Notices

Depressed

Old 06-15-2011, 04:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Depressed

Am finding lately that I am quite depressed and not very motivated. I am still going strong sober wise but laking a lot of motivation on getting out of bed. I used to run nearly everyday and now find I am too lazy, have instead taken up the Gym at my work and forcing myself to go there......For some reason I feel like I am losing myself a bit here........it is a strange feeling not too sure what that is all about......
Old 06-15-2011, 04:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Have you spoken to your Dr or thought about a counsellor Sidney?
You've had a lot of stress lately - it may take a little time to bounce back from that?

D
Old 06-15-2011, 05:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sunny Side Up

Hi Sidney

Going to your doctor is a great idea from Dee. I find I get depressed and feel out of sorts if too much is going on in my life. Sometimes I can be a worry wart too, I tend to worry too much about everyone else. When I start thinking more about me and what I really need, it gets clearer. I do understand what you said about - For some reason I feel like I am losing myself a bit here Sometimes I feel very alone (but have many people around me). Sometimes I feel like I cant just be myself, ya know. But Im getting better at it. Maybe you just need some time out, you need a rest, thats ok. Im a real thinker, (I think too much sometimes) so, I talk to myself and ask myself questions & get honest (whats up Jo?) and 9 times out of 10 I get the answers, ya know.

Keep your chin up, eat healthy and smile, ok hun,.
Old 06-15-2011, 05:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I know how you feel. I get that way too. I constantly think "Did i drink to escape this feeling?" In other words, am i depressed because i stopped drinking? Or, did i drink because i felt uncomfortable and not happy?
I tend to think the 2nd. I like interacting with people, and i found it much easier when i had a few. But, that stopped working, as i relied on it too much.
Anyway, i'm learning to live with the feelings, and become quite expert at them.

And, i don't think the depression would go away if you/i were still drinking. Depression + alcohol = rage. We'd have much worse problems.
Old 06-15-2011, 06:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Another Day in Paradise

A sober friend of mine, who has since passed away used to tell me that when you are having difficulties in life go out and pick a stranger and try and do something nice for them without getting caught.

It sounds simple and I guess it is, but there have been many a day over the years when that simple task has taken my mind off of me sufficiently to get me moving in the right direction again.

Credit to my friend, Charlie Vance RIP.

Thanks,
Jon
Old 06-15-2011, 06:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Depression in sobriety can be serious. I've had episodes that have had me loose my job, home (everything in it) and had me eventually in the hospital. Do have yourself checked-out by a doctor.
Old 06-15-2011, 08:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Sidney ... this is very common when getting sober and it will change. It's part of the process. I suggest seeing your doctor ... if possible, an MD who is an expert in addiction.
You're doing great! Congratulations on doing the hard work.
Old 06-16-2011, 03:52 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks so much for all your replies. I did see my psychiatrist but to be honest I felt like I was not going anywhere with it........It is more a feeling of feeling down, I am not thinking about anything particular or nothing is really wrong apart from me having to cart two little kids under two on public transport everywhere I go since I lost my license... I also have been having quite a few vivid dreams about my past, I spoke to a friend about it and he suggested that my brain was most likely trying to catch up and process it....i,.e file away........I am on antidepressants, maybe it is just sobriety,,,,,,,or the fact that this time around I am doing all the work to stay sober i,e working the steps...and writing gratitude lists, doing daily reading,,,blah blah,,,,,,,,
Old 06-17-2011, 12:34 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Post Re:Depression

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Have you spoken to your Dr or thought about a counsellor Sidney?
You've had a lot of stress lately - it may take a little time to bounce back from that?

D
Sounds like good advice to me.
Old 06-17-2011, 04:39 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I experienced the same, too, about six to nine months into my sobriety. This happened after I spent 90 days in rehab (pretty intense counseling there for the last month), went to AA meetings, and continued in outpatient counseling. I balked at suggestions that I go to see the psychiatrist in outpatient. I believed that after all of what I did to get better, I did NOT want to take pills to get better. I eventually went to him when the situation was not improving, and I was prescribed anti-depressants. While the medication did not kick in immediately, they improved the situation. I think part of the problem I was having was because there was SO MUCH work to do in getting sober, coupled with having to take buses with one hour layovers in between, that it was really getting to me.

That being said, the depression was immobilizing while in the midst of it. I experienced racing thoughts regarding everything I had to do, and became quite overwhelmed with it all; to the point that I could do nothing! I felt like the situation was never going to change. Happily, I proved myself wrong once again, but a few changes in thinking helped, as well.

A wise mentor told me to look at everything I had to do to stay sober and to move forward in my life into a football field. You play football one yard at a time. Sometimes you lose a yard, sometimes you gain 20 yards. It's just the way the game is played. However, the game is won by yards.

Sounds a bit like living one day at a time; but when dealing with depression, it sometimes does come down to one minute at a time.

When the racing thoughts subsided (and the medication helped), it was then when I was able to move forward.

Are you seeing a psychiatrist that has affiliation with alcoholism treatment? That's the first thing that came to my mind when you responded before.

I hold great regard for those in the medical community, but I have been around the block enough to know that some of the advice I have heard given, especially to newcomers in sobriety, that makes me cringe. There are those who really know very little about the disease of addiction. I don't know if it is a byproduct of the patient not disclosing truthful information to them, or whether those doctors don't know much about it themselves, but I have heard of some pretty off-base prescriptions and remedies given.

If you are not already, perhaps you can get yourself hooked up with an outpatient alcoholism treatment center, with an affiliated psychiatrist, to ensure you are getting treatment for the whole package. Just a thought.

Sending good thoughts your way....
Old 06-17-2011, 06:07 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

It kicked my butt too Sidney.

While I knew the overall change to sobriety was better for me.....I started to feel worse (insecure, depressed, sad, upset about my past, anxious, etc) early on in sobriety. I figured it was from all the punishments from the court system: house arrest, alcohol tethers, blowing every couple days, no license, trying to get to/from work, etc.

It did go away.....for several months....but it came back with a vengeance. In the meantime though, I was going to meetings (a couple per week - and no....I didn't like them much) and I finally started to comply with the court in that I found an out-patient substance abuse therapist and started to see her. Well, God works in mysterious ways because the therapist saved my bacon. She was/is in recovery herself and she was an immense help to me. She convinced me to give the steps a legit shot......and she helped me with a LOT of emotional baggage I'd carried around with me all my life.

I was pretty adamant about not taking some pill to treat the symptoms......I wanted to get to the root cause and get to work on THAT. Turns out, there was more than one root - lol. It also turned out that the process wasn't always fun. But I can tell you for sure, doing the work, getting grounded in AA and working the program, and a whoooole lot of prayers paid off. It wasn't the "quick fix" that I ordinarily would have chosen but it was a solution that's continued to work for me well into my recovery.....for several years now.

Like the AA book says, the drinking is just a symptom. Dealing with the crap that's deep down inside us can be intimidating, scary, and often seems like it's futile. It's a tough road to walk.......but it gets easier with practice and the payoff is WELL worth the effort.

There are many challenges to our sobriety......especially early on. Stay strong and look to see where you can step your game up a bit. Look for the area(s) where you might be slacking off or avoiding altogether and see if some additional attention to those things makes a difference.
Old 06-17-2011, 07:22 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Sidney, depression is awful. when I got sober I think I actually mourned the loss, alcohol was there for me (so I thought) and now it was gone. I didn't know how to act, what to do. I went to two or three meetings a day for years and others showed me the way. I feel for you sweetie, hang in there and know a better day is coming. go to a meeting, I always leave an AA meeting with my sides hurting from laughter, recovery is joy. you'll be okay...mavis