Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

For the bran new to recovery. Save yourself some time. Read

Notices

Old 03-29-2011, 10:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The idea that somehow, someday he will control and enjoy his drinking is the great obsession of every abnormal drinker. The persistence of this illusion is astonishing. Many pursue it into the gates of insanity or death.
The Big Book

(I only wish I would have read this 2 years ago when I first started trying to deal with my drinking problem.)
Old 03-29-2011, 10:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I love it!!! So true. Thank you for sharing.
Old 03-29-2011, 10:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

Oh, so true!

I'm so struck now by how normal drinkers don't obsess at all. Leaving half empty drinks. Having 'just a coke to start'. I still don't understand it
Old 03-29-2011, 11:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I've been struggling with this one as well...I really HATE accepting it...really really really...sometimes I CAN put the bottle down...but 90% of the time I drink til I pass out. I've been trying and trying the past couple years...hurting my engagement by repeatedly relapsing, sometimes lying when I'm super wasted....

I truly am powerless and my life is a mess. I am my own worst enemy daily...its awful.
Old 03-29-2011, 11:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Originally Posted by Genjen View Post
I am my own worst enemy daily...its awful.
Actually....when I read that..... the thing that hit me wasn't "it's awful" but rather, "how awesome!"

I'll tell ya why. IF all the problems in your life were the fault of everyone BUT you.....then you need everyone in your life to change, and change precisely the way you want them to, and to do so possibly to the detriment of themselves and others. --Good luck pulling THAT ONE off, yanno?

If, on the other hand, YOU are the source of all your problems, then only you have to change.

Now don't get me wrong, you don't have to like it but seriously......given a choice: trying to make everyone in your life change vs just you changing - where are the best odds?

---and I hear ya IRTQ. I'll say this though, "willingness" really is a gift. Willingness to listen, willingness to consider alternative ideas, willingness to consider changing, willingness to incorporate change into our lives, etc etc etc.....

Sure, pain can be a great motivator but let's be honest...... we, as a group, can take some serious pain yet remain in delusion. What made "recovery" suddenly make sense and be something I was willing to consider and work for? - I used to say that the pain just got to the point where I wasn't willing to take it anymore.... but my experience shows that I'd been in similar or worse pain dozens of times in my past and did nothing about it. Why was this time different? .... hmmmm, well let's just say I don't make the mistake of taking credit for making the decision all by myself anymore. I believe there was more "God's grace" influencing my getting sober than there was me making the decision to.

Old 03-29-2011, 11:34 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DayTrader View Post
Actually....when I read that..... the thing that hit me wasn't "it's awful" but rather, "how awesome!"

I'll tell ya why. IF all the problems in your life were the fault of everyone BUT you.....then you need everyone in your life to change, and change precisely the way you want them to, and to do so possibly to the detriment of themselves and others. --Good luck pulling THAT ONE off, yanno?

If, on the other hand, YOU are the source of all your problems, then only you have to change.

Now don't get me wrong, you don't have to like it but seriously......given a choice: trying to make everyone in your life change vs just you changing - where are the best odds?

---and I hear ya IRTQ. I'll say this though, "willingness" really is a gift. Willingness to listen, willingness to consider alternative ideas, willingness to consider changing, willingness to incorporate change into our lives, etc etc etc.....

Sure, pain can be a great motivator but let's be honest...... we, as a group, can take some serious pain yet remain in delusion. What made "recovery" suddenly make sense and be something I was willing to consider and work for? - I used to say that the pain just got to the point where I wasn't willing to take it anymore.... but my experience shows that I'd been in similar or worse pain dozens of times in my past and did nothing about it. Why was this time different? .... hmmmm, well let's just say I don't make the mistake of taking credit for making the decision all by myself anymore. I believe there was more "God's grace" influencing my getting sober than there was me making the decision to.

:ghug3

You know EXACTLY where I am at my friend....God's grace is definitely why I am here...my fiance is so frustrated with me right now because I can't seem to just QUIT so we can get married...I keep screwing things up over and over and over by drinking...however my sister sees huge leaps and bounds in my personality...I have been searching pursuing God and more healthy things...just gotta get rid of this lie in my head i keep believing..."Oh go ahead have a drink, just limit yourself, it's ok to veg"...UGH!!!!!
Old 03-29-2011, 11:36 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

Originally Posted by Genjen View Post
I've been struggling with this one as well...I really HATE accepting it...really really really...sometimes I CAN put the bottle down...but 90% of the time I drink til I pass out. I've been trying and trying the past couple years...hurting my engagement by repeatedly relapsing, sometimes lying when I'm super wasted....

I truly am powerless and my life is a mess. I am my own worst enemy daily...its awful.
I actually could often put it down. It was rare (couple of times a year?) for me to black out or really lose it. I would often drink 2 bottles of wine but over say 6 hours so I wouldn't black out or anything.

Anyway though for me the inability to control it refers more to the inability to stop obsessing about it! Stop wanting it. End the day with a soda instead of a drink. I drank every.single.day.

It's that madness that I finally feel free of. And I hope you do soon, too.
Old 03-29-2011, 11:39 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SSIL75 View Post
I actually could often put it down. It was rare (couple of times a year?) for me to black out or really lose it. I would often drink 2 bottles of wine but over say 6 hours so I wouldn't black out or anything.

Anyway though for me the inability to control it refers more to the inability to stop obsessing about it! Stop wanting it. End the day with a soda instead of a drink. I drank every.single.day.

It's that madness that I finally feel free of. And I hope you do soon, too.
I'm really sick of the obsessing too...wish I obsessed over exercising or organizing instead...kwim? lol
Old 03-29-2011, 12:12 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I agree with you,and support you. Sounds good to me
Old 03-29-2011, 06:05 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

It's truly a great quote. Right now I'm just trying to find a way to enjoy sobriety which is new to me.
Old 03-29-2011, 10:40 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Great quote...so true!