Notices

Police When Driving

Old 03-28-2011, 11:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Police When Driving

Does anyone else FREAK OUT when the see that a police car is directly behind them (on the side of the road, wherever), then realize they are dead sober in their car and there is nothing to worry about. Worst infraction would be a speeding ticket?
Old 03-28-2011, 11:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

It's an automatic reaction to freak out, at least it is for me. But I'm not worried cause I'm not doing anything wrong, not even speeding.
Old 03-28-2011, 11:07 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

During the first month or so I was always freaked out by any police car. I drive about 25K miles per year, so I am overly cautious anyways, but it was a good feeling to know I didn't need to hide my drink. Now if I could only put my ear piece in so I don't get a cell phone ticket!
Old 03-28-2011, 11:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Ha! You bet....once, my conditioning kicked in, and I handed off my cup of coffee to my friend in the passenger seat...."S***, hold this!"
Old 03-28-2011, 11:44 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Absolutely without a doubt a big "yes" everytime....I didnt even drink and drive before I gave up alcohol but it still scares me rigid!
Old 03-28-2011, 12:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
DOS: 11/6/10

Assuming my tags and registration are in order, and I wasn't speeding, I guess I'm the only one who hopes they get pulled over, LOL... "why, NO, officer, not a THING..."
Old 03-28-2011, 12:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

When I first got sober yeah. Now I laugh!
Old 03-28-2011, 01:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

No ....not now and the Highway Patrol has arrested me 3 times. Pretty much anything you get stopped for sober will pale in comparison to a DUI.
Old 03-28-2011, 01:07 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Stang View Post
No ....not now and the Highway Patrol has arrested me 3 times. Pretty much anything you get stopped for sober will pale in comparison to a DUI.
Thank God I didn't ever get a DUI, or worse yet kill or injure someone. I agree though, getting pulled over drunk is far far far worse than getting pulled over for pretty much anything else sober.
Old 03-28-2011, 01:16 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sunrise1 View Post
Assuming my tags and registration are in order, and I wasn't speeding, I guess I'm the only one who hopes they get pulled over, LOL... "why, NO, officer, not a THING..."
When I find myself in the car after midnight, I've hoped for a dui check...
Old 03-28-2011, 01:22 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hope I never get pulled over...they would think I was crazy as I would be having a major panic attack!
Old 03-28-2011, 03:25 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

YES. I still freak out when they're behind me, I freak out if one pulls up beside me, I have this instant reaction to NOT park by them in front of a convenience store, I stop in my tracks when I see one inside whose car I somehow missed outside & instantly worry if they can smell the alcohol on me... then remember I haven't drank in almost a year & there's nothing to worry about.

I even caught myself 'hiding' my bottle of mineral water below window level the last time I passed one in city traffic. Then started laughing at myself! Ha!

I guess habits ingrained as deeply as that don't just die overnight.
Old 03-28-2011, 04:40 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

I use to drive sober but with my drivers license revoked. I would be terrified when a cop was behind me. I've since realized that driving is a privilege not a right. That's what the judge said to me after several DUI's and accidents while intoxicated.
Old 03-28-2011, 05:29 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Yes, because I have a leadfoot.
Old 03-28-2011, 06:00 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Yes, I do this too, just a normal reaction conditioned from years of drinking. Its a huge relief knowing I'm stone cold sober.
Old 03-28-2011, 06:54 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I've gotten so many photo radar tickets since getting sober. When I was drinking I was always driving like an old man because I never really knew how much alcohol was in my system. Despite the tickets, it feels good to be able to drive again without constant worry of DUI reprisal (i never got a DUI but should have a billion times, sadly)
Old 03-29-2011, 08:06 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Oh yes, although it's been over a year since my dui, everytime I see a police car behind me or just around me when I'm driving I get butterflies in my stomach!!! how silly!! I guess it's just a reaction to past actions!!! hopefully one day I will have peace with it!!
Old 03-29-2011, 08:53 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

I get panicked in all kinds of random situations. Police aren't necessarily my trigger but a big one if my husband coming home unexpectedly Or one day he showed up at my son's school to surprise us. I'd never been drunk at my son's school but still my heart skipped many beats and I had to do a little sober check.

It's like a minor form of PTSD.
Old 03-29-2011, 11:22 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I went to a speaker meeting and the man (40 years sober) said something like this......

"I was driving home from an evening meeting and all of a sudden the road narrowed and I had this feeling of being claustrophobic. I soon realized that it was a sobriety checkpoint ahead of me. The police officer shined the light in my face and asked me when I had my last drink. I said January 14th 1972. He laughed and moved me along. Now to any of you who may doubt that I am an alcoholic, the following night I went driving into various neighborhoods on a search for another sobriety checkpoint."
That had me rolling!:rotfxko
Old 03-30-2011, 04:53 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Getting pulled over is painless now until they run me. And I need to divulge at first contact with Law Enforcment that I am on Felony Community Control. Due to the nature and length of my criminal carreer I still get patted down and detained momentarily. A few weeks ago I was on the side of the causeway with my hands in the air while my saddle bags were dumped out and searched, then questioned about any affiliation with local M/C's. All for cutting in front of an unmarked car. But you know what? That uneasy feeling in my stomach isnt there anymore, and I thank God and Bill for that.