Notices

What is liver pain?

Old 05-03-2011, 04:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What is liver pain?

I've read several posts where someone mentions they have liver pain. Would someone kindly explain to me what this pain is. Does it hurt to merely touch the liver, or does it ache? I have on occasion had a slight pain on my right side under my ribs. Maybe not a pain but just an awareness.

Bloodtests I've had have never shown anything amiss - but I've never had a specific liver function test. Just wonder if regular blood tests would show problems.

I don't think anything is wrong and that maybe I just pulled a muscle.

Thanks.
Genie
Old 05-03-2011, 04:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

I don't know, but if you are concerned, the best thing would be to see your doctor.
Old 05-03-2011, 04:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Make an appointment with your Dr. And to answer your question...a regular blood panel doesnt check for liver enzymes.
Old 05-03-2011, 04:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'd presume there are many different kinds of aches, and many different causes for those aches.

It is a sign to go and see your Dr. to find out what your particular problem is - at least put your mind at rest.

D
Old 05-03-2011, 05:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

And if your liver enzymes come back elevated your doctor will tell you.....

to quit drinking? ;-)

I have seen my doctor way too many times in the last couple of months and I don't want to be a pest. He's going to think I'm a hypocondriac.
Old 05-03-2011, 05:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Genie View Post

to quit drinking? ;-)

I have seen my doctor way too many times in the last couple of months and I don't want to be a pest. He's going to think I'm a hypocondriac.
I thought so too. However when I mentioned I wanted to quit drinking his ears perked up.
Old 05-03-2011, 05:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

to quit drinking? ;-)

Noone really knows what the trouble is, so noone really knows what your doctor would/will say.

Doctors are there to be consulted - pain is a sign that somethings wrong.

It's unclear to me if you are still drinking - if you are, yeah - stopping is a good advice and a good plan

D
Old 05-03-2011, 05:40 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

well seeing your doctor is kind of a moot point if you don't tell him you drink to excess isn't it?...alcoholics need to have follow up care

your doctor bills you for his time, (or your insurance company)...lying to him doesn't help him to DX you....You can't be a *pest* if you have true issues...and a LFT is the best place to start....he may order additional testing if it's warranted.

i wouldn't worry about pestering the doctor, i would just tell him the truth and stop dancing around the issue....he won't judge you, he will help you and explain what is going on with your body.

to answer your question, IDK exactly what liver pain could feel like, but i had a very swollen tender lower abdominal region and dehydration which made me feel craptastic....all of the symptoms improved about 10 days into sobriety.
Old 05-03-2011, 05:48 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Dee - I have not drank since Jan 28th. I never thought about my liver in terms of pain. I only have had a rare occasion when I felt a pull/twinge in that region. That was why I was asking what liver pain felt like.

My doctor knows I am not drinking.
Old 05-03-2011, 05:53 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fandy View Post
to answer your question, IDK exactly what liver pain could feel like, but i had a very swollen tender lower abdominal region and dehydration which made me feel craptastic....all of the symptoms improved about 10 days into sobriety.
Fandy - thanks for this. I have to poke really hard to get any type of pain response - then I think it must just be my poking. That's why I wanted to ask first. if I have a presistant problem, I will be sure to follow up.
Old 05-03-2011, 06:16 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

well then! maybe the poking is what's HURTING you??? don't start punching yourself either... (j/k)..congrats on your sobriety.

and if your doctor knows you are not drinking and formerly DID, he may have included a liver panel in with the Chem 21 and CBC...and he is not concerned.

you could ask him (or the nurse) if this was done...I think it would fall under GGTP and GGT???? (it's been a while since i did clinical work with patients, i forgot exactly).
Old 05-03-2011, 06:27 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
SR Fan

According to the medical sites: The liver itself doesn't have pain receptors, but an enlarged liver can put pressure on other organs and tissues in the area, causing discomfort......

The things is that there are lots of different structures (stomach, gall bladder, pancreas - just to name a few) that can also be irritated or damaged by alcohol. And pain in a specific area doesn't necessarily always come from that spot (it can be radiating pain).

So........ in the end, it's just a guess unless we see a doc (and it often takes them a while to figure things out too!).
Old 05-03-2011, 06:39 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Definitely see a doctor
Old 05-03-2011, 08:22 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

to quit drinking? ;-)

I've had an ultrasound of my liver and that shows how good or bad your liver is so just ask your doctor for one...... When I had a nervous breakdown a couple of years ago I was at my doctor's every second day......there getting paid and really just want to put your worries to rest, it's there job to do the worrying for you and put those thoughts to rest.

But that's just me
Old 05-04-2011, 07:53 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I am taking 2 Pegs in a week. can anybody please tell me ho much ill effect in my lever ?????
Old 05-04-2011, 09:29 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

No one here can tell you that sanjug.
Please go see your Dr - they'll take tests etc - then you'll know.

D