Notices

Who knew you were drinking???

Old 12-03-2012, 04:56 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Oh my goodness! I bet everyone knows when I had been drinking: husband, mom & dad, coworkers and friends. Gosh, I thought I was totally fooling everyone when I was drinking AT WORK and just popped a few strong mints and thought I was in the clear. No wonder hardly anyone at work talks to me anymore.
I don't know if anyone else is scared of this, but I'm "future tripping" about when someone might come up to me and say "wow, you're acting different!" (in a good way) and I may have to explain why. I don't want to lie but I don't want to divulge the truth. Interesting how we can overanalyze things.
Old 12-03-2012, 05:35 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

This thread is almst 2 years old, but still a good topic. Iwonder where the ones that orignially posted are, hope allis well for them
Old 12-03-2012, 05:44 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

All my AH has to do is open his mouth n I can tell he's been drinking by the way he talks. And the more he talks the more I see. His eyes are also a tall tale sign. His breath... ghesh! Who is he fooling when he says, you can't smell vodka on me!!! Okaaaaaaay....
Old 12-03-2012, 09:36 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  
~sb

The real question is "Was there anyone who didn't think I was drinking?" I doubt it!

We're usually the last to know this!
Old 12-03-2012, 10:37 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Trudger of Happy Destiny

I thought I was good at hiding my use, but like everyone else I was only kidding myself. He smell was be first thing that gave it away...but thinking about it, I was told my whole personality changed when I became intoxicated. What infuriated me even more were the constant questions of I was on something or not. That generally was the first giveaway that they knew...seems like I was asked that question multiple times daily, lol. It then became a standoff of "I know you are drunk (or messed up)" with me replying "No I am not !!!" all defensively and most likely in slurred speech.

I was also told that when I was on something the octave of my voice would change, too. Something I never really noticed but was a dead giveaway to others. Lol how silly we were to think we were so good!
Old 12-03-2012, 10:41 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

The most important person knew, I knew...even if I stayed alone and drank...I was sick and miserable
Old 12-03-2012, 10:48 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Anybody who read the local newspaper. Everyone who worked at a bar or liquor store, my employers, friends and family (in retrospect most people began hiding the booze when they saw me coming BEFORE I stopped)

Really seems like I was the last guy on the block to figure out I had a problem.

I laugh to myself every time I think about the voice in my head that used to tell me "just have one or two, who's going to know?" When I'm drinking EVERYBODY knows.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:05 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  
...not falling down them

My neighbors seeing me carry beer in all the time. I live in a half double on a city block.
Then I'd set garbage bags full of beer cans out for the little old guy whose pocket change comes from collecting aluminum and metal and taking it to the scrap yard. Once I even put a bag on his porch because company was coming.

Also my family here and at various places around the US. Since I was drunk dialing them.

The guys at the beer store. I actually showed up there wearing these beach pants and a hoody one time near the end. Good gawd.

And, pretty much anyone who came within smelling distance. The mints and "dancing waters" body spray didn't really cut it.
Old 12-03-2012, 05:51 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

I fooled a lot of people including my wife for many years.

I also fooled myself for many years.

However, I didn't fool my body and it was keeping score. The physical consequences caught up with me.

The good news is that the physical issues are gone (except for the normal aging that occurs after you've been on the planet for more than 5 decades) and I haven't been in better shape since my 20's.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:02 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

The past 4 years there was probably not one person who did not know. I should have taken the hints years ago when my nickname among my friends was "lush".

Then there were all the drunk dials to friends and family.

Then there were the weekend benders where I would remain drunk from 7:00PM Friday through lunch at work on Monday. Yeah had plenty of days I was showing up for work still drunk from the weekend before or night before. You know the days that no matter how much you brush, gargle, chug water and suck on mints your mouth is still disgusting.

Look forward to leaving that all behind!
Old 12-04-2012, 07:17 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

I think of vodka like mayonaise. Mayonaise is safe sitting on the counter for a while but as soon as you mix it with other food it has the potential to spoil quickly. I believe vodka doesn't have a strong alcohol smell until someone ingests it. Then it's the same as mayo. Bad potato salad