Notices

Is having Just One Drink Being a Failure?

Old 04-28-2011, 09:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Is having Just One Drink Being a Failure?

Just wondering. I've been doing really good at staying sober this week, and i made the mistake of giving in and having a wine cooler. i know, a moment of weekness. stupid. If I had one drink. Is it too late to just stop at one drink. or since i had one drink, did i completely ruin my being sober., and should i just give up and drink and get drunk, or is it still better if i just stop at the one? just having the one, i still feel like a failure, even if its just one. i dunno. what do you think.
Old 04-28-2011, 09:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Don't do it pink. Don't. Pour them down the drain. Now.
Old 04-28-2011, 09:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I want to keep going at being sober and be good and not give up. but i feel guilty for having the one drink. and i feel like every one would be dissapointed in me for having the drink. if i choose not to have any more to drink tonight would that be good, or since i chose to pick up that once drink did i totally ruin my sobriety and should i just get drunk now and to heck with it?
Old 04-28-2011, 09:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Pink
I think, deep down, you know the answers to all these questions you post.

If you want to be sober then be sober - sober people don't drink wine coolers.

If you want to get back on the right road and continue to improve your life...then obviously stopping now is better than not stopping...sober people don't drink multiple wine coolers.

You really need to decide what you want to do - being half hearted never worked for me.

The only way I got better was to remove the poison entirely from my life and not drink - at all.

The only way I was able to stay sober was find support and use it - especially when I was in trouble.

There's no short cuts, Pink.

D
Old 04-28-2011, 09:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

(((((Pink)))))) For me, one drink just didn't do it. Is that one drink worth sliding back into drunkeness? I don't think so.

I was hoping you had gone into treatment. Are you still considering it?

Love,

Lenina
Old 04-28-2011, 09:59 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

As long as your alive, Its never too late to start over in recovery. Don't let it get to be too late....please. You can recover.
Old 04-28-2011, 10:58 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

yea. thanks every one.
Old 04-29-2011, 04:02 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

one drink is not great, but stopping now will stop your guilt.

you're a smart woman Pink, but it sounds like you are looking for verification to get drunk because you had one 3% wine cooler....there is an underlying reason why you put yourself in this position...like cracking the door to check how close the tornado is.

since you are newly sobering up, why don't you examine your feelings and talk about it since you now have some professional support....discuss the wine cooler with your husband, why did you even have one in your grasp??? that's tougher than stopping sometimes.

One isn't enough....you really want to drink a whole case (if you are anything like me)....if you are drinking wine coolers, you might just be craving sugar too.

asking if because you had one should you just"get drunk" sounds like you want a reward for staying one week sober.

I hoped you stopped at one and decided it wasn't worth it....sometimes when i start to beel better, i forget the underlying problem
Old 04-29-2011, 04:48 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

If you can have 1 or 2 and stop then good for you. I dont think youc an though (hence why you post on here) I had a very stressful day yesterday. Horrific. Being an alcoholic my brain naturally thought "just one beer to calm down" I played the tape to the end though. I saw myself sick, depressed, calling into work, embarrassing phone calls, disappointing my family and not getting things done. Its a waste of a life. God has a purpose for you. A master plan. You will never see it if your drunk. Best of luck. Im glad you checked in.
Old 04-29-2011, 05:45 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

It doesn't make you a failure but it does confirm that you're an alcoholic (as if there was any doubt). You're in good company here. Most of us have been where you are.
Old 04-29-2011, 05:54 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Pink, you already know the answer and what the responses will be. If your goal is to REDUCE your drinking why not try Moderation Management? You know that SR is about complete abstinence.
Old 04-29-2011, 06:11 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi Pink
It is never to late to stop drinking. I was sober 3 months and picked up a drink. It turned out to be a 6 pack. What it did for was made me realize that I did not want to drink again. I had joined AA and it had ruined my drinking. I now knew there was a better way. To continue on the slippery slope I was on was disastrous. I have not had a drink since that time. But, yes, you can stop now and find a recovery plan that works for you.
Pinetree
Old 04-29-2011, 06:51 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Pink just how serious are you about wanting to recover?If you are serious then take action!! go to AA,go to treatement,go somewhere and get help. What you are doing,posting one post then dissapearing is not working!Im glad you managed a week sober,but I can tell you from experience that having even one drink is enough to start the whole ball rolling again.If you have been fortunate enough to stop at one wine cooler then dump the rest out. If not,then please go get some help.
Old 04-29-2011, 07:08 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

For me, one drink is never enough. If I were to have one drink right now, I would be opening the flood gates to my addiction and there would not be enough alcohol in this town. I would be the drunkest person you have ever seen. For an alcoholic, one is too many and 100 is never enough.

However, because you did have one that certainly doesn't give you an excuse to get drunk. But I think you already know that. I want you to ask yourself something. "Did you enjoy that drink"? Or did you sit there while drinking it feeling depressed, mad, upset, powerless, and like a failure? If the answer is yes to feeling like that, then why would you do it? Why would a person do something to ourselves that makes us feel like garbage? Simple. We are alcoholics. And alcoholics need help to live a sober life.
Old 04-29-2011, 08:31 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bdiddy5522 View Post
For an alcoholic, one is too many and 100 is never enough.
Thanks for this.
Old 04-29-2011, 08:38 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

You REALLY are gonna ask this question?
Old 04-29-2011, 09:09 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Honesty is a HUGE part of being sober. Being
honest in ALL my affairs. To be trusting and
truthful to myself and others. To not have any
secrets.

That was a lesson I learned last of many lessons
but the most rewarding of them all because becoming
honest in all my affairs , in all I do or say has unlocked
the door to a FREEDOM ive never known before.

The golden key that released me from bondage of
self. Bondage of addiction. Poison. Alcohol that was
destroying my insides, my soul, and mind.

Being true to yourself and decisions you make will
aid you in aquiring a more solid foundation in recovery
in the long run.

Keeping It Real.
Old 04-29-2011, 11:38 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
High on Life

The madness will continue as long as you allow it...........
Old 04-29-2011, 11:51 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MsCooterBrown View Post

Thinking of you Shantra.

I mistakenly posted in the wrong place.....I reposted in a new thread. Thanks....
Old 04-29-2011, 01:42 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

If you are an alcoholic, 1 drink is too many.