Notices

Became an addict because?

Old 04-22-2011, 05:23 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I became an addict because:

1. I self-medicated from the stress and noise of work.

2. I self-medicated from the stress and noise at home.

3. It felt good.

4. it became habit.

No blaming parents, no spiritual gaps, no life deficiencies. Game, set, match.

8 days down.
Old 04-22-2011, 07:25 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Encourager In Training

I used to recoil from anything remotely resembling "blame the parents". Nowadays, I view this sorta thing from the standpoint that the child development psychologists are probably right. In the vast majority of cases, a young adult can't help but see the world and cope with its stressors in ways influenced if not modeled by the adult(s) who raised him/her. If a parent doesn't teach a child healthy coping skills, then the door is left open for an unhealthy coping mechanism to take root prior to the child developing healthy skills on his or her own. It should be stressed that this doesn't necessarily make the parent bad.
Old 04-24-2011, 05:31 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
...is awesome!

O my wow, cant thank you enough for all the responses! Just goes to show how talking to other addicts can resolve something that feels so huge in your head to so simple and easy after a chat. I admit I over analyse things alot, I want an answer and when I cant figure it out, the simple answer that was right there becomes a big ball of wtf!

I really appreciate all your insight into this topic, its calmed my head down alot. I really though am surprised noone commented on my 'i know i sound mental' line haha. I want to comment on so much that has been said here, but I want to thank every one of you that everything I have gotten out of it is positive and the genuine care from you all is amazing

I think i definitely have been discounting all the crap that in the end did start to make me a lil loopy. And I agree that it did in the end I have developed alot of problems in my life that i thought people just assumed i had before i started drinking. Maybe they were there all along but drinking opened them right up...or smothered them down even further into myself!

Thanks for understanding that genes do play a role, i certainly dont blame the long line of them for my troubles like the migraines that run in my family that i had today...easter sunday! I used to always say 'i will never be like that, i will never LET myself become that way' haha yeah right.

I am also started reading a book since i wrote this thread, and it talked about genes and how yes there is a good chance my kids have inherited this gene but I can certainly stop (well at try to minimalise) the risk of them developing this disease. My recovery will give them this chance.
Old 04-24-2011, 05:40 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
...is awesome!

meant to be a quote