Notices

maybe I'm like an unofficial sponsor?

Old 07-08-2011, 07:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

maybe I'm like an unofficial sponsor?

Having a quiet weekend... 12.03am here start of day 78 for me. One of my mates is 8 days sober I went and saw him yesterday. He looked heaps better but his LFT results were high, much higher than mine. I think it was enough to scare him straight off the grog but for how long.

The doctor was almost going to put him straight in hospital. I sent him the link for rain in my heart and some other links that I found helpful and useful over the years trying to sober up.

Just was looking at a mirror image of myself at my first week. He quit his job and is worried about alcoholic hepatitis. I said your doing well mate just look after yourself and do whatever is neccessary to stay sober and put yourself first.

He's a bit of a streetwise dude spent alot time out drinking and crashing at friends places I think leaving that life behind will be very hard for him. I think I may have been a postive influence on his life in sobering up.

First time he's tried a sober life, I've had a few attempts so trying to help him along a bit with some wisdom. He's got a lot of problems at the moment with family, the law, mental health issues and relationships. He also has no money at the moment and is waiting for a payment which he thinks is coming next week, so I don't know if when he gets some money it will be straight to the bottle shop.

Hard to say weather or not its for the right reasons or if he's just worried about his health. As I've seen here sometimes people have posted that health reasons wasn't enough for some to stay sober.

He has ruled out AA meetings and now that he's not working I don't think he's doing much. He got put on some meds, his family are happy and they like me to I suppose because I'm in recovery.

I told him to give me a ring if he wants to talk, he's got no real plans for recovery in progress except some blood tests with doctor's and ultrasound of the liver as well as a councellor which will hopefully give him some guidance. I suppose its a start will be very interested to see where he's at 1 month from now etc.

This is the first time in my life where I can see where my help will be valuable and may hopefully save his life. Like an unofficial sponsor. Anyway only time will tell. Didn't really know he was serious about this until I saw him so now I'm interested in what more I can do and advice I should be giving.
Old 07-08-2011, 08:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

A good example of each one ..reach one.....

All my best to both of you Check...thanks for helping someone else..
Old 07-08-2011, 09:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

It's great that you might be able to help a friend. Great that you want to. Before I quit I had a friend visit me. I was drinking but he was an absolute mess. I tried to find out as much as I could about addiction and alcoholism so I could help him. But in the end, I told him he would be welcome when he's sober and I sent him packing.

He left. Three months later he shot himself. To this day I wish I had done something different.
Old 07-08-2011, 11:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey Check I think that is great you are helping your friend try to stay sober. By helping him you will probably strengthen your sobriety.
Old 02-17-2013, 04:38 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Smile

Originally Posted by checkmate1 View Post

This is the first time in my life where I can see where my help will be valuable and may hopefully save his life.
You are doing great. You are practicing the crux of service work and it will help you live a sober life.
Old 02-17-2013, 05:06 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Fellow Traveler and Seeker

This thread is two years old...