Notices

No coping mechanism?

Old 03-15-2011, 09:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
where the light is

No coping mechanism?

On Monday, my girlfriend's mom was diagnosed with some really scary health issues - cancer, parkinsons, and her diabetes has advanced. She will be getting an operation but the doctor is not certain if he can get all of the cancer. My girlfriend who has had some drinking issues in the past will be okay because she is relying on her spirituality and her friends to get her through this. I seriously doubt if her brother, an alcoholic, will maintain his sobriety because he has always hid in a bottle when the going gets tough.

Last year, I made it though the end of my marriage sober by leaning on my AA friends, counsellor, family, and the 12 Steps (I turned it over to my Higher Power). It was the worst experience in my life, each day a living hell, but I started to see some rays of sunlight after about six weeks. If I didn't have a way to cope with those horrible thoughts and emotions, I'm sure I would have bought a case of beer and bottle of whiskey. In the past, it was the only way I knew how to deal with life.

I've noticed a lot of posts, people sharing about the difficulties they are having with their current life situation. These challenges do include the "boredom" or even just making a major lifestyle change. Just a thought, but what are you doing to change the way you think, to develop that inner strength required to get through those inevitable challenging times?

I find that after a while, staying sober is easy as long as everything is going well. Happy, grateful, living the good life! But the real test is when life throws you a curve ball. Where will you turn to? Willpower?

AA is not the only way but do try something different. Counselling, religion, even self help books. You do have that strength within you (for me, and from an AA/spiritual perspective - the God within) but you have to nurture it.

Best of luck to everyone. You are on a good path.
Old 03-15-2011, 09:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

hey. congrats to you for staying sober. That is truly amazing. I can't personally give you any real advice about quitting drinking or changing thinking patterns or anything, because i am still struggling to over come the addiction myself. but i definetly think that when things are going good in your life its easier to be able to stay sober. i personally reach for the bottle when i'm depressed and bad things are happening to me in my life. but I have to learn how to re adjust my thinking. to reach for something else when i'm sad, instead of the booze. something more healthier, better for me. I need to become stronger. and i think that i just need to really focus on what is important in life, what truly matters. and stop seeking the highs out of life, and just strive to be happy in the moment. good luck to you.
Old 03-15-2011, 09:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by gravity View Post
AA is not the only way but do try something different. Counselling, religion, even self help books. You do have that strength within you (for me, and from an AA/spiritual perspective - the God within) but you have to nurture it.
I talk to friends to expose my demons and bring them to light. I ask God for the courage and help to fight my demons. I lift weights so I can whip my demons ass if push comes to shove. I read self help books especially ones related to socialization to remove my demons' grasp over my relationships.
I study inspirational stories, quotes and religious texts so I can attack my demons from more than one angle.

In other words I agree wholeheartedly
Old 03-15-2011, 10:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Reading other people's posts and reflecting on my flawed coping mechanisms has made me realize that I have to learn how to express emotion instead of trying to distract myself from it. Right now I have no clue how to do that, but I'm turning it around in my brain.
Old 03-16-2011, 02:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
where the light is

Originally Posted by UniqueNewYork View Post
I talk to friends to expose my demons and bring them to light. I ask God for the courage and help to fight my demons. I lift weights so I can whip my demons ass if push comes to shove. I read self help books especially ones related to socialization to remove my demons' grasp over my relationships.
I study inspirational stories, quotes and religious texts so I can attack my demons from more than one angle.

In other words I agree wholeheartedly
I do all of that too. I also went all out in my recovery, hitting it from every angle.

Exercise is a big one for me. Hitting the gym has so many benefits - physical fitness, stress relief, socializing... I get there 3-5 times a week and is always the highlight of my day. It's a big benefit of sobriety, having time/energy to work out.

From todays daily meditation "Touchstones": Spiritual recovery and physical health go hand in hand. Couldn't agree more!
Old 03-16-2011, 02:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
where the light is

Originally Posted by bevin View Post
Reading other people's posts and reflecting on my flawed coping mechanisms has made me realize that I have to learn how to express emotion instead of trying to distract myself from it. Right now I have no clue how to do that, but I'm turning it around in my brain.
You're on to something quite important I think. Learning to work through our problems rather than ignoring them or distracting ourselves from them. Builds strength, eh?
Old 03-16-2011, 03:32 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

For me, the daily reward for staying sober, and strengthening my resolve, comes from the knowledge that I'm a better dog mom sober. I can see the results of my sober life in their smiling shiny selves. I'm devoted to giving them the best care and can do so as long as I stay sober... and that makes it 'easy' to stay sober and get my canine reward.

I realize that's not for everyone, but that's what works for me. They're my best antidepressant 'medicine'.