Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

I did a new blood test, everthig is normal except ...

Notices

Old 07-18-2011, 06:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Except the gamma gt which's a liver enzyme, when it's high, something isn't properly right with liver. The thing is, I'm no longer a massive binge drinker but I drink each 2 weeks. I asked the doctor If I could perform new exams, but he insisted that's not necessary, because my Gamma Gt isnt alot high, but urged me to stop for good. Any of you already had high Gamma Gt!? I don't feel nothing, no pain at all.
Old 07-18-2011, 07:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yeah my new liver function results were pretty good. I'm almost 90 days sober now. It's up to you if you want to stop for good I was a binge drinker to. If I said I could drink every 2 weeks truth is I probably could for a while but I would start binging maybe once a week then be back to where i started binge drinking 5 days a week feeling like crap my life would be a mess. I don't care about my gamma now as my results are normal as I choose to live sober. If your liver was in pain and now nothing how long do you think that will last if you continue to drink? listen to your doctor! That's more important than your gamma
Old 07-18-2011, 07:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

We can't give medical advice here. But your doctor "urging you to stop drinking" should mean more to you than anything we can say. Good luck!
Old 07-18-2011, 07:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I so wish you would quit drinking ..I mean totally stop.
Why mess around with a liquid you know is addictive and dangerous?
Old 07-18-2011, 07:46 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by flavinho View Post
Except the gamma gt which's a liver enzyme, when it's high, something isn't properly right with liver. The thing is, I'm no longer a massive binge drinker but I drink each 2 weeks. I asked the doctor If I could perform new exams, but he insisted that's not necessary, because my Gamma Gt isnt alot high, but urged me to stop for good. Any of you already had high Gamma Gt!? I don't feel nothing, no pain at all.
So what is your plan for the future?

The insanity of this disease is we will rationalize till the cows come home so we can continue to drink.

The amazing thing about sobriety is I no longer worry about medical tests and damage to my liver.
Old 07-18-2011, 08:28 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CarolD View Post
I so wish you would quit drinking ..I mean totally stop.
Why mess around with a liquid you know is addictive and dangerous?
Originally Posted by Freedom1990 View Post
So what is your plan for the future?

The insanity of this disease is we will rationalize till the cows come home so we can continue to drink.

The amazing thing about sobriety is I no longer worry about medical tests and damage to my liver.

At some point, will have to quit for good, so, better to achieve it now while Im young
Old 07-18-2011, 04:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yeah, I think liver disease can be pretty far advanced before you start to feel anything. Quit now friend.
Old 07-18-2011, 07:18 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Not medical advice, but there are multiple ways that can measure your liver function, generally divided into two groups, LFTs (liver function tests) and tests that measure liver damage. Dont be confused, they're typically grouped together and called LFTs. The most common tests that measure the damage are AST and ALT. They measure acute damage. If they are high, you may still have a well functioning liver. The GGT is in this group as well (Gamma Glutamyl Transferase). The AST and ALT are generally less sensitive than the GGT. You may have a normal AST and ALT, but a very high GGT. The GGT is a much more sensitive test for Liver damage, specifically alcoholic damage. It has a more far reaching measurement time-wise. Maybe if you had a short period of binging, it could be high, while the other ones may be basically normal.

The other ones are the actual Liver Function Tests, which measure how well it is actually functioning. These include the Total Bilirubin, Total Protein, Albumin, and PT/INR. If these are in the normal range, it tends to indicate that the liver is still functioning (at the time the test was taken).

In conclusion, you probably should stop drinking, if your doctor has concerns about it, regardless of your interpretation of the tests. Your liver can fail suddenly, without symptoms. its good to keep track of your labs, but they shouldnt be used as an enforcement for you to keep drinking. Afterall, alcoholism is fatal if untreated.
Old 07-18-2011, 08:37 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

ugh- well...Dr. only ordered the less senstive test, not the GGT...I was excited the other was normal- now I guess I should ask the doctor about doing the other.
Old 07-19-2011, 10:40 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by flavinho View Post
Pain is usually a bad sign. You don't even want to feel pain. It's obvious and a warning sign now for you to stop the habit.

Regular check ups on the Liver and Body internals are important. Although Alcohol targets heaviliy on the liver, your diet intake is important. Too much grease and fat 'will' be bad as well.