Notices

3 weeks today and missing the drinking days...

Old 05-12-2011, 07:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

3 weeks today and missing the drinking days...

yeah 3 weeks today I'm looking alot better, not puffy and bloated anymore, lost a few kilos, my wallet fatter but missing the alcohol. I'm not craving it or even wanting a drink just need something to lift me in social situations.

I haven't socialized at all with my friends since I got sober. I have social anxiety and without the booze I have no confidence. Don't feel like going out and I'm single so talking to the opposite sex is impossible in my sober state.

At the same time I think it is great that I've made a decision to not drink and live a better life because I know drinking isn't the answer.....I'm torn at the moment.... this sux.

I go to see the doctor to get into rehab next week. Maybe I'll be transformed into a more confident person while I'm there...who knows....one day at a time and I've chosen not to pick up that first drink tonight and that is all that matters.
Old 05-12-2011, 08:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

I think it's normal to miss it. You're an alcoholic after all. It's what we do

You'll build a new life where alcohol has no place. It's hard at the start because it leaves such a void. We alcoholics stick alcohol in places where normal people have real content. When I removed it, life was spotty for a while.

Congrats on 3 weeks!
Old 05-12-2011, 08:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Good to know of your progress....

I found a lot of new sober friends in AA...we do all sorts
of interesting things outside of meetings.
This helps getting back "social" and we support each other.
Old 05-12-2011, 08:22 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Arc
Day 34

Yes, that can be tough, but through all of the downfalls of those things you are used to because of being on the booze, nothing can take place of not being on the booze.

You're making a great leap and 3 weeks is awesome, don't let yourself get down, realize you are making strides toward becoming a better person each day. Booze might give you that confidence you need to be social, but you know as well as anyone else its temporary.

I believe you will be just fine if you continue the sober path and will feel much better after speaking to your Doctor. Being torn is definitely understandable, but you will get through.

Congratulations on 3 weeks Checkmate.
Old 05-12-2011, 11:46 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
High on Life

You have 3 weeks today, if you start drinking again and try to stop, it will be that much harder.
Old 05-12-2011, 05:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
SR Fan

congrats on your 3 weeks and your plan to go to treatment!

I used to think I needed a drink (or 6) to be social, too. Something I've discovered since being sober is that I actually am not a big socializer. I much prefer talking to people and getting to know them one-on-one. I think I made myself try to go to parties because I thought I was a missing out or a loser if I didn't.

I think the "confidence" that you talked about comes from accepting ourselves for who we are and learning to be happy within. Early sobriety - and especially treatment - is a great time to get to know yourself and figure out what you want/need/enjoy.
Old 05-13-2011, 02:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Keep up the good work!!!!

I miss drinking on nice days on my porch or while watching a movie. The key for me was I had to find other things to replace the drinking. Things that I thought were 'cornballish' when I was drinking, I now find myself doing . A few weeks ago, I learned how to scrapbook. Tomorrow, I am going to learn how to crochet again. Next month, I will revisit sewing. There is always work to be done in the yard, visiting people that need help(older people/sick shut in), trying new recipes, Home Depot or Lowe's classes, or volunteering for a cause that you believe in.
Old 05-13-2011, 03:10 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yep, I wanted instant change...but I found rediscovering who I was and building a new life all takes time and effort checkmate.

If you think about it, all the good things do

D
Old 05-13-2011, 03:42 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I never realized how big the world outside was until I quit drinking. And how many amazing, rewarding and challenging things there are to do. It's incredible.

I feel sad that for the last couple of years, the only challenge I thought was rewarding was getting the cork out of the bottle with a broken corkscrew...sigh
Old 05-13-2011, 05:00 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Arc
Day 34

Originally Posted by newwings View Post
I never realized how big the world outside was until I quit drinking. And how many amazing, rewarding and challenging things there are to do. It's incredible.

I feel sad that for the last couple of years, the only challenge I thought was rewarding was getting the cork out of the bottle with a broken corkscrew...sigh
Great post, very true.

It truly is amazing how clear the mind is when off the booze.
Old 05-13-2011, 11:10 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Just supporting you because I want to follow your footsteps in being strong!
Old 05-14-2011, 12:12 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Froglet,,,Welcome.....

I hope you will find your way ....recovery really rocks..