovery isn't in danger.
Self medicating is not a good idea.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:24 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Welcome to SR.

I do have to agree with the previous posters.....taking pain medication without a prescription can be dangerous and personally I think does affect your sobriety.

You should call your dentist/doctor and talk to them. They would be the proper ones to give you pain medications rather than your family/friends. They know what medications you are taking and how the pain meds work with them so they know the best ones to prescribe.
Old 07-25-2011, 11:23 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Plus you need have dentist evaluate to make sure there are not other complications he needs to take care of for you.
I took care of someone who had a tooth infection improperly treated (in that he did not go to a professional) and ended up having the infection get into his jawbone- was not a good thing..
Old 07-25-2011, 12:09 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
not little, a stranger no more

Welcome Herowithacause,
I agree with the previous posters, not only because the risks to your recovery, but because i know from a pretty heavy dental surgery that it is very important to get exactly the right treatment to make it heal up properly. As much as the pain bothers you right now, go to your dentist, be honest about your concerns. I wish you aspeedy recovery,
Lionne