Notices

How can I quit? How do I start?

Old 06-25-2011, 12:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy How can I quit? How do I start?

I've been an alcoholic for a few years now - it started in 08 when I was stationed in Germany, and the primary reason I drank heavily was to quit my gambling addiction I had for 4 years prior to that. I also had been going through a real rough breakup with my fiance who I'd dated for 11 years (started in 8th grade) as well as a death to a real close mentor, who I couldn't make his funeral (due to being overseas)

I'm currently stationed back stateside and love drinking socially, watching ballgames, nascar, etc... ...but at night, once the door is closed I can't help but open the whiskey and drink until I pass out. I literally can not sleep without being drunk. I've tried it before and will get wild ass dreams, cold sweats, etc.

I want to-want to quit, especially in the mornings, but come 1600hrs, only thing i can think of is pounding the Bourbon.

How do I quit? Where do I start? How can I be just a social drinker and quit after 3 or 4 beers?

Old 06-25-2011, 12:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

If you are an alcoholic, it is highly unlikely you can turn into a social drinker and quit after a couple of drinks. (Techinally, 1-2 drinks is social drinking, 3-4 already surpasses that).

How do you quit? You figure out you are done, really done, drinking, and stop drinking. Then you get to work on recovery. You do it one day at a time, one hour, one minute if need be. You find support and help and you get better every single day. And hopefully, you find one day you are quite happy and content with life sober.

My life sober is wonderful. I wouldn't trade my worst day sober for my best day drunk. But it took a lot of work and help to get to this point. The early days are hard, and honestly, it can be very scary putting the alcohol aside.

I wish you luck. keep coming back here, you will find lots of advice, suggestions and support.
Old 06-25-2011, 12:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Best After Date:June 12, 2011

Likely you can't be a social drinker. I think there is a line you cross that can't be reversed, even if you quit you can't go back to drinking like a normal person. I just personally started looking at my life, where I was, where I was before drinking, where I wanted to be etc. and decided i HAD to do something about it. I've gained 50 lbs from booze alone and was really sick and tired of being hung over every day and just waiting to get home to drink my hang over away. What a fun life. I also calculated what I was spending on booze from my account statement. $590 a month I was drinking away. And not in bars, that is purchased alcohol I was taking home. That was an eye opener. Not the money, but that I was consuming THAT much. I'm on day 12 and feelign amazing. I've been lucky though, most people seem to have gone through a way worse detox than I have.
Talk to you doctor before you quit and be honest. Quitting a long standing drinking problem can be dangerous and even deadly.

And welcome, we are all in the same boat here.
Old 06-25-2011, 12:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

If you are an alcoholic, you won't be able to become a social drinker. I was under the illusion that I could become a social drinker, but I lose control. Many alcoholics just lose control when they start drinking. You admitted that you have a problem and you can change by abstaining from alcohol. Yes, drinking until you pass out is a sign of alcoholism. You said you want to quit. Lots of people here will help you obtain that goal. You can change by abstaining from alcohol starting now and never touching the stuff again.
Old 06-25-2011, 01:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

For those of you who've replied, thank you - I do have a quick question for you who have had success, ...Do you recommend gradually drinking less each night until none, or quitting out right cold turkey?

Again, thank you for all responses.
Old 06-25-2011, 01:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome! Just admitting your problem and reaching out for help is a big first step. We know what it's like to be stuck in the vicious cycle.

If you read the posts around this forum you'll find lots of ideas about how to get and stay sober. When I first got here I couldn't imagine life without alcohol but now see how insane that thought was.

If we can do it, you can too.......
Old 06-25-2011, 01:27 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Best After Date:June 12, 2011

Originally Posted by USAF29 View Post
For those of you who've replied, thank you - I do have a quick question for you who have had success, ...Do you recommend gradually drinking less each night until none, or quitting out right cold turkey?

Again, thank you for all responses.
I was on here 12 days ago asking the exact same question. The definitive answer was that it doesn't work for most. My biggest worry was the detox, but I know myself and all I'd do is spend my entire day looking forward to whatever alcohol I was going to allow myself that day and probably chug it all at once to catch the buzz, cause that's what we're all after. And likely sneaking a few in when the wife wasn't looking.
I'm glad I quit outright instead of tapering because, and this is jus because I know myself, I would almost definitely still be drinking and ramping up again.
But, talk to your doctor first and see what he/she reccomends. But be hones about your alcohol consumption.
Old 06-25-2011, 01:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thats the thing about alcohol... for me, I like to use the pringles slogan... "once you pop, you can't stop....."

I'm quitting. Not really in any place to give advice, (only 3 days) but I've made it to 10 days before and I could REEEALLLLY feel a difference in my soul. sounds lame.... but its true.
Old 06-25-2011, 02:21 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by USAF29 View Post

...Do you recommend gradually drinking less each night until none, or quitting out right cold turkey?
I tried "tapering off" dozens of times and found I would only "taper" back up within a short period of time. On the other hand, "cold turkey" is dangerous. You need to consult a Doctor before you do that.
Old 06-25-2011, 05:57 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Thank you for your military service

Welcome to our recovery community...

Please take a few minutes to read this sticky post ..

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html
Old 06-25-2011, 09:11 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Question Re:How can I quit? How do I start?

Originally Posted by GettingStronger2 View Post
If you are an alcoholic, it is highly unlikely you can turn into a social drinker and quit after a couple of drinks. (Techinally, 1-2 drinks is social drinking, 3-4 already surpasses that).

How do you quit? You figure out you are done, really done, drinking, and stop drinking. Then you get to work on recovery. You do it one day at a time, one hour, one minute if need be. You find support and help and you get better every single day. And hopefully, you find one day you are quite happy and content with life sober.

My life sober is wonderful. I wouldn't trade my worst day sober for my best day drunk. But it took a lot of work and help to get to this point. The early days are hard, and honestly, it can be very scary putting the alcohol aside.

I wish you luck. keep coming back here, you will find lots of advice, suggestions and support.
Recovery in a nutshell, the rest is up to you...
Old 06-25-2011, 09:12 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR USAF29

D
Old 06-25-2011, 09:33 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

I gather from your posts that you are 'active' in the Air Force.

Thank you for your service.

I would suggest that you talk one on one with your CO. If you need detox your CO can help you with that, and your CO will also be able to steer you to some AA meetings, on base where you are stationed now.

You will be amazed, as you give up the alcohol, at just how many of us there are in the armed forces and especially the Air Force.

You see, even before I found recovery I was married to Air Force. Back in the Viet Nam era. My hubby was Air Force Intelligence and did tours of duty behind enemy lines. I was amazed even back then at how many meetings there were on base.

There are many more now.

Your CO probably already 'suspects.' Go to your CO. Ask for help. No, yhour CO will not automatically 'write you up.' Help is available. You have already asked here. Now, hopefully you can ask your CO.

Again, thank you for your service. I keep all our 'military personnel' in my prayers every night!!!!!

Love and hugs,