Notices

Massive Attack video

Old 07-11-2011, 08:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
abc

Massive Attack video

Warning: this video may trigger

Check out this Massive Attack video.

This video perfectly illustrates how I like to drink. I'm on Day 11 now. I miss vodka so much I want to cry. The cravings are driving me up the walls, really. I wanna get so s**tfaced it's unreal. Someone hold me back.

Last edited by Dee74; 07-11-2011 at 08:56 PM. Reason: add warning
Old 07-11-2011, 08:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I remember grieving alcohol too - and climbing up the walls.
It was perhaps the most difficult period of my life, but it did get easier.

What are you doing for support abc? Whatever you can find, use it - and maybe stop watching stuff that might trigger you?

D
Old 07-11-2011, 08:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Wow, I watched the whole thing. Didn't look like she was having a lot of fun. That video makes me want to continue staying sober!!! I wish they showed how she felt when she woke up the next morning ... or did she wake up at all?
Old 07-11-2011, 08:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

That vid reminded me how life used to be, the store, the first drink, the drunkness, avoiding life and then out in public staggering, passing out. wake up repeat.

Thats no way to live, i see that now... I hope you can too.
Old 07-11-2011, 09:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
abc

I love how at the end she falls down a never-ending staircase. I've felt like that before. Great video.

Dee, for support I'm reading SR several hours a day, cycling, walking, reading recovery books (Rational Recovery, Under the Influence, a few others). Still the cravings are intense. Luckily I have no booze in the house. I spilled it all out. Would take effort to get more.

I just miss it so much. I love a vodka on the rocks after the ice has melted just a little. So glorious. How am I ever gonna make it?
Old 07-11-2011, 09:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I found this technique helped me deal with cravings.

Overcoming Life's Obstacles: Urge Surfing to beat addictions and cravings

we get so used to instantly gratifying the cravings I think we forget we don't actually need to gratify them at all - they are finite, and we can get through them.

I also found the technique of playing the tape through was useful to me - it's easy to think of that first glass and romanticise it even - it's less easy to 'play the tape though to the end' and remind ourselves of where exactly that drink will ultimately take us.

leaving alcohol behind can be a lot like leaving a bad relationship I think - especially in the first few weeks...

it's easy to remember the good times and find reasons to stay - but it's crucial we remember the bad bits and why we needed to leave too, y'know?

D
Old 07-11-2011, 09:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I love Massive Attack. I saw that video last summer when I was at my darkest point ever. I watched it and just started bawling. I was watching myself.
Old 07-11-2011, 09:55 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
abc

Yeah I know. If I start now I will drink for a month straight. Then detox and be sick for 5 days then end up right where I am today. What a miserable addiction. Alcohol is the cause of and solution to all my problems.
Old 07-11-2011, 10:08 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
abc

Me too babycat. A normie friend of mine showed me that video a while back. For her it was just fun to watch and kinda sad. For me it was real.
Old 07-12-2011, 03:14 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Ooohhhh the irony, the advertisement before the video was for beer (for me). Lol! What a great song though wow!! I hadn't hit the point that girl was yet, but I see it on the horizon if I don't get a grip, hence my being here now...
Old 07-12-2011, 09:47 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

abc you sound like a dry drunk. I was one. I hated life and I wanted alcohol like nobody's business. I hated everything that walked. I hated me. Then I found the 12 step program. I didn't like that either. Call me a tough case. Yeah, I was-
I drank like that girl, just like her.
Now...man...life is so good. I do pray. I am so thankful.
Old 07-12-2011, 10:11 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

Hi ABC-

I used to CRUSH vodka and red bull.

Then I would pretty much have to go get coke and the cycle would repeat over and over and over. The guilt, shame, remorse, hangovers, fights, lies, denial, etc...

I'm soooo happy I'm free.

Don't listen to the lies in your head.

Don't believe everything you think.

Kjell~
Old 07-12-2011, 12:32 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
abc

I certainly don't do the part where she stumbles around the city and lays on a park bench. Everything else is accurate though. I always liked to drink at home. I like being my own DJ and my own bartender. Plus at home you can get as hammered as you want.
Old 07-12-2011, 01:02 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by abc View Post
I certainly don't do the part where she stumbles around the city and lays on a park bench. Everything else is accurate though. I always liked to drink at home. I like being my own DJ and my own bartender. Plus at home you can get as hammered as you want.
I did that too. I had my headphones on, locked the bathroom door, and danced in front of the mirror blasting the music. Being drunk and listening to my favorite rock made me feel young again, 40 yrs younger. I grew up with the Doors, Hendrix, Joplin, Rolling Stones.......and all the greats, party every day.

But What I was really doing in the present was an illusion. I wanted to live in that illusion until I passed out. Even if I pissed in my bed from being so wasted.

I knew I didn't want to continue like that.
Old 07-12-2011, 01:02 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

probably in a blackout by the time she went outside of the apartment...she planned to stay home too, I would wager.

Wow--falling down the staircase says it all...the downward spiral.

That video certainly stops the romanticizing for me!
Old 07-12-2011, 02:41 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by abc
I just miss it so much. I love a vodka on the rocks after the ice has melted just a little. So glorious. How am I ever gonna make it?
My sponsor called this type of activity "romancing a drink". He also told me not to do it, just remember my worst hangover/withdrawal. He was right.
Old 07-12-2011, 02:50 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
In Recovery

Thanks for the video... the vodka drinking actually made my stomach turn.
Old 07-12-2011, 03:12 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Those are the tapes I play when I feel like escaping life. I was Sober for 16 yrs and stopped going to meetings, no sponsor, no sober friends.....
• 12 years ago I had my first spinal fusion that led to two more=Hooked on Narcs
• Combat Vet
• Then, I was laid off after 17 years
• Downin 900 pills a month
• Had to deal with a Family Crisis

Said Fk it and bought some booze, The next day, my wife left, I was a wreck, needed to not feel and OD'd on pills (for the 3rd time accidentally).
Emergency Room~Detox~Rehab

I play the tapes and remember the misery I felt and caused, Now I have 2yrs Clean and Sober, actively in recovery for Sex Addiction.....

A life of Addiction and Recovery

Go to meetings, they have been there and worse

Thank you for making the decision to post, You help me in my recovery.
Old 07-12-2011, 05:49 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

R3CONMARINE..........Welcome

Thanks for sharing part of your powerful message with us...
Old 07-13-2011, 01:28 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

This is my first post, I guess the video hit me right where it hurts. Here in me.

Isolation and drunkeness, my favorite past times. At least it was yesterday. I want today to be different. One more time, trying to make it just 24 hrs.

My life suks. It's gotta get better before I die.

DB