Notices

Day ten.

Old 03-15-2011, 11:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day ten.

The weekend, (especially saturday) was a difficult one to get through but by the end of it I realized how good I felt about it.
Friday night was date night with my boyfriend, we met at a restaurant where I would've had about two glasses of wine before he showed up to meet me. Instead I had a disgusting glass of peach lemonade mixed with sweet tea. It sounded good on the "non-alcoholic drinks" menu so I decided to give it a shot. Eww, next time I will stick with water.
We enjoyed our meal and then went to see a movie. The drive home is always long because I live about 40 minutes out of town. I usually don't recall a drive or ride home after an evening out. In the past, I was blacked out or too busy bickering about some insane thing to even notice the night time.
Saturday was the hard one. It was gorgeous out and my boyfriend and I did a lot of running around, getting things done. By the end of the day I just wanted a beer. He and I both talked me out of it. Good thing because on Sunday when we woke up we went to hike up around Max Patch in NC (look it up if you want, it's beautiful!) I felt good all day long! Went to my parents for a visit and then back home to watch a movie.
Man, sobriety kicks alcoholisms butt if you keep your mind on it.

I am worried about one date though, my good friend is getting married on May 21st, I'm one of her bridesmaids. Everybody at and in the wedding are big drinkers.
Some advice?
Old 03-15-2011, 12:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Congrats on getting through any period that triggers you to drink.

Originally Posted by Linz View Post
I am worried about one date though, my good friend is getting married on May 21st, I'm one of her bridesmaids. Everybody at and in the wedding are big drinkers.
Some advice?
The easiest advice to give is to say, don't go. The hardest advice to take would be to not go, due to committments, perceived relationships that will be shattered if you don't go, along with the simple fact that you may want to share this day with your friend.

May is a couple months away. Your sobriety may be strong enough (and I stress the may) to deal with a situation where there is drinking. You have a couple options. Tell your friend, or several fellow bridemaids that you aren't drinking so you can be accountable. Or, just attend the wedding and bail out of the reception. If you do go to the reception, have an escape plan so you can leave if the temptation becomes too great.

I sure others will have additional ideas. However, the more I think about it, the more I wouldn't even go, but then, I'm a guy!

Good luck.
Old 03-15-2011, 12:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

My advice would be to let everyone that you're close to, that will be at the wedding, know you are in recovery. Also, talk to your sponsor, if you have one and let them know. Make a plan, maybe go to a meeting before the wedding or the night before to keep your mind on sobriety. I went to my sister in-laws wedding in October and took my own car so that I could leave if i got uncomfortable with all the drinking.
I was in my brothers wedding as a bridesmaid and everyone who knew me knew i was a recovering alcoholic. There was no way I was going to miss the wedding so i was well prepared for the drinking that was going to be happening. I kept my husband by my side as support and had a great time, sober. I just drank lots of coke to keep me going with the caffeine. If you have a sober friend that can be your buddy and keep you company, that would be great.
Make a plan and stick to it. Hope that helps!
Old 03-15-2011, 02:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi! I would arm yourself with as much support as you can before the event like reading something about sobriety(maybe the 'Big Book' of Alcoholics Anonymous) coming here on SR and reading some posts or posting something yourself, and most important of all, I would pray for divine assistance! I went to an unavoidable event and felt like I didn't know if I could make it through, so I got down on my knees and prayed and it worked! I wish you the very best! Congratulations on your sober time!!!