Notices

The time is now

Old 03-18-2011, 04:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The time is now

Greetings everyone!

This is my first post here at SR. Today will be day 1 for me and I am committed to making this work.. This nonsense really has to stop.

I have been abusing alcohol (beer specifically) since around 18 years old. What started as weekend binges with friends at bars transitioned over time to drinking alone at home. In hindsight, It is clear to me that my relationship with alcohol was problematic from the start. When going to bars with friends, getting drunk was the focus, even more so than meeting women. Over time everyone gets busy with life, I entered a serious relationship and slowly started to "settle down". Gradually the transition to drinking at home started and the rest is history.

I've been carrying this nasty addiction far too long. Over the past dozen years or so I've been drinking on average 6-9 beers 2-3 times per week, sometimes more. Basically work and finances are the limiting factors. Most of the time I would drink at home alone but on occasion I'd venture out to a bar and drink alone there.

I have attempted to quit countless times with the longest attempt lasting approximately 6 months. The more I attempt to quit, the harder it seems to take myself seriously and "get it off the ground".

I must put an end this insanity once and for all.

No more bargaining with my addiction.

I look forward to being active on SR and getting to know fellow members.
Old 03-18-2011, 04:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Good to know you are hading into a sober future...

Welcome to our recovery community
Old 03-18-2011, 05:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Perfect place to start! Everyone is very helpful here and they also carry a ton of insight. Good luck, this can work!
Old 03-18-2011, 05:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to the group!

I think my journey here was the opposite of yours- heavy daily drinking that stopped right before I had 4 kids in 6 years. I always said pregnancy saved me from hard-core alcoholism, but little did I know that once the babies stopped coming I'd spiral back down into blackout binge drinking. I just assumed I'd be okay with moderation, and no one else thought I had a problem, so... here I am!! I'm still really new here, but SR is a wonderful site with amazing people and awesome support. I wish you all the best as you start your sober life!
Old 03-18-2011, 06:03 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Not to diminish your drinking but I would have a six pack before breakfast (yeah like I ate breakfast) every day so hopefully the physical part won't be so tough. Just remember withdrawal gets harder every time so do everything you can to make this one your last.
Old 03-18-2011, 06:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

Hi Shackles-

GREAT job posting here and being honest about your problem.

We can and do recover and you can be living proof.

Kjell~
Old 03-18-2011, 06:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
ste
unlearning

Welcome Shackles, I like your user name!

Sooner or later, someone is going to ask, so I might as well.
Do you have a plan to quit, besides willpower and SR?

Sounds like you're serious, and off to a good start. Keep going strong!
Old 03-18-2011, 06:59 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Proud Neonephalist

Good for you for recognizing the signs, and stepping off the one-way downward slope of alcoholism when you did. Many of us here wish we had made that choice decades earlier!!!!

Murray
Old 03-18-2011, 07:57 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome Shackles.... I like that name too! I'm glad you've decided to stop drinking and can relate to the fact that it only gets harder the longer we continue. "Now" is always the best time to address a problem.

Lots of support/understanding here - we know how hard it can be to deal with the compulsion to have "just one more drink." But you can do it, and you sound motivated. Keep posting and reading. We're all on this journey to a better life - so glad you're joining us!:ghug3
Old 03-18-2011, 08:00 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi Shackles, welcome to SR. This is a great place to start, I hope you read alot and post often.
Old 03-19-2011, 04:38 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks for the encouragement everyone!

I'm going to do my best to keep things simple and focus on one day at a time. Tonight I'm going to load up on some diet sodas.. and maybe some chips (but not too many chips )

@Ste, I'm going to have to give some serious thought toward having a plan to follow (especially long-term) other than SR and willpower. For now I will start working out regularly at a gym and look into getting involved slowly with some group activities. Now that spring / summer is on the way, I would like to sign up with a local sports league. Lots of downtime / boredom are big triggers for me.
Old 03-19-2011, 04:49 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi Shackles - Welcome to SR and I'm glad you are here. You picked a fantastic place to support your journey into sobriety. Congratulations
on day one. Those first days can be really hard. Boy I wouldn't want to go
through them again for anything. Please stick around, post as much as you want/can. Looking forward to getting to know you better.
Old 03-19-2011, 06:33 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

lots of great advice here Shackles
Welcome to SR

D
Old 03-19-2011, 06:50 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome, Shackles!

Yes, some sort of plan is important going forward...it can be hard to stay quit, and like many (or most) here I've fallen off the wagon more times than I can count!

Visit and read often, this is a great resource.