Notices

Tapering alcohol?

Old 12-01-2012, 11:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Tapering alcohol?

I want to quit drinking but I am afraid I am going to get withdrawals. At what rate do you think that it is safe to taper? I am drinking half a bottle of vodka per night. Should I cut that in half or go slower? I quit before and didnt even get the withdrawals but Ive been reading about DT's and Im scared to stop now.
Old 12-01-2012, 11:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'd talk to your Dr. They can help you with the nightmare of detox.

Me? If I tapered, I'd still be drinking. That's how my alkie mind works.

Zube
Old 12-01-2012, 11:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Fellow Traveler and Seeker

I'm glad you've made the decision to stop drinking.

Withdrawal is certainly something to be concerned about. For some, it can just be a bit of the shakes, a headache and loss of sleep. For others, it can be life-threatening seizures, etc. Not to startle you or anything. But you've done some reading up on it, so you know what to expect.

I would suggest either going to a detox or going to see your doctor (or walk-in clinic). Be completely honest about your drinking - how much, how often, etc. They will be able to help you make the best decision in regards to removing the alcohol from your system and minimizing any withdrawal symptoms.

Get checked out...and good luck
Old 12-01-2012, 11:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Ok so Ill see a docter. How much do you have to be drinking to go into a delerium? Since ive been reading about DT's ive been drinking MORE. I dont drink less some nights like I used too because I am paranoid that im going to go into a withdrawal.
Old 12-01-2012, 11:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Iopu View Post
Ok so Ill see a docter. How much do you have to be drinking to go into a delerium? Since ive been reading about DT's ive been drinking MORE. I dont drink less some nights like I used too because I am paranoid that im going to go into a withdrawal.
DT's are different for everybody, if you even get them. 1/2 bottle of vodka a night could maybe do it. I was +/- 20 beers a night and I got all the miserable stuff except DT's - insomnia, leg cramps, stomach cramps, headache, sweats, shaking, etc...but I didn't DT. I saw my Dr. on day 2 after I was ready to throw myself out a window to make the detox go away...he sent me home with a script of Librium which saved my life. Be ready for first a detox, THEN a withdrawl. AA helps huge with the withdrawl.

Good luck to you,
Zube
Old 12-01-2012, 11:52 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

My uncle was a hardcore drinker. Drinking about a gallon of vodka per day. He went through a bad detox that lasted months!
Old 12-01-2012, 12:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

My uncle was a hardcore drinker. Drinking about a gallon of vodka per day. He went through a bad detox that lasted months!
The danger zone is usually day 3-4. This is when full blown DT's set in, that can be deadly if not treated. But, yes, could continue with a harsh w/drawl for months, sometimes weeks, sometimes more. It's unpredictable. The only thing predictable about it is, say, you uncle...if he went back to drinking he would probably pick right back up at a gallon a night, and most definitely would have another horrible detox.

Still, best to be supervised by a doc.
Zube
Old 12-01-2012, 12:03 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Luckily he stopped when he was young about 20 years ago and hasnt relapsed.
Old 12-01-2012, 01:13 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Trudger of Happy Destiny

You can do this. As others have suggested, talk to your Dr. about it. They are very familiar with this type of scenario and will know what to do. This is NOT somethin to play around with, that's for sure.
Old 12-01-2012, 01:31 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Iopu

Glad you're going to see a Dr
Welcome to SR

D
Old 12-01-2012, 04:21 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

i tried that, i tried to tapper off my alcohol,, i just wanted more and more. i did not help me.
Old 12-01-2012, 04:36 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I tried reducing the amount I drank, in a bid to get it under control.

Didn't work.

When I drank less for a few days, I would 'reward' myself with more the next day.

If you are at the stage where you know you have a problem, then honestly, I don't think tapering is going to help.

And, this might not be a very popular thing to say, and I do realise that seizures during withdrawals do happen, but I think you are just going to have to man (or woman) it out. Quitting is not easy. That is why millions of people never do it.

Those who do though, are the hardest of the hard.
Old 12-01-2012, 05:43 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Zombieattack, the hardest of the hard... I love it. It's so true. Made me feel like a Spartan there ;-)
Old 12-01-2012, 05:45 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

See your doctor I was drinking a similar amount. I was able to tapper off to nothing but it required networks of help and complete honesty. I am on day 26 of my sobriety!
Old 12-01-2012, 06:08 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

While we are all different, and it may work for some people, I honestly don't think tapering is the way.

It has the same goal as just quitting, takes longer, and for (dare I say) most people, just ends up with them drinking as before.

White knuckle ride it dude.

(Those who have managed to quit through tapering, I am not discounting what you have done; if anything that is more impressive than just quitting as it is pretty much bound to fail!)
Old 12-01-2012, 06:14 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I tapered and it worked for me. However, looking back it would have been easier and safer to go to a doctor and get some outpatient advice and medication. So while I can say that tapering can work (for me, at least), I wouldn't recommend it as a first option.
Old 12-01-2012, 06:45 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I want to quit drinking but I am afraid I am going to get withdrawals. At what rate do you think that it is safe to taper? I am drinking half a bottle of vodka per night. Should I cut that in half or go slower? I quit before and didnt even get the withdrawals but Ive been reading about DT's and Im scared to stop now.
IMO---None of us can answer that question and most of us would say it "cold Turkey".

Your doctor is the only one who can work with you on your physical reaction to detoxing. You may not even have a problem with DT's I know I drank like a fish and never experienced DT's.
Old 12-01-2012, 06:54 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I would suggest you go to your nearest hospital or detox center to do a safe detox. You can die from an alcohol or a benzo detox if done without medical support.
Old 12-01-2012, 11:05 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Those who do though, are the hardest of the hard.
Haha awesome!

How big of a bottle? For the past 2 almost 3 years I would down half of a 750ml bottle a night. Your symptoms will differ based on many factors, but I quit cold turkey and did not notice any serious problems. I paid special attention to my hands, making sure they did not shake. They never did. The biggest thing I noticed was the mental fog, it hit me like a ton of bricks. Sugar, vitamins and eating well helped battle the fog for me. If you do make the decision to quit cold turkey I would plan to be around people and let somebody know what might happen so they know what to do. The other option is to go talk to your doctor, it’s certainly going to be cheaper and less dramatic than an ER visit if the worst happens.
Old 12-01-2012, 11:46 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

Everyone please remember our medical advice rule.

Here is the SR Rule in full....

10. Medical Advice: No Posts giving medical advice, medication advice, or psychiatric advice. Do not use the forum to give or ask for professional medical or psychiatric advice. If you are a medical professional, please remember the forums and chat are for peer support only and not to be used for distributing professional medical advice and/or using the forum to represent your professional services. Medical and Psychiatric advice includes giving a diagnosis, treatment plan, medication advice and dosage suggestions, over the counter and natural home remedies that should be approved by medical professionals. Detox can be dangerous and life threatening at times. Please consult with your physician.
I understand that all who shared are well meaning and trying to help - however what happened to you and how you overcame it may not be suitable for others, and may well keep someone else from seeking the professional assistance they need.

Some posts have been removed.
Thanks for your understanding.

to the OP - like I said before I recommend you see a medical professional, as a matter of course.

I did not - I had a very traumatic last detox. I don't wish that on anyone.

Dee
SR

Last edited by Dee74; 12-02-2012 at 12:06 AM.