Notices

What do I do?

Old 03-31-2011, 01:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What do I do?

I had a mom who was an alcoholic, she died of it. I told my ten year old cousin about it..

she called me last night and said 'my mom drinks every night. shes getting meaner and meaner just like your mom, what do i do'. . what do you say to that?
Old 03-31-2011, 01:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
ste
unlearning

I am at a loss, as to advice. I have not had your experience, or your cousin's. In retrospect, what could you, or would you, or wish you might have done when you were ten, assuming your mother was alive then?
Sorry, its so hard....
Maybe you could mention to your cousin's mother, some heartfelt concerns about her health.
Old 03-31-2011, 02:15 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Strive to be alive!

Maybe you could tell her to see if Alanon will help. They teach family and friends how to deal with the alcoholic in their life. If you live close to her you could attend meetings with her. It just may be the avenue of enlightenment you both need. Prayers out to you and your cousin tigerlover.
Old 03-31-2011, 05:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Alateen has meetings for kids her age. Call Al-Anon and see if there are any in your area.

Apart from that, you can listen to her fears, and maybe suggest she talk to a counselor at school about it. If she's scared to make an appointment with the school counselor, maybe you could help her set one up.

Living with active alcoholism is VERY hard on kids.
Old 03-31-2011, 05:37 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
One moment at a time.

Originally Posted by LexieCat View Post
Alateen has meetings for kids her age. Call Al-Anon and see if there are any in your area.

Apart from that, you can listen to her fears, and maybe suggest she talk to a counselor at school about it. If she's scared to make an appointment with the school counselor, maybe you could help her set one up.

Living with active alcoholism is VERY hard on kids.
I'm with LexieCat on this one. Alateen and counseling is probably your best bet so that your cousin can learn to deal with it and work it out. Going to the mother straight up is always an option but not the first choice that I would take, but that's just me talking.

I hope the best for you and especially for your cousin.
Old 03-31-2011, 06:19 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
skg

AlaTeen IS for kids. If you want to help, get some pamphlets and speaker CDs and go with her to some meetings. Help her understand that it isn't her fault; Help her develop a network of people to whom she can share her fears; Help her understand that her mother is a sick person, not a bad person; Help her understand that SHE IS NOT ALONE.

Education about the disease of alcoholism is the first step toward freedom.