Notices

And I didn't drink

Old 03-29-2011, 06:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

And I didn't drink

Hi all, I thought it might be of interest and possibly inspirational to some too talk about the things we've over come in sobriety with out drinking. It can be anything from "that sob left the seat up again" too a death in the family. And maybe a little note on how we did it.

Here's mine. My oldest daughter (32) was rushed to the hospital with what turned out to be a blood clot on the brain. She's just fine now other then a shaved head. Since I'm bald she's taking a lot of grief about looking like me The terror I felt when I found out and even sitting in the waiting room with the ex, her mother and two sisters didn't trigger me. When I got home Knowing she was going to be all right I feel apart....I wanted to drink ! I wanted to lay on the floor and tip up a bottle !! Just telling my wife exactly how I felt and how strongly I felt it eased the compulsion immensely. Then a quick call to an AA buddy had me laughing and feeling better yet.

That's my storey, whats yours ?

Ron
Old 03-29-2011, 07:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Glad your daughter and you are both continueing to heal...

A recent go round with lung cancer gave me a deep appresiation
of how God grants me serenity regardless of situations.

Yes I was apprehensive and the news turned out great for me
but It never occured to me to drink over my cancer.

The Serenity Prayer is useful in my life...
Old 03-29-2011, 07:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm glad everything turned out OK Ron. You showed enormous strength and I commend you for that.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Strive to be alive!

Hi Ron good thread - Mine is more like a I'm not drinking...

I am a survivor of childhood sexual abuse and in the midst of The Courage To Heal with my counselor. I have a workbook that I'm going through to teach me what to do and how to deal with what has happened in my life. Some of, most of, it is extremely painful memories and memories that are so vivid and so painful I'd be lying if I didn't admit several times I've thought I could kill a Absolute and Cranberry!

However, through the support of my women's AA HG, my recent success with Step 4, other meetings I attend, the support of my sponsor, my counselor, my family (all of them, AA, SR, RB, immediate, extended), etc. etc., today in spite of the alcoholism and abuse I like who I see in the mirror now and know I could not be where I am today without my life lines and my HP!

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Old 03-29-2011, 02:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
April 18, 2010

I've gotten through things this year I would have never imagined I could do without drinking . . . on the low end, the death of a beloved relative, and on the high end, two major achievements that are things I had always (for years) imagined celebrating with expensive champagne. Knowing I could get through those things sober is a huge comfort when I feel overwhelmed . . . thanks for the good thread.
Old 03-29-2011, 07:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Ron..that was quite a scare you had there. I am glad you have such good supportive people around you! I am so happy your daughter is ok. I am at the beginning of my sixth month of sobriety. So far..(knock on wood) I haven't had anything turbulent that made me struggle. BUT what you went thru...that is the prime idea of a nightmare I would NOT like to experience. I guess I will never understand what makes people drink. I know of a few that start after a twenty plus year sobriety. In that time frame..certainly they have experienced stressful life altering situations..so what does it take to decide to take a drink or 20 after all that time..scary addiction we are dealing with.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Wonderful idea for a thread!!!

As a single mom and artist, the economy has taken a huge toll on my income in the last couple years. When I got sober I found myself faced with the possibility of losing my house and not being able to support my children (one was in college and another about to go to college). It was a scary time, though I finally managed to address the problem sober by making phone calls, borrowing, refinancing and working twice as hard to find new avenues for my work. I scraped by even though I now have significant credit card debt. Things are slowly picking up, I'm pleased to say.

That's just one "bump in the road" I've gotten through sober. How did I do it? I just remember that there are two paths with two totally opposite outcomes. At least with the sober path, I have a chance at life. I'm so grateful that SR has been there for me all the way........
Old 03-30-2011, 04:35 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Great thread nosey Ron!

I havent had anything major happen. Daily life is enough for me! 3 teenage sons, husband working out of town, boss that hates me and 2 dogs that think I am THEIR pet.

My oldest son joined the Air Force...I wanted to drink but didnt
My husband is on my case about money...I wanted to drink but didnt
I cant do anything right in my boss's eyes...I wanted to drink but didnt
My sister still isnt talking to me...I wanted to drink but didnt

im thankful for AA and this forum for giving me the tools to get through daily bumps in the road without drinking it away!
Old 03-30-2011, 12:18 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

nothing really spectacular... but it is nice just dealing with life in general I suppose without alcohol masking my emotions. I mean, right now is the first time in a long time that I have been exposed to my true emotions, it feels strange at times as i think I had totally forgotten what it really is like to 'feel' good or bad emotions.

At the same time, it is extremely nice, almost a thought of 'hmmm so this is what things are supposed to feel like'. Its pretty awesome .
Old 03-30-2011, 12:38 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

nice thread.... I agree

my mother is in a nursing home and has advancing alzhiemers and a 10cm tumor in her breast that we can do nothing about....it is a very slow, painful way to go and she is so constantly confused about her surroundings...I am helpless to make things "better" and my visiting is difficult (for me to watch her unable to grasp DLS now).

the only thing I drink these days are coffee, herbal tea and water.
Old 03-30-2011, 02:29 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks guys !! These are all wonderful posts, just what I was hoping for. Pattenat, Your story is both inspiring and humbling. Don't lose that courage !! I think your on your way to becoming a very special person in a lot of peoples lives.

Thanks again,

Ron
Old 03-30-2011, 05:53 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I deal with assholes at work. Sometimes I want to sock them in the jaw, but never drink.