Notices

Going back to college and disclosing alcoholism

Old 05-04-2011, 12:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I am considering re-entering college after a prolonged absence due to alcoholism. I think it's inevitable that I will be asked to explain my absence. Are there any pros or cons to informing the admissions office that I had an alcohol problem but I am now sober. Thanks
Old 05-04-2011, 12:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

Hi Hanker-

I can't speak on this matter specifically, but I can relate b/c my alcoholism affected my employment many times. I've been lucky to have remained employed throughout my entire life (no signifigant lapses), but...

I was fired from a career job where I had 11 years seniority. I told them I was struggling and that I thought I was an alcoholic and they gave me many chances, but I was eventually fired.

Now, in my new job, I've disclosed everything to them and b/c of probation requirements, I've had to take a lot of time off work and they support me 100%.

What's the difference? I'm sober now and the first time around, with the job I was fired from, I wasn't.

My point is your actions matter way more than your words.

Kjell~
Old 05-04-2011, 01:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

I think it's unlikely that they ask that you explain an absence from school unless they recognize something in your record that would make you a risk. I went to college 12 years after I graduated high school. Nobody asked me why I waited 12 years.

If they ask, say personal matters. Some things aren't anybody's business. And in this matter, your recovery is none of theirs. Good luck.
Old 05-04-2011, 01:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sobriety date April 19th 2011

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
I think it's unlikely that they ask that you explain an absence from school unless they recognize something in your record that would make you a risk. I went to college 12 years after I graduated high school. Nobody asked me why I waited 12 years.
this

Also , I think you might be surprised how people take finding that out. Provided they find out AFTER you are in recovery and working on it. I doubt there is a person alive that doesn't have a family member or friend or loved one that hasn't had a problem with alcohol at one time or another. I've been shocked at the response I've gotten of people being proud of me and glad I took the step... even though none of them had any idea how bad it had gotten.
Old 05-04-2011, 01:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hanker,

In all honesty I highly doubt that the admissions office cares about your personal problems. All they care about is the money you will be paying to re-enroll and that they make sure that you will be able to pay your tuition.

Your previous grades and stuff probably matter, but if I were you I would not say anything regarding personal struggles and/or problems like an alcohol problem/rehab.

If asked just say you previously dropped out because you didn't feel that college was right for you at the time or you were unsure about what to major in or something along those lines, ya know.

In general, I would never disclose any personal information unless someone absolutely had to know about your background and/or problems. It will be all good as long as you are paying your tuition man.

Good luck!
Old 05-04-2011, 02:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

My general advice here is usually don't tell anyone you don't have to, or specifically want to. My doctor's advice is always "tell no one!!".

Essentially you weren't doing anything illegal by being an alcoholic (You may have done illegal things while drunk, but that is different) and while it is a recognised medical condition that doesn't mean people won't hold it against you.

As an aside, this is classic projection. You are anticipating what you will be asking. That sounds benign and practical. The reality is you are populating the shadows with scary faces and you are worried about it.

Finally, while it would be easy to pin the problems previously on alcoholism, you could probably use other justifications for stopping, all of which would be true. Cost could be one. You may of had no money left because you drank it all, but they don't need to know that. You may have felt you chose the wrong course/college/time. For alcoholics that's traditionally any course/college/time.

The bottom line is it isn't their business and they may not even ask.
Old 05-04-2011, 06:27 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
BHF

It's been my experience that they dont care why you have been out of school, as long as you meet their eligibility requirements. However, if this is a professional program that you have to be accepted into, i.e medicine/law etc, then they will most likely want to know about any personal/medical issues that may have occurred since you were last enrolled. I noticed that you said you were going back to college... and not necessarily finishing it up. In that case it is best to be upfront and honest with them. If you are gooing back to finsih up a degree that you had previously started, congratulations and dont offer them anything other than "it wasnt for me at the time."

I quit college due to drinking ...disguised as legal issues, after 4 unfruitful years, just barely attaining senior status. 5 years and additional legal issues later, I reenrolled at another University, transferring credits, to finish up and did. They never questioned why I may have taken the time off, so I didnt disclose it to them. Now when I applied to law school the following year, they were suprisingly much more interested in the pesky legal issues and my then-current mental state of being!
Old 05-04-2011, 06:56 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You don't need to tell them, I wouldn't. You care a lot more about the issue than they do. I think the #1 reason people don't finish college is that they run out of money. If you come back after an abscence they are going to assume you took time off to earn some $ so that you could return. I think colleges care most about you being on time with your tuition payments.
Old 05-04-2011, 07:04 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

I've just finished grad school, and they knew up front that I was alcoholic--it's a writing program, and the best writing sample I could give them dealt with addiction and recovery. But I also submitted transcripts that showed a near perfect GPA, respectable GRE scores, heavy involvement in campus organizations, and a modest publishing record. I did disclose my alcoholism as an undergrad -- after I'd proven myself and when it was relevant.

I've seen other students a short time sober spill it all, and later, when struggling, find themselves with little support. Though our society's view of alcoholism is changing, there are those who still see it as a moral failing rather than an illness. I can't imagine why the admissions office would need to know why you've taken a leave of absence; many students do these days. And professors seem to have a better view of us when we've already proven ourselves to be good students.

Good luck, and keep committed to your sobriety. Even with a full course load, I went to a lot of meetings and kept close to my sponsor and sobriety circle. You don't mention what road you've taken to sobriety--whatever it is, keep your feet firmly on it, and you'll be fine.

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Old 05-04-2011, 08:51 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I was put on academic probation for a period and had to talk with an advisor. They were much more sympathetic the time I told them I had a drinking problem and was working on it as opposed to "I dont know I screwed stuff up". Just my 2 cents
Old 05-04-2011, 09:34 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

They really didn't have to ask me, my transcript screamed it loud and clear. The profs that ask, I am honest with, the ones that don't I just let be.