Notices

14 Months Sober, AA burn out

Old 07-19-2011, 08:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

14 Months Sober, AA burn out

Howdy all, Ive been clean and sober for 14 months. Working the program, going to meetings, working with others, etc. However, a few weeks ago, I just got this burned out feeling about going to meetings, etc. I'm hoping the feeling will just pass. Anyone ever had the AA burnout feeling and what did ya do to get the fire going again. Is this somewhat normal?

Thanks all
Old 07-19-2011, 09:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Do you have good friends who you see at meetings? Sometimes the only thing motivating me to get to a meeting is the chance to catch up with my friends (whatever gets you in the door, right?). If not, maybe you could try and develop more of a friendship outside meetings with a few of the people you regularly see there?

GG
Old 07-19-2011, 09:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congrats on 14 months
Old 07-19-2011, 09:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

The same meetings and the same ppl can get stale after a while.

It might be time to change things up.

I found mixing in some high quality open talks did wonders: AA Speakers Pass it on! - Download free podcast episodes by Anonymous on iTunes. has a link to an itunes podcast (click the blue "view in itunes" button on the left - if you don't have itunes yet, you'll have to install it first......there are a couple hundred talks here and most of them (if not all) are really good. As you find speakers you like, then hit up XA XA-Speakers - The lights are on!, do a search for the speaker, and grab a bunch of their other talks.

There are a couple threads here on SR in the 12-step recovery forum where lots of good speakers are recommended.

One thing's likely........regardless of how you go about it, it's probably time to change things up. Maybe it's time to get into the Big Book or the 12 & 12. Maybe it's time to read Sermon on the Mount or one of the other "old school" AA books. Maybe it's time to go back through the work. Maybe you need less meetings (if you're going to a bunch) or more meetings (if you're not going very often) or just time to find some NEW meetings.......
Old 07-19-2011, 10:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

To keep my AA pink cloud sailing high...I find a new member to share it with..one on one. ..
I'm not talking about formal sponsorship....more about widening friendships.

Well done on your 14 months...
Old 07-20-2011, 12:25 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CarolD View Post
To keep my AA pink cloud sailing high...I find a new member to share it with..one on one. :
I cannot really say how much it helped when someone said, "Do you have to leave right away?" And I ended up staying.
Old 07-20-2011, 04:30 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I know how you feel. After diving in head first and giving my all to AA I reached a point when I needed to be pushed out of the nest. That first year is filled with revelations and learning. I brought my message out to the real world. Work, home, the grocery store, etc... Its very easy to settle into a constant state of struggle, there is no need to. AA allowed me to have a good life, so get out there and enjoy it. Just sayin...
Old 07-20-2011, 06:38 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Been there.....recovery burn-out.
That's when I explored some outside interests that would still be healthy
life style choices. Like a baby learning to walk.
Old 07-20-2011, 06:45 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I had that experience, and I started going to a different meeting with different perspectives. I still went to the first meeting, just not as much. Also started to pay more attention to the non-AA stuff in my life, excercise, projects around the house, signed up for night classes.
Old 07-20-2011, 12:00 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Professional Alcoholic

I burned out after two weeks. AA is a godsend for some and for others?....not so much.
Old 07-20-2011, 02:51 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Earth Child

we burned out after 2 weeks of meetings too took a break from it for a month and went back the main reason it burned out for us is our social anxiety

Ella
Old 07-20-2011, 07:21 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the replys, great stuff!

Just talked to my sponsor and he advised me to take a few days off, relax and enjoy life and then hit a few meetings around town I havn't been to before.

Sounds good to me
Old 07-20-2011, 08:09 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Congrats on your sobriety! If you feel strong enough, why not treat yourself to a mini vacation? Even camping in the woods for one night, away from life's problems, can really help renew your mind!
Old 07-20-2011, 08:29 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BunnyLoves View Post
Congrats on your sobriety! If you feel strong enough, why not treat yourself to a mini vacation? Even camping in the woods for one night, away from life's problems, can really help renew your mind!
Thanks Bunny, camping does sounds fun. A night or two in the woods would probably help clear my mind.
Old 07-20-2011, 09:02 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Bunny....Welcome to our SR Alcoholism Forum..

that was a good idea....I would have never thught of camping out anywhere for any reason.......thank you.