Notices

Anxiety?

Old 03-25-2011, 01:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anxiety?

Hi all,

I've recently been experiencing this strange kind of feeling, it could be anxiety as I know there's some link with alcohol there or it could be something else, I'm not sure.

What it is, whenever I'm going to a store, I panic. I'm not going to buy alcohol, but it is a place where I've previously bought alcohol. Could it be my body performing some kind of defence mechanism? It's truly an awful feeling, like my legs are going to go from under me and I'm kind of out of my body for the seconds walking towards the store. It sounds like a panic attack, but it only seems to happen when I'm in this situation. Has anybody ever experienced this?

I know I should consult a doctor and I will, just curious.
Old 03-25-2011, 01:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

How long has it been since you quit drinking? It's normal for anxiety and insomnia to persist for awhile, that's just your brain rebalancing its chemical makeup. That's why programs like AA are great, you can talk about things like this and get feedback from others who have experienced the same thing.

GG
Old 03-25-2011, 02:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I never thought I had anxiety until I quit drinking. When I quit, a bunch of symptoms flared up. It was weird.

Maybe talk to you doctor, get some meds. That's what I did.
Old 03-25-2011, 02:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Clearly this isn't "normal" so do go and see your docs, i've heard it before and it's a mild form of a panic attack which is a clear indication that something needs to change in you as well as stopping drinking...hope you get the help you are looking for:-)
Old 03-25-2011, 02:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I've had similar panic/anxiety attacks to yours, in fact had one yesterday when I ran into the clerk from my "use" to be favorite liquor store. Mine have been getting fewer and further between but are very unpleasant when they happen. I think it's part of my brain trying to re-wire itself after so many years of being soaked in alcohol.